Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinset? On a rubber ball???

Posted by mmqchdygg (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 07 at 9:15

Help me out here. I'm trying to make sense of the specific adhesive applications for each product, and I came across this DIY project that uses thinset on a rubber ball. Why does this work? I would think that a clear-glue product would be more conducive to the rubber...like silicone perhaps.

(And did you catch that mile-long "ingredients" list?! Cripes, that would scare me away if I didn't know better!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinset? On a rubber ball???

Saw this on t.v.very interesting and time consuming I would think.

o

The rubber ball is just an armature for concrete sculpture and not the actual substrate.

o

ahhhhhhh...now see, if I had READ the article...DOH!

o

Also, the ball will eventually deflate - even just a little.

The thinset and mesh provide a much sturdier substrate than a rubber ball alone.

o

Thanks for the link. I've saved several of my sons basketballs, smaller and regular size. Eventually, I am going to look at the expert advice here and hypertufa forum and now this article to get going on them. Still don't know if they will be spheres or itty bitty planters. I'm thinking they might be good to package up packets of seeds or small plants for Easter or Mother's Day. Ask me closer to the time how much progress I've made......

o

So if the ball deflates in the future, will it crack the thinset you think?
Bianchi

o

no. the thinset is not the substrate. An acrylic concrete with fiberglass mesh is the substrate - at that point the ball becomes inconsequential and was considered a temporary form in which to make the concrete sphere. The thinset is applied to that.

If it were applied to the rubber ball it surely would crack as the temps change the inflation rate of the ball.
I have read that can be a very big problem with applieing concrete on an inflated ball if temps change IE working outdoors.

o

That sounds WAYYYYYYYYYY too complicated...I'll stick to bowling balls LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here