Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crafty777

Another Crash Glass Piece

crafty777
15 years ago

Just wanted to show something else I have been doing with crash glass. It makes really nice candle holders.

Comments (16)

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

This is crash glass?? Looks like you tumbled it, painted it and wrapped with wire. It sure is pretty!!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Doesn't look like the crash glass (tempered glass) that I've seen. Sure is pretty, though, and I LOVE the candle shelter. Please explain your technique - it's lovely w/the wire, especially the colors of the glass. Looks sorta like beads too.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Love this. Crash glass???? Surely not.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I bet that candle holder looks REALLY beautiful when it's got a candle lit in it. It looks like you wrapped each piece of glass in wire and then glued them on? Hmmmm, always a new idea here! It's great!

• shrty411
    15 years ago

That is really nice!! I'd like to know how you did it too!!

• crafty777
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. It is crash glass, put in the kiln to round it and soften the edges. Then painted with glass paint. And wraped with wire. And yes it is really nice when a candle is lit.Puts off all kinds of colors.

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

WOW! This is really cool! Please tell us what kind of adhesive you used to keep the glass and wire on?

Becky

• texaswild
    15 years ago

How very clever a technique - wonderful results.

• crafty777
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ive always used Silicone II. It works really well with the wire wraped around it.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Crafty, that is a fantastic idea!! I love those colors but still don't understand. Are those pieces really small?? Or did you some how put them together??

And what kind of paint did you use?? Do you have to use a kiln??DEEP Sigh

really really cool and beautiful!

• crafty777
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are not real small I would say most are 1". I use Pebeo glass paint. The main reason I used the kiln basically was to find something cheap to practice on in the kiln. Then I liked the affect. But Ive done it with out the kiln. The glass is not really what I call sharp but will still poke if its pointy so I watch for those pieces. The hardest part is to find pieces big enough.

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

that candle holder is exactly like one that I have and now use as a coffee mug..
    it's square and a bit rounded..I like it cuz if the coffee is too hot to hold it, it's too hot to drink.
    it's been sitting here on the table for a while, just asking to be mosaiced but I sorta re-designated it to a 'mug'...lol
    I really like the wire work you did on that piece......

Becky

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

wow, thats fabulous! and so creative!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Ahhh...a kiln...soooo jealous!hee ho! How cool to experiment like this!Looks great! I too, love the wire!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Way cool!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

I keep coming back to look at this piece, and am still in awe of how beautiful those glass shards are. Gotta try that Pebeo paint, especially the orange and pink. I'm thinking to make some faux Van Gogh w/those colors, since those colors are impossible to find in china and stained glass. Oh, BTW, CALAM. The artist in the workshop I'm taking in PV is bringing a small kiln so we can make some tiles for our project. Better re-think taking that workshop. My sister is going w/me.

Sponsored
Expert Cabinetry Refinishing & Refacing in Loudoun County