Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

koi pond table, GOG

nicethyme
12 years ago

I am finally cutting glass after a long hiatus from mosaics. I picked up this glass top table at auction one night when no one made a bid and I stuck it in storage waiting for the mood to strike.

I knew then that I wanted to do a koi pond scene but it wasn't until I got that thing out last week did it finally come together on paper

Comments (87)

• amerique2
    12 years ago

Amazing!! I am in awe.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hah, Thanks Jane! and Amerique

I pushed hard to get alot done yesterday and last night (and this morning!)

finished the waterlilies and got them grouted and then I stayed up late cuting and fiting the lily together... again it resembles a woodcut stamp but I like it, it matches the rest of my work. I won't ever get a good pic of the coloring until its all done and upstairs in the natural light. there are fine straight lines in the glass and I cut them on center in the petals... the glass was supposedlu a green with amber, but its like a super pale yellow and some of the lines have a pinkish tone so the flower emds up really mottled and I'm pleased.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Are You Serious!? Grouting too!? I woulda NEVER thunk of grouting till the end!!! How cool, You are sooo Outta The Box!!!! Super Cool! Taking us to a whole new level!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yeah, I've been finding that if I'm doing different color grouts, its easier for me to do it as I get those areas done.

yesterday I got a fish made,,, pretty exciting to finally see one on there

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Oh my!! This is looking sooooooo realistic. Way to go, girlie. I expect nothing less from you.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    12 years ago

I just love this to pieces.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you both. I've been working all day on this and still want to get one more done before I stop tonight, since I'm traveling for Thanksgiving and won't get back to this till Friday night. so here's 3 fish and hoping I'get the fish shaped hole filled before I go to bed tonight

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

AND I did!

happy thanksgiving to everyone in the US

• silvamae
    12 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving! This table is going to be a masterpiece. Love the flow.

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Can't get my jaw picked up....This is totally awesome!!! Happy Thanksgiving and I know having so much completed you will be able to relax and enjoy a few days.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Well, that's it! I am hanging up my tools! Sheesh, this is so pretty and perfect! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

• mattie_2008
    12 years ago

Love it, you've done an amazing job

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    12 years ago

Yah, Calam, like I'm going to post something of MINE after seeing this! Hah!

It has DEPTH. You amaze me.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you all! I'm really thrilled so far, doing the shading is really taking this to a higher level. I have to say that taking Carol Shelkin's portrait workshop tought me sooo much about the use of color and cutting the different shapes for that illusion of depth. So I totally recommend taking that class if you ever get the chance.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Klinger said she would teach me so I gotta get on that! Cuz my brain is starting to percolate with lots of different ideas/projects......

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Depth and movement. Those fish are swimming so beautifully.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

What color grout for the koi I wonder......

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you Slow! Jane, I'm thinking of multi colors, ivory, yellow, terra cotta and black... it will be tricky but I want to be finda loose about it, maybe it will look watery.. ee.. y?

• cathyscache
    12 years ago

That is a tru masterpiece!!! Beuatiful!!! Wow!!!!! I loveit!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you Cathy.

got just 4 left to finish now...

• silvamae
    12 years ago

That is AMAZING!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I love to watch my fish in my pond during the summer, and find it mesmerizing to watch thier movement, and you have captured it so well....and like my real fish, I pick a favorite, then another...etc, and am falling in love with all of yours the same way! It's nice to look at your fish when all of mine are hiding at the bottom of the pond right now!lol! I hope you stand it on it's side soon to show the real colors!!!hint hint....:-)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I finished 2 more yesterday, now there's 2 left. I think this yellow fancy just became my new favorite. So cool that I shaded it with a little pink when I drew it and then found that one of the yellow glass I had, had pink streaks!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Every time I see this I become more in awe of your work, girlie. Lucky on that yellow glass, but I'm enthralled w/your details. Just look at that mouth and the whisker and the fan tails and fins. Everything about this spells talent. I don't know how you part w/your beautiful art.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Jaw dropping...what Slow said....

• ItsmeChickadee
    12 years ago

Wow. All I can say is wow. This is absolutely gorgeous! I bet with light behind it, it will be even more beautiful. It's going to bring big, big bucks.

• silvamae
    12 years ago

My husband just walked by and said ''Fabulous artist.'' Those fish look slippery, cool and wet, and the water lily pads -- I expect a frog to jump on one and make a tiny little splash sound. So gorgeous.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yes Slow, those fins and tail just thrilled me how they came out. When I bought that glass it was the only yellow available at hoblob and I was thinking, this won't really work... so eventually I found that opaque and as it turned out the 1st one was perfect for fantails! lol - I may have to do more of that kind in another project!

Thanks and thank you to Calm, Itsme and Silva.

This morning unfortunately I have to go down there and pick up a fish and clean it up - bad silicone,, sooo mad

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

So so pretty I love what you are doing!!

• jenel
    12 years ago

Wow!!!! This is stunning and so inspiring!

• october17
    12 years ago

You are positively amazing! I love that! So beautiful and so so fast. Where and when is the fund raiser!!!!???

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Aww, too bad! Grrr, dontcha hate bad silicone? I had a batch that had these hard chunks in em and it would plug the nozzle end...and I couldn't tear myself away to go exchange it, I just kept poking/prodding so I could keep going! Ha! That's a good one for the "You know Your addicted when:"

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wow thank you all so much, I am humbled. I'm also exhausted have stayed up nearly all night to finish this, it goes into a silent auction tonight. I have just finished cleaning and doing the photos, now its time for it to go

• silvamae
    12 years ago

Oh I would so love to have that table! That is absolutely fantastic. The flow, the peaceful mood, wow, it is a masterpiece. I will be waiting to hear the results of the silent auction (it must be painful to let this one go .....).

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    12 years ago

Is there somewhere we can bid?
    I ...just... simply... love... this.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Oh good grief! It's even prettier than I expected. Lady, you are a real artist. Don't know how you can let this puppy go. W/bring big bucks, that's for sure. Congratulations on another over-the-top project. I've said this b/f, but you get better and better w/each piece. AMAZING work!!!!!!!!!

• squirrellycanadian
    12 years ago

Well, I haven't been over here in ages! Love all the progress pics of this, it is truly incredible! The fish look so realistic, just a fabulous job!!!!

• marquest
    12 years ago

That is amazing. I have been following the progress of this piece in amazement. You are a very talented lady. That type of a piece takes vision to make the fish appear to jump out at you. You have gone beyond the good, and ordinary.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Stunning!!!!! PLEASE take a pic of it back lit for us...pleaaaase!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Its gone, it sold last night before the show even started. for 1750.00

• texaswild
    12 years ago

W. O. W. Congratulations, l'il girl. You're the best!!!

• silvamae
    12 years ago

Wow, 1750 and worth every penny. A one-of-a-kind masterpiece. What was the benefit for? That is so cool; you must be so tickled.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Oh, boy. You have a beautiful eye for artistry! That's a stunning table. Someone is very lucky to have it! Love your work and thank you for posting it. It's very inspiring.

• silvamae
    12 years ago

Nicethyme, you've done it again. The picture of your table is the most popular picture on CMA (just like ChickChickChickee was for so long).

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you all! Silva - I'm surprised to hear that last time I looked at most popular there was Silvie's Remarkable Tree and a piece by Charny... plus some really great portraits.

That tree really was a stunner

• silvamae
    12 years ago

Nope, when you go to the Photos and ask for them to be sorted by popularity, the Garden Pond is No. 1 and the detail of Garden Pond is No. 14 (out of thousands) ... Yes that tree is beautiful also.

• cathyscache
    12 years ago

The most Beautiful table I've ever seen!! Wow, WOW!!!

• silvamae
    12 years ago

Still No. 1, Most Popular on CMA, out of over 6,000 pieces. What an accomplishment!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

it should drop out of there tonight with everyone looking up MAI entries announced today

• deborahmc52
    12 years ago

I too havent been here for yrs! moved to condo, no space
    :>( BUT this is SO inspiring!! stunning! I just finished an outdoor sign for my bro-in-law, forgot all my prev knowledge (used unsanded, etc, came out too white, blahblah..lol), so..we'll see..this is quite wonderful..(had a REAL pond at the house, miss it so..)

Sponsored