Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
koi pond table, GOG

Posted by nicethyme (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 11 at 23:07

I am finally cutting glass after a long hiatus from mosaics. I picked up this glass top table at auction one night when no one made a bid and I stuck it in storage waiting for the mood to strike.

I knew then that I wanted to do a koi pond scene but it wasn't until I got that thing out last week did it finally come together on paper

fish pond table

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: koi pond table, GOG 2

so today I started cutting and gluing, but had the overwhelming urge to do the fill 1st. One of the things pointed at by critiques on my chickchickCHICKENS was that they had no shadows so I'm trying to created that here using the darker portions of the blue glass and mingling it with black.

background 1st

o
RE: koi pond table, GOG

Doing the FILL 1st!?!!!! WOW! NT boldly goes where no mosaicer has gone before!!! This table is gonna be SUPER!!! I have a pond in my yard and have fancy goldfish and lilies...I love sitting by the pond! I LOVE the movement you already have going on.... it reminds me of how awesome the movement of your chickens pc is. It also makes me remeber your truck pc! Ahhh, the memories....The Hand table, DD's door....The clacking cat...heh heh!

o

lol Jane

It just seems like mosaic is so daunting to me that if I leave the fill til the end, I may never do it. I don't know what happened to cause me to see it as such a task and not the pure joy it was but I'm hoping I'll find that place.

o

Just your drawing and coloring blows me away. What a wonderful start. Yes, shadows make a huge difference. I so admire your talent to produce such stunning work.

o

Oh My, I just had a vision of this lit up at night...who needs a real pond!!!!!!!

o

I missed this !! It is going to be so cool and I am so glad your back!!!

o

It's going to be beautiful!! Yur drawing is beautiful!! Can;t wait to see it done!!

o

Jealous, jealous, jealous.
I now know what I need - You to draw the picture so I can mosaic it. I will never be able to come close to this.
They look real.

o

aww thanks everyone.

Jane, that was exactly my thoughts - this table on an outdoor patio, your personal koi pond to sit around

o

Wow, how awesome. I came back to this board after a long absence, results of an accident. (I used to be bianchi on here) Anyway your koi table is going to be so beautiful, and I looked at your chickens too. How naturally you captured the chickens feeding. I love it. You are a true artist.
Right now I am just looking and enjoying all the mosaic artists on here. will be a loong time before I can mosaic again. But some day.....

o

awww thank you Inge!

I'm trying to keep up my motivation by posting progress so here we are about halfway on the fill

just more water

o

This is going to be stunning! I love it already. Will be watching closely.

o

thanks Silva, I just hope I can achieve that shading on the fish that I got with chalks... at least doing the fill 1st is giving me time to study my glass tones and think about how the andamento should lay to get that look of 3D fishness lol

o

Shadows...andamento....heck, it shows how important that is...cuz compared to my slap it together look, it sure encourages me to take my time and get a whole different result! I think I'll do the same...get another wip pic happenin'...even tho it sure does not come close to how great this pc of yours is comin' along!

o

meh, everybody's work is great! Its good to see all the different styles.. truthfully I'd love to be slapping something together but I have hopes for this table to be a big $$ fundraiser.

still plugging along on the water

just more background

o

You're so dedicated to those causes, NT - bless you for it. Doing a fantastic job of the water - shadowing makes such a difference, and you've got it and the andamento down pat. I see so much movement. What's the size of the table?

o

thanks Slow, I am really thrilled with how the movement of the water has turned out.

Its about 2 1/2'x4'

o

Looking good! Do you have the table base for this? What type of silicone are you using? I am not prepared to use anymore marine silicone, it is getting waaaay overpriced, went up a buck in the last year. But when I was looking for some good outside silicone, I came up with this stuff called "Big stretch" 10.5 oz, dries clear, when I do my other project, I am gonna give this stuff a try. The marine silicone was great cuz it was the size of a big tube of toothpaste, but a caulking gun is gonna be my new friend cuz you get 2x the amount for the same price!

o

Well duh, CALAM - I told you that years ago - the tube stuff is waaaay too expensive, and you can never get all of it outta the tube. Been using the caulking gun the whole time. Squeeze a little out and w/my little knife, spread it on. Can you not find GE Silicon for windows/doors or Dap brand - same stuff? That's what I use when I use silicon - seldom.

o

I'm using GEII, its been ages since I used silicone for anything but its been that long since I did an all weather project. For a substitute for indoor stuff I like polyseamseal but I can't trust it for this

o

Looking great!

o

I now trust only GEII. I had some Dap and used it on clear glass and it yellowed badly. And was very easy to pull off.

What are you using for adhesive on your table? Did I miss it somewhere in the posts?

I would go to that fund raiser and buy it! Can't wait to see the fish come to life.

Calamity: (Great name.) You might want to try what I do with caulk and mortar. I take a sandwich bag and squeeze out about how much I think I will use down into one corner of the bag. Keep it pointed down and it will fill like a cone. Then I put a twist tie close to the edge of the silicone, making it into a tight balloon of caulk. I cut a tiny bit off the corner and then can squeeze out a tiny bit or a lot. Great control.
It ends up like one of those tube things that cake decorators use. I have no idea what it is called!

I have trouble with the grout getting very dry during application. The grout in the dish, I mean. I plan to try the bag trick with grout to see if it helps with the drying out.

o

finally, I'm done with the blues... YAY!

greens

o

OMGoodness - I was wondering how you'd handle the lilies. Looks fantastic.

o
RE: koi pond table, GOG -

o
RE: koi pond table, GOG and

o

I love your lilies what did you use .It is looking great!!

o

It's looking amazing!!!! Love it!!

o

YES! Looking GOOD! I see you have started on the lily pads too! Like the alternating colors! I have painted glass how I want it to look when I did my pineapple pc, just to add the part that was darker. Maybe you will be doing that with the lily flowers? I am Excited to see what they will look like! And the fish! Oh my!

o

This is fabulous! I love the water and how you cut the glass for the leaves.
Kathy

o

thanks ya all. Jane, its funny - I had been contemplating doing some under painting for that lily but decided I have another option in a pale yellow that was supposed to be a green... we'll see, stay tuned.

I was so excited to think I could grout the blue today but my order of grout colorant arrived with the blue on backorder, DRATZ! oh well, onward!!!

o

That is beautiful, will be amazing when it's done and I look forward to seeing the progress.

o

It is looking just lovely and especially the two shades of green on those leaves. Will check back and can't wait to see the final.....

o

thank you

I got the frog done today

frog

o

OMgosh, love that little frog on the leaf, its perfect. You are one talented lady.

o

Talented, indeed. Such perfect shaping of the glass.

o

HAH! noooo, hardly perfect, Slow. I got that done and thought it looked like a rough woodcut stamp compared to the ppl who grind and shape everything... which I always said I wouldn't do because I thought it would suck the life out of me!!! lol So, I'm trying to appreciate my sloppy little hand nipped frog as my "folksy" style! LOL

cripes I was stuggling to fit the leave parts around him and looked at my ring saw, considered getting some water in it and setting it up but then, where does that stop? I'll want the level of neatness everywhere, if I start. and then this becomes a 2 year project! ugh

o

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!! That is hand nipped?! I couldn't even get it that good with the saw!!!! Girlie>You RAWK!

o

Amazing!! I am in awe.

o

hah, Thanks Jane! and Amerique

I pushed hard to get alot done yesterday and last night (and this morning!)

finished the waterlilies and got them grouted and then I stayed up late cuting and fiting the lily together... again it resembles a woodcut stamp but I like it, it matches the rest of my work. I won't ever get a good pic of the coloring until its all done and upstairs in the natural light. there are fine straight lines in the glass and I cut them on center in the petals... the glass was supposedlu a green with amber, but its like a super pale yellow and some of the lines have a pinkish tone so the flower emds up really mottled and I'm pleased.

leaves grout and lily built

lilypads grouted

o

Are You Serious!? Grouting too!? I woulda NEVER thunk of grouting till the end!!! How cool, You are sooo Outta The Box!!!! Super Cool! Taking us to a whole new level!!!

o

yeah, I've been finding that if I'm doing different color grouts, its easier for me to do it as I get those areas done.

yesterday I got a fish made,,, pretty exciting to finally see one on there

1st Fish

o

Oh my!! This is looking sooooooo realistic. Way to go, girlie. I expect nothing less from you.

o

I just love this to pieces.

o

thank you both. I've been working all day on this and still want to get one more done before I stop tonight, since I'm traveling for Thanksgiving and won't get back to this till Friday night. so here's 3 fish and hoping I'get the fish shaped hole filled before I go to bed tonight

3 down, 10 to go

o

AND I did!

and then there were 4

happy thanksgiving to everyone in the US

o

Happy Thanksgiving! This table is going to be a masterpiece. Love the flow.

o

Can't get my jaw picked up....This is totally awesome!!! Happy Thanksgiving and I know having so much completed you will be able to relax and enjoy a few days.

o

Well, that's it! I am hanging up my tools! Sheesh, this is so pretty and perfect! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

o

Love it, you've done an amazing job

o

Yah, Calam, like I'm going to post something of MINE after seeing this! Hah!

It has DEPTH. You amaze me.

o

thank you all! I'm really thrilled so far, doing the shading is really taking this to a higher level. I have to say that taking Carol Shelkin's portrait workshop tought me sooo much about the use of color and cutting the different shapes for that illusion of depth. So I totally recommend taking that class if you ever get the chance.

o

Klinger said she would teach me so I gotta get on that! Cuz my brain is starting to percolate with lots of different ideas/projects......

o

Depth and movement. Those fish are swimming so beautifully.

o

What color grout for the koi I wonder......

o

thank you Slow! Jane, I'm thinking of multi colors, ivory, yellow, terra cotta and black... it will be tricky but I want to be finda loose about it, maybe it will look watery.. ee.. y?

o

That is a tru masterpiece!!! Beuatiful!!! Wow!!!!! I loveit!!!!

o

thank you Cathy.

got just 4 left to finish now...

only 4 left to do...

o

That is AMAZING!

o

I love to watch my fish in my pond during the summer, and find it mesmerizing to watch thier movement, and you have captured it so well....and like my real fish, I pick a favorite, then another...etc, and am falling in love with all of yours the same way! It's nice to look at your fish when all of mine are hiding at the bottom of the pond right now!lol! I hope you stand it on it's side soon to show the real colors!!!hint hint....:-)

o

I finished 2 more yesterday, now there's 2 left. I think this yellow fancy just became my new favorite. So cool that I shaded it with a little pink when I drew it and then found that one of the yellow glass I had, had pink streaks!

yellow fancy

o

Every time I see this I become more in awe of your work, girlie. Lucky on that yellow glass, but I'm enthralled w/your details. Just look at that mouth and the whisker and the fan tails and fins. Everything about this spells talent. I don't know how you part w/your beautiful art.

o

Jaw dropping...what Slow said....

o

Wow. All I can say is wow. This is absolutely gorgeous! I bet with light behind it, it will be even more beautiful. It's going to bring big, big bucks.

o

My husband just walked by and said ''Fabulous artist.'' Those fish look slippery, cool and wet, and the water lily pads -- I expect a frog to jump on one and make a tiny little splash sound. So gorgeous.

o

yes Slow, those fins and tail just thrilled me how they came out. When I bought that glass it was the only yellow available at hoblob and I was thinking, this won't really work... so eventually I found that opaque and as it turned out the 1st one was perfect for fantails! lol - I may have to do more of that kind in another project!

Thanks and thank you to Calm, Itsme and Silva.

This morning unfortunately I have to go down there and pick up a fish and clean it up - bad silicone,, sooo mad

o

So so pretty I love what you are doing!!

o

Wow!!!! This is stunning and so inspiring!

o

You are positively amazing! I love that! So beautiful and so so fast. Where and when is the fund raiser!!!!???

o

Aww, too bad! Grrr, dontcha hate bad silicone? I had a batch that had these hard chunks in em and it would plug the nozzle end...and I couldn't tear myself away to go exchange it, I just kept poking/prodding so I could keep going! Ha! That's a good one for the "You know Your addicted when:"

o

wow thank you all so much, I am humbled. I'm also exhausted have stayed up nearly all night to finish this, it goes into a silent auction tonight. I have just finished cleaning and doing the photos, now its time for it to go

garden pond

o

Oh I would so love to have that table! That is absolutely fantastic. The flow, the peaceful mood, wow, it is a masterpiece. I will be waiting to hear the results of the silent auction (it must be painful to let this one go .....).

o

Is there somewhere we can bid?
I ...just... simply... love... this.

o

Oh good grief! It's even prettier than I expected. Lady, you are a real artist. Don't know how you can let this puppy go. W/bring big bucks, that's for sure. Congratulations on another over-the-top project. I've said this b/f, but you get better and better w/each piece. AMAZING work!!!!!!!!!

o

Well, I haven't been over here in ages! Love all the progress pics of this, it is truly incredible! The fish look so realistic, just a fabulous job!!!!

o

That is amazing. I have been following the progress of this piece in amazement. You are a very talented lady. That type of a piece takes vision to make the fish appear to jump out at you. You have gone beyond the good, and ordinary.

o

Stunning!!!!! PLEASE take a pic of it back lit for us...pleaaaase!!!!

o

Its gone, it sold last night before the show even started. for 1750.00

o

W. O. W. Congratulations, l'il girl. You're the best!!!

o

Wow, 1750 and worth every penny. A one-of-a-kind masterpiece. What was the benefit for? That is so cool; you must be so tickled.

o

Oh, boy. You have a beautiful eye for artistry! That's a stunning table. Someone is very lucky to have it! Love your work and thank you for posting it. It's very inspiring.

o

Nicethyme, you've done it again. The picture of your table is the most popular picture on CMA (just like ChickChickChickee was for so long).

o

thank you all! Silva - I'm surprised to hear that last time I looked at most popular there was Silvie's Remarkable Tree and a piece by Charny... plus some really great portraits.

That tree really was a stunner

o

Nope, when you go to the Photos and ask for them to be sorted by popularity, the Garden Pond is No. 1 and the detail of Garden Pond is No. 14 (out of thousands) ... Yes that tree is beautiful also.

o

The most Beautiful table I've ever seen!! Wow, WOW!!!

o

Still No. 1, Most Popular on CMA, out of over 6,000 pieces. What an accomplishment!

o

it should drop out of there tonight with everyone looking up MAI entries announced today

o

I too havent been here for yrs! moved to condo, no space
:>( BUT this is SO inspiring!! stunning! I just finished an outdoor sign for my bro-in-law, forgot all my prev knowledge (used unsanded, etc, came out too white, blahblah..lol), so..we'll see..this is quite wonderful..(had a REAL pond at the house, miss it so..)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here