Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Platter for Cheese

Posted by amerique2 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 23:06

I finally ordered an assortment of mosaic tiles and stained glass tiles that will arrive on Thursday! I'm wanting to make a cheese platter and wondered the best adhesive for adhering these tiles to a china/porcelain/or ceramic plate. (I ordered the MAC glue.)

Also, do you think grout sealant after it dries would pose a danger to food items placed on the platter? I'm thinking it wouldn't since ceramic tile counters in people's kitchens have sealant applied to keep them from discoloring.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Platter for Cheese

You have to look for a food safe sealant-Im not sure there is one? You could consider pouring resin over it when done to seal it also.

o

mac glue is great, just be prepared for the fact that it is very thin - like water. I think you are right about the counters... the time and amount of exposure to food is really negligible

o

Thanks Wacky and NT. Will mac glue work to adhere glass tiles to wood also?

o

I love mac glue, but it is water based. Not sure its the best for something that may be washed or at least wiped off.
Kathy

o

its fine for this application I think. Linlee once did an experiment where she soaked glued tess in water and while it would whiten as it rehydrated over time, wiping a platter off doesn't compare to soaking it for days.

it will adhere glass to wood.

o

Great to hear. Will keep you posted. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here