Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palmetto_moon

Installing fiberglass mesh smalti mosaic

palmetto_moon
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I just finished my second mosaic, first smalti mosaic. I used Weldbond on mesh, and I'm planning to install on a wall with thinset (size is 16 x 16). I'm apprehensive-some of my smalti are butted right up against each other, and others have spaces, and I was heavy-handed with my Weldbond. It seems every smalti mosaic I see, though there's no grout, achieves a "groutish" look---I suppose this is because thinset is used as the adhesive in some instances, and in some others, they self-grout, which is what I hope to acheive, although because of how very close some smalti are and because some holes of my mesh are blocked, I worry that the self-grouting will be spotty at best.

So, I've just spent a considerable amount of time picking glue from between the smalti (I was afraid they'd all fall out when I did that; some did, and I fear more still will when I pick the piece up--do you ever use clear tape on the front to hold a piece together while you're installing?). So now there are a lot more open holes. Is there any way to get the thinset in from the front? A pastry bag, perhaps, or could I use premixed grout in a pastry bag?

Do my concerns sound valid, or if I just put it on the thinset and "smoosh", will I likely be OK?

Thanks for your help. My house is on a tour on SUNDAY and I have to get this thing on the wall!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm