Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Jewelry?

loribee2
11 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone has tried making these:

I think they're so adorable, I ordered a few of these bezels and some Italian millefiori. I'm officially on a quest to make a few. (Okay, who am I kidding? If they're fun, I'll be on a quest to make a hundred)

Questions: What would you use to bond the glass/tile to the bottom of the bezel? I plan to use black grout over it, but do you think Welbond would be strong enough, or do I need to deal with the mess of epoxy?

My fear is the whole thing will fall out of the bezel, so I wanted to make sure the tiles are glued down tight before I grout.

I know you all have way more experience with mosaic on surfaces other than concrete. Would love any thoughts and advice.

Comments (24)

• silvamae
    11 years ago

I made some last year and I used MAC glue. I sold some but still have a few left and they are still perfect. So I would recommend MAC glue; it's easy to use, not messy at all, and seems quite strong.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation. I've never heard of MAC glue. I will look it up!

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

prepare yourself for a shock, MAC is now 18 dollars for 8 oz. It sounds exorbitant but they must have done it because it goes so far... its like water and a tiny drop spreads across big pieces of tess.

I think weldbond is strong enough but if you are concerned with costs and time, consider that a lot of ppl use the colored mastic A LA Laurel Sky method, so they just smoosh in and no grout.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info! and the warning, haha. If it works well and adheres to the metal bezels, it's worth the money, I'm thinking.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Eve Lynch of Kraken Mosaics makes a lot of beautiful and unusual jewelry using broken tile and bezels. You might ask her what she uses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eve's website

• texaswild
    11 years ago

I used Weldbond. I ruined one when I tried to use the carb. stone to smooth the edges after it was in the bezel. So, I made another one. Trying to soak the one I ruined and it's not budging. In order to use the bezel again, w/try to dig out the tess, but it's in there strongly. Weldbond is enough for me. I could REALLY get into this mini mosaics. This was fun.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

yeah I don't see needing something stronger than weldbond, these things aren't hanging outdoors all winter.
    Consider this, I mosaic my bathroom door interior with wb and with as often as the only bathroom of my hse gets used, the door open and closed and all the moisture of baths and showers for a family of 4

whats it been 6-8 years? and nothing's come off, not just flat tess either, rocks, jewelry... wb will hold up for a pendant just fine

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate all the insights! I knew you artists would steer me in the right direction. Silva, I have seen Eve's jewelry on Etsy. Her items have been some that have inspired me to give it a try. Love some of the pieces she finds. What a creative eye.

And Slow, that is some serious bling! I'm with you. Lately, I've been inspired to make smaller items that don't take so long. Also, now that I'm selling and shipping, the idea of small things that are cheap to mail or lug to a show is even more enticing. I'm not getting any younger! LOL Love your cross! Can't wait to get my bezels.

Anyone have a tried and true distributor for the jewelry supplies? I got my bezels from Beadaholique, but that was just from an internet search and I haven't seen them yet. The price and variety was right, though.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SLOW, I have a question about your cross pendant. I noticed it has a beaded edge. Did you grout that piece? If so, did you have trouble keeping the grout off the edge, or cleaning it off after?

I've seen a number of bezels that have cute decorative edges, but I intend to grout my pieces and wonder if those would be problematic. (Of course, I could spend the $2. and try it, LOL

And ooooh, this is bad. I stopped at Michael's crafts store last night and browsed the bead/jewelry section. I'd always thought of beads as round things with big holes through them, so I was surprised to see so many stones and shapes that I easily could use in small mosaics. This is seriously not good for my pocket book! haha I was like a kid in a candy store, but somehow managed to get out only spending $20.

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Stopped for lunch and decided to check in. LORIE - I bought the bezel at Hobby Lobby, and no - no problem w/the grout - seldom use water for cleaning - just wiped it w/a dry cloth. I like this little cross-shaped bezel, but want to make my own next time I decide to do jewelry. NT told me on Flickr about an air-dry clay - called Apoxie Clay. I watched a couple videos on the net, and it's very intriguing. NT also made beautiful bezels from poly clay, but I want to try the Apoxie - sounds easier - no baking.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

I think the Apoxie is going to be much stronger too. I have the desire to make a bunch from it too.

Lori, there's ornamentea and hhh enterprises off the top of my head... there's more but I'd have to look them up

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Lori, have you looked at the bezels on Etsy? I ordered some round copper ones and a few solid silver rectangular ones and they were nice. The copper ones had a sheet of clear stickers so that you could put a picture inside and then protect it with the stickers. But since I was filling the bezel with tiles, I put the clear sticker on the back of the pendant and it worked great that way. The copper ones were from Baubles of Fun and the silver from Captured Moments.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Slow - you might want to read this article about Apoxie if you haven't already ... oh boy. Now I want to try this stuff too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apoxie Sculpt

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations! I bought a few bezels at Michael's and made a couple pendants. Just basic, nothing fancy, but ooh, so much fun. I'm looking forward to grouting them tomorrow and seeing how they turn out. I'm already swimming with ideas for more.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

this is the start of my Bezel tutorial when I did it from PC... I'm going use something similar with the apoxie too

Here is a link that might be useful: bezel pictorial

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, that is gorgeous!! You have far more talent (and patience) than I. So beautiful!

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My first two: Earth tones of course, because that's my style. But I started 4 more today that are much more colorful. I actually spent more time figuring out the cord and clasps than I did to make the pendants! As it is, I need to find better quality clasps. I bought a cord/clasp kit and think I can do better now that I have an idea what I'm looking for.

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Thanks, NT, for the re-posting of your tut. I had looked for it awhile back. Marked it in my favs. I love your bezels, and tried making one. Of course, it turned out lots larger than I had planned. Gave it to daughter, Suzie.

Thanks also, SILVA. That thread explains a lot about the Apoxi. Marked it in faves too.

LORI: I'm impressed w/your cords w/the beads - looks good to me. Hadn't thought about adding beads above the bezel.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

yes! I like that look too (with the bead), very pretty Lori - I love the one with the red tiger eye.

I use this company for findings. http://www.firemountaingems.com/

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! And thanks for the recommendation on the findings.

• Jhon Miller
    2 years ago

Very beautiful jewelry

• South Sidde
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Jewelry is often made with precious stones, coins, or other precious objects and is usually embedded in precious metals such as glass, precious stones, metal, wood, shells, clay, and polymer clay. Beaded jewelry usually includes necklaces, bracelets, earrings, belts, and rings. Because of this, jewelry is very expensive. Many people want to wear such jewelry, but they do not have the means to do so, so they buy jewelry with fake stones or make them themselves. I sell jewelry wholesale. I have a lot of homemade products, if you like to walk with such jewelry, then from personal experience, I want to say that there is nothing shameful in walking in inexpensive jewelry.

In general, I consider expensive jewelry from rare resources or with expensive stones, this is just to show off. I like such jewelry much more, I think that the main thing is style, not price.

I made a lot of jewelry myself, the most popular ones were from stainless metal. I think this is the main appearance of the ring itself or any other jewelry and not the material from which it was created.

• Penny Garcia
    10 months ago

such beautiful jewelry pendant. I think this might be helpful: https://nacrystal.com

• Penny Garcia
    10 months ago

This kind of jewelry plays a very important role in our daily, and you can use it as amulet. For more about these jewelry, explore it here: https://tesmasscrystal.com

Sponsored