Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing fiberglass mesh smalti mosaic

Posted by palmetto_moon (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 11, 08 at 3:34

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I just finished my second mosaic, first smalti mosaic. I used Weldbond on mesh, and I'm planning to install on a wall with thinset (size is 16 x 16). I'm apprehensive-some of my smalti are butted right up against each other, and others have spaces, and I was heavy-handed with my Weldbond. It seems every smalti mosaic I see, though there's no grout, achieves a "groutish" look---I suppose this is because thinset is used as the adhesive in some instances, and in some others, they self-grout, which is what I hope to acheive, although because of how very close some smalti are and because some holes of my mesh are blocked, I worry that the self-grouting will be spotty at best.
So, I've just spent a considerable amount of time picking glue from between the smalti (I was afraid they'd all fall out when I did that; some did, and I fear more still will when I pick the piece up--do you ever use clear tape on the front to hold a piece together while you're installing?). So now there are a lot more open holes. Is there any way to get the thinset in from the front? A pastry bag, perhaps, or could I use premixed grout in a pastry bag?
Do my concerns sound valid, or if I just put it on the thinset and "smoosh", will I likely be OK?

Thanks for your help. My house is on a tour on SUNDAY and I have to get this thing on the wall!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing fiberglass mesh smalti mosaic

Seems you're already pretty knowledgeable on your technique. In my limited experience, and NONE w/smalti, I've seldome seen it grouted. If you wish to do the method you propose, I'd suggest to smoosh lightly, and fill in your blank areas as you've suggested w/a pastry bag - small tip w/thinset. Yes, I've seen others use the tape on front to hold it together while it's installed. I assume this is for an interior wall??? If so, the pre-mixed stuff w/ work. Welcome to the forum. Don't know how much you've read up on us, but we LOVE pictures - even works in progress (WIPs). Anxious to see a picture b/f and after installation.

o

Welcome To The Group

Wish I could help, but I haven't worked with Smalti yet myself. Welcome!

o

Palmetto, I'm up against exactly the same issue, I'm just not as far along as you, so I'm very very interested in what works. I too wasn't spare with the weldbond, and am using smalti, and will thinset directly on the wall.

Just last weekend I put up a piece of smalti in an indirect method (no glue no fiberglass), and was surprised by how much thinset oozed up through the gaps. It looks grouted in places (until I have time to dig parts of it out). That kind of reassured me that there will be enough thinset coming through that those heavily glued spots won't be a big deal. Does that make sense at all? I'm more concerned about any larger gaps where there is lots of glue -- I don't want the mesh to show - an in those cases I'll put a tiny bit of thinset down in those spots and use a little paintbrush to even it out.

Best of luck and PLEASE report back on your success - with pictures hopefully!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here