Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

the Djinn vessel (genie bottle)

nicethyme
15 years ago

This is for a challenge on another site.

my colors and design are dictated by what I have in stock. when I settled on this color combo, one of the things that matched but didn't fit was 2 ceramic tiles I got from Flagtruck in the tess exchange. I needed to use them so that I could stretch what little I had in other colors.

So I came up with a scenario whereby the bottle had been hidden - built into a clay vessel and buried for thousands of years in the dessert and what you see now is remains of that clay still clinging to the bottle. - it was a good way to deal with the thickness issue of the ceramic. And is inspired by a method Seaglassic uses.

so then I ended up using different thicknesses and materials all over it and the design requires a few different grout colors, the white marble won't be grouted at all... I think I'll end up taping it off 3-4 times in different ways to accomplish it all.

Comments (25)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is my 1st foray into the use of smalti and I didn't have much so I had to stretch it by cutting it real small and interspersing some complimentary glass. So the whole orange area is quite textured. I cut up 3 slices of agate that I had in those sunset tones for the diamonds. I raised the level of the square paua beads by gluing a piece of glass on the back of each one.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I used a red smalto tile for the fill but again didn't have much so I added some matching faux gogh to stretch it.

I didn't feel like their was enough contrast in the colors so I grouted the arches in terra cotta (taped inside edge of paua squares to grout)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

now it gets tricky, I wanted the ceramic to look broken. I wanted the white edge to remain but I also needed to use a dark grout. So I taped a "dam" around the ceramic areas and filled the edge grout lines with white grout to keep the dark grout from showing on that exposed edge.

and this is the result.

I still need to finish the stopper and pick a grout color for the red. Charcoal I think.

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh this is going to be so cool-my goodness you are going to a ton of work! But the creation is stunning and you have created a very interesting piece of art! I love this! What will you do with it after the challenge?

Becky

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know, I usually give my stuff away

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

You can send it this way! (just joking)

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Good Job Nice!! I like the two colors of grout! Is this that for that site that does all the same Genie Bottles?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jane, nah just a Flickr challenge

• joyy
    15 years ago

i love it!!!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

You keep coming up w/the most original and creative projects, and this is no exception. You keep right on amazing me w/your creativity. Who else but my favorite little girl could put a few scrap pieces together and make something so beautiful? GEESH - if only I had a pin head bit of your talent!!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Joy!

Slow - you lil hiefer! lol its because I know this really inspiring artist in Texarkana that introduced me to stainedglass mosaics and she constantly thinks outside of the box! lol thank you!

• klinger
    15 years ago

What a great bottle. I love how you combined so many different things and it looks awesome
    Cindy

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Cindy, good to see you!

its done!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my latest favorite. You CAN'T make anything I don't love. Truly a beautiful piece of art. Girlie - you are G.O.O.D.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can you part w/this???????????

• ladyronnie
    15 years ago

HI NT! I'm crawling out from under my rock to say I really love this! (Haven't been around in quite a while.) I have been thinking of asking you to resurrect something you made that inspired me and I wanted another look at, but danged if I can think right now what it was!

Anyway, love the bottle!

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

this has been too cool, to watch it evolve...

you really did a wonderful job
    with a great pictorial, to go along, for us to follow.

• klinger
    15 years ago

oooohhhhh,aaaaaahhhh, it's gorgeous! Wow that's beautiful. I'm snowed in today again. I was gonna bake peanutbutter cookes. Now I just have to go glue something instead. Gosh I like how that turned out. I'd love to do one on my guest bathroom counter with epsom salts in it.
    Cindy

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

NT, that is fabulous!!! I love the story and way you used different materials and different grouts and colors and your cutting skills!! and on and on and on!!!!

Excellenty You go girl.

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

OH>.. it's gorgeous! I love your colors!
    All those tiny pieces... and your grouting is amazing!
    I love the story... the clay breaking away, etc.
    Very, very creative!
    It's just beautiful, nice!
    I'll bet you win the challenge!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Just beautiful! I'll bet there IS a jeenie living in there it's so nice!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

It's truley a magical Djinn that must live in such a glorious bottle! I really like the tiny details on the stopper, too!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thankyou Slow, Ronnie(where you been?), Seaglassic, Klinger, Mermaid, Fiddlekate, Squirrelly, and Cindiloo! I'm playing memory game - i cheated twice! lol

• daisyme
    15 years ago

How did I ever miss this beautiful creation? I'm so glad it came to the top again so I got to see it. It was really wonderful to read your scenario for the bottle, and how you accomplished the look and feel. Great job!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW! It turned out so AWESOME!!! I LOVE how you finished the topper!! Inspiring!

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Yes to all realy love it.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida