Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mermaidmosaics

Chez Fleur De Mer House Post sign

Mermaid
15 years ago

here I go, I am finally taking on our front post. It will take a long time but Wedi board is cut into mulitple pieces, wedi washers in , dropped $$ at stained glass shop so i have no excuses now.

I'm just playing with the letters, and shapes of the tropical flowers. I hate the bird of paradise, it bears no resemblance to a real one, and i've been playing for a couple hours, just can't see to make it click. oh well. nothing glued down , just seeing what looks good.

Will be using Irid. pale sun from Maryland Mosaics as background tile You might be able to see the one freebe tile I got from Kathy that got me hooked.

Our house in now named Chez Fleur De Mer , instead of the previous Beach Flower House, in honor of our fabulous time at a B&B in Loire Valley. Not a literal translation, but perfect for us and our very own B&B!

Here is a link that might be useful: Beginnings of Front post sign

Comments (52)

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Gonna look great. Quite a project, indeed.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Meadel for the link, For some reason, I couldn't get mine to work here. Post is 5" each side and about 8' tall You're seeing the second set of the post, there is another one just this length and a short section at the top.

Kathy, let me get the pix of the post and post it. Sorry for stupid pun

Slow, yes indeedy,a longggggggg project.

• silvamae
    15 years ago

It will be gorgeous!! I especially like the pink and yellow flowers - hibiscus? Wow, this will be just beautiful.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

That is just gonna be gorgeous!
    I love looking at all your work anywho!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW! Ambitious project! It's gonna be gorgeous!

• klinger
    15 years ago

I think it's gonna be great, can't wait to see it done,
    Cindy

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Finally got to see it mermaid. My goodness, you sure do jump in with these BIG projects don't ya. From one beauty to waht I am sure will be another. Keep em coming.

Kathy

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yea, Kathy, I DO tend to jump into big things.. I get tired of hearing you can't do that... so just have to do exactly that!! BG

Silva, yes it is supposed to be hibiscus, i was trying for plumerias too, but haven't got the leaves smooth enough.

Calamity, Slow, Klinger, Texas. Thanks i played around with the bird yesterday evening and got it looking good until I figured out what was wrong , was the color of the flower, need to be oranger.. so gotta order some more tile.

just ordered the background from Maryland mosaics. why did i have to pick the most expensive..??

Still i keep repeating after myself, this is the front post of your house, you have to make it look good or else no one will ever come visit!!!

I'll take a pix tomorrow to update

• daisyme
    15 years ago

It's going to be Oh, so special! I love all the flowers and colors already. You really do know how to maximize a project. This'll be fun to see. You go, Girl!

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

Nobody on this forum is afraid of using LOTS of color! I've seen your stuff off and on for a year or so. It's really beautiful. PJ

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Friday's progress. . I am sick and tired of redoing those bird of paradise. When I looked at these final pix that i had glued down, I hate them even more. , Cut a few of the real ones for inspiration but that didn't help. I SInce it is on the north side of the post , I am not as worried, because you won't be looking at it when you walk up to the house.

Hope to do better when I start from scratch. I can see these photos now hope you can if not, just go to my outside mosaics And thanks so much for all the kind words. It does mean a lot to me. Thanks

Also, a pix of Flag inspired concrete block. Will take another pix tomorrow of tops and other side. I used all of my ugly duckling ceramic tiles on the left side, and then added some cool tile I got from the tess exchange from Silva.

HOpe this link works we'll see

Here is a link that might be useful: Porch post

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Gosh Mermaid this is just like Xmas morning. Can't wait to see the results. You may not think the bop doesn't look right but to me it looks good. We're waiting for the unveiling so don't take forever. LOL

Kathy

• texaswild
    15 years ago

WHAT is your PROBLEM, Girlie????? The BOP is PERFECT!!! This is gonna be a great project to watch. Like your blocks too. I'm envious - not ready to begin mosaicing yet - after finishing two quilts, going to DD's in Dallas for Thanksgiving, and now I need to finish Christmas shopping then clean house. So, I'll just enjoy y'alls' projects. You're really pumpin' 'em out lately. Fun stuff, too.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, here is Saturday's progress. One panel is almost done except for background tile that i ordered from Kathy , it's organiz, recycled glass. in ir. pale sun. You can see what they color is in the the right panel with the pink flowers. the color is surrounding the far right of the petal. I only had one freebie LOL

I'm exhausted. we're painting some walls for Christmas guest. but i had to get some progress.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chez Fleur De Mer Sat. progress

• texaswild
    15 years ago

WONDERFUL. This is gonna be soooooo beautiful. Give us a picture of where this is going on your house, please. Something tells me you have an addiction - just like I do. Isn't it life-changing????? I'll be glad to get back to mine, but gotta do housework first, and work on wrapping gifts.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here you go Slow. Here's our post. Made of wood with hardiboard planks, after numerous changes, decided to use wediboard as the base.

I used plexiglass as the orginal beach flower house sign. After a few weeks , it was dangerously close to buckling, so changed gears and decided why no the whole post!!!!! and this is where i am

Still looking for a place to hang my original sign..

YES!!!! my name is mermaid and I am a mosaic addict!!! I can't stop .
    ROFL and it sure is fun!!!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OH, I LOOOOOOVVVEEE THE ORIGINAL SIGN!!!!!!!!! Hadn't seen those before. NOW I know what you're talking about on the post. What a WONDERFUL idea!!!!! I have a wrought iron wide panel. Thanks a lot, brat!!!!!!! Now I gotta think about what design I should do to cover it w/mosaics. Oh, brother! Here I go again on ideas b/f finishing current projects.

• silvamae
    15 years ago

Mermaid, I hope you got my emails. I will check back in here tomorrow night to see.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

You're not only an addict, but you're a talented artist. Wow, I am so impressed. Everything is beautiful. And I can't think of a THING I don't like about your birds of paradise. Rock on!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry Slow if I egged you on to start yet another fantastic project. BG problem is, there are so many things that look better mosaiced. LOL.

Silva, got your email. Thanks.after i check out those sites, i'll send you a reply. just love that color.

Daisy, you are such a sweetie. You are one talented artist yourself.
    Didn't get to work on the post today but hope to tomorrow. I did tweak the words a bit, that's all though.

A day without mosaics is a day without color. I just made that up. I think i'll make that my signature. LOL

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Well well mermaid, this is blowing me away. After seeing where you are going to hang you signs, I can hardly wait to see the finished post. The colors to the front door will help to make it pop. Do I understand you correctly, the bottom pic you posted was done on plexi glass?? And you switched gears and redid on wedi?? How tall are the plexi pieces? As tall as posts??? Like the rest we are like kids waiting to see the panels installed. They are beautiful.

Kathy

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

What can I add to the comments but another "EYE POPPING"!!!!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks . Kathy, one of the reasons I wanted to do mosaics was to make a sign post for our house. Being rather more than clueless in the beginning, I made signs on acrylic. DH nailed then on our post. In a very short time, they started to show signs of buckling!!! We yanked them off before they had a chance to self destruct. Just too much Florida sun and heat for thin acrylic, i think it was 1/4" . Plus i couldn't figure out how to backlight it to see that gorgeous oceana glass.

decided that wedi board would be perfect substrate, and why not mosaic the ENTIRE post. No way would my body survive mosaicing the post outside so.. that is where we are..

Here is a link that might be useful: Tues. progress

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Calamity, hope it's a good "Eye popping"!! LOL.

Kathy, oops forgot to answer . the original signs were about 4" wide and 24" long, there were three of them and it would have only covered one side of our post, this way, I am covering all 8' and 20" around when you factor in the wedi board thickness..

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Looking good!! Your flowers are very tropicaly!

• klinger
    15 years ago

I really love how this is all progressing, your color choices and the pattern are stunning. It's going to look wonderful when you're done,
    Cindy

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I so love these flowers!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks you gals, does my heart and head good to hear nice comments.

Got my iridescent. pale sun tile today so I HAD to finish one of the panels right??? On my it is GORGEOUS glass,I love it even more now, despite the sticker shock!!!.

Here is my first panel with everything except grout. Could use some help on grout colors???

Here is a link that might be useful: 12_4 progress

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OH, OH, OH!!! How beautiful. I'd be tempted to use black grout, but charcoal w/probably be my choice, if it were mine. Absolutely wonderful.

• silvamae
    15 years ago

Fabulous! Wonderful! I would vote for charcoal grout also. If not that, then Sandstone (pale brown).

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

This is soooo beautiful! I've never been to Florida before but it reminds me of an artists beach house, makes me just want to go up and knock on the door and meet the artist!!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Silva and squirrelly. You make me feel great. Being an artist was never anything I ever thought of myself as..

Here is the lastest update. Took these letters apart so many times the wedi board was gashed. Word to the wise, don't use much mac glue if you think you might want to change your design with wediboard!!!

Anyway, here is the last few days progress. Not the best pix with all the glossy tile but I think you can read the sign now.

Here is a link that might be useful: 12_8 progress

• katishooked
    15 years ago

STUNNING

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

LOVELY!!! Really Eye Popping...in a Good Way!lol!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much gals, I played around with the Chez Fleur words to make it easier to read from the the street, and finished panel 3 , with four in the works. This is going to take a while!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chez Fleur De Mer Sat. progress

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Beautiful...just beautiful! I think you are doing this pretty fast....and doing a fantastic job on it, too!

• katishooked
    15 years ago

These are going look awesome on your post. Great job. By the way I got to see your other while i was browsing this update.

Kathy

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Panel 4 is done!!! Yea. I've got 8 more to go.!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chez Fleur 12_17 progress

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, post is ready to install. I laid it out on the floor so you can get an idea of what it will look like. I have to get DH to install it for me and he is getting over the flu, so we'll see.

I plan to install and then grout it . Not sure of grout color, any other ideas?? I am thinking gray or maybe a brown, though I don't have any brown. Still after all of this, I want to get it perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chez Fleur De Mer post

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Brown may be a good choice. I looked at your pix a while imagining brown grout. I think a dk brwon would look good. But if you are not comfortable with brown I'd definitely stick with charcoal. Oh the decisions we must make. But it will be perfect either way you go.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW!!! AMAZING!!! Any color would look good on this baby!!! All those colors...wow! Grey has a way of being subtle and so makes the colors POP! I am a diehard Black fan but that may not go with your overall desired effect.
    Hope Hubby is doing better today!

• klinger
    15 years ago

Wow this is gorgeous. I think grey might be a good choice. It will make the design be the focal point and look really good I think.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DH got some great brownie points by installing my post panels today. It's turning out to be a much bigger job than I thought after the installation. Now I am touching up all of the places we had wedi washers and regular washers, used at least 5 per panel. and no idea WHY i didn't consider the sides of the panels, but i didn't so those all need to be tiled and need to just blend them all together so they look seemless. Spend this afternoon until it got dark starting the work.

i've been using thinset and it is so messy for this work, but I couldn't think of anything else that will hold the tess when they are vertical.

here you go. also did a grout test, you can see it on my flickr site

Here is a link that might be useful: Chez Fleur De Mer installed

• katishooked
    15 years ago

I like very much. Mermaid these so fit with everything surrounding them.

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Girl that is looking so great!!!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I FINISHED my post this week. I'm happy how it turned out all kinds of hiccups, here it is.

I hope to use the grout sealer in a week and then maybe spray with several coast of acrylic to keep the gloss. What do you all think of using clear acrylic like Krylon that doesn't yellow??

There are several pix of the various sides of the column if you look at my flickr site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chez Fleur De Mer post grouted

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Mermaid this turned out abslutely terrific. What are you using for sealer? I'm not an expert but would want to keep the the shine also. I love that and you first pic shows this real well. Job well done.

Kathy

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kathy. I planned on using Tile Lab tile and grout sealer. adna then use Krylon's acrylic for the extra protection. HOpe that works.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just finished putting the second coat of Tile lab sealer on my post. Decided against the Krylon since I'd die if it yellowed over time .

Kathy at Maryland Mosaics told me that Organix sun tile had the glaze baked in so it should stay that way for quite some time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chez Fleur Finished

• texaswild
    15 years ago

I commented on your other thread - so glad I got to see this cuz I missed the finishing. Absoultely wonderful. I can just see my back patio posts all gussied up now. Don't know if it'll happen, but I can dream. BEAUTIFUL job.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm