Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poppies, GOG

Posted by nicethyme (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 22:47

hi ya all... its been forever but I'm trying hard to get back to mosaics again, I started this window a few months ago and then got overwhelmed at work,,, winter is in the air and I'm trying to spur myself by posting this.... Maybe Jane can push me along

Poppy GOG wip

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poppies, GOG

WHOOHOO!!!! I LOVE Poppies!!! AND GOG!!! ha! I am fixing to do a GOG myself! Just a little micro round one! I am thinking an assortment of different flowers! So good to see you posting here!! Oh man, YOU made my day and I am sure Slow's too!

o

This is a lovely start. Can't wait to see the finished product!

o

oooh Calam, can't wait to see that, you are the GOG queen! This is only my 2nd and I live in fear of grout bleed... but I got these window panes free from my Restore and couldn't pass it up

o

Oh wow, I love poppies! I used to live in Georgetown, Texas, and Flanders poppies grew wild all over town. Beautiful sight! I can't wait to see this one.

o

I love poppies almost as much as this red orange glass so its a perfect combo for me : )

I finished the reds today, added a daisy and some nondescript blues to the field. Cleaned up my ring saw and started cutting up some frond like leaves - I don't want to over do that but its a cool accent.

Poppies WIP

o

Wow, this is going to be gorgeous!

o

Looking good! How big is your window, it looks a great size!

o

Like EVERYTHING you do, this w/be a stunner. So glad to see you back here. Love the leaves too. You are a real queen of the ring saw. Haven't used mine in years.

o

I'm guessing its about 2x3'

o

WOW ! I love watching a WIP . It's going to be amazing !
Do you have a place picked out for it ? That baby will be HEAVY ! LOL I made one big GOG , turned out too heavy to hang anywhere , so it's sitting in thee attic :( Seeing this might spur me on to get creative with it !

o

Toomuch, I'll sell this if I can. - try to get it into a show somewhere maybe

o

Well it is looking great!!

o

getting more stems and buds on there, decided the check it out with back lighting

poppies WIP

o

Wow, this is amazing! GOG is my favorite thing to do and I'm really impressed. Your leaves are incredible. I've been wondering if I need a ring saw and I'm beginning to see why I might.
Becky

o

Oh, those are gorgeous!! I'm curious, what kind of glass cutters do you use to make such perfect shapes? Those poppy petals are so true to life.

o

Loribee, I score and break as close as I can and then nip with my wheeled nippers to get them where I want. Those disect leaves are definately done on my ring saw. The stems - I score and break straight pieces and then nip them to get an irregular / organic edge.

o

Wow, such nice work! Thanks for the info.

o

Now THAT puts another light - scuz the pun - on the subject. Seeing it in the window - OMGoodness - it's gonna be stupendous.

o

Your work is awesome! An inspiration for me. I am wondering what the back side looks like when your through. Do I worry to much about? Thanks, Sally

o

Sally, there is a concern if you worry about other ppl's POV, say on the outside of a window... but its something we accept from mosaics, otherwise we'd be doing stain glass windows with all that perfect cutting, foiling, soldering.... with less artist expression because of the engineering strength aspects that go along with it.

Me, if I were to end up keeping this, I'd probably just back it with a mirror and stick it on a wall anyways. so I don't worry too much about the glued side other than avoiding grout bleed - which I hate

o

Nice! That is going to be so beautiful. I'm wondering what color background you are going with. I love pale blue with red and black and green poppies. But then again, iridescent oranges and yellows would be yummy. So what do you have in mind for the background?

o

Silvamae, I'm sticking to realism here as much as I can. So more green fill around the poppies and then a white and blue sky. I have this cool frosted clear from Youghiogheny that I know I want to use but I'm not sure yet how best to combine it with opaques or if I even can... I did just stumble across a "crazy paved" sky that I liked a lot, I struggle with regimented andemento in sky scenes and the grout lines taking on a cartoony essence when my goal with the poppies was realism

o

getting a little more foliage on there.. slowly

Poppies WIP

o

Looking great. The darks are really showing your talent for making your work have depth and dimension.

o
RE: Poppies, GOG - and

Forgot to mention that I click on the image to take it to Flickr, then click again to "view all sizes" to view it on large. Helps a lot.

o

Thanks I'm hoping that a view from a distance will help that depth effect and the overall illusion

o

please excuse the rotten quality of this pic, may camera is evidently dying a painful and drawn out death

poppies WIP

o

It's going to be grand (as usual). I'm sorry about your camera. Hate when that happens.

o

My dear, it looks like a Poppy field to me. Your sizes of flowers in the rear, the darks, placement. Yep - it's a Poppy field. You are a real little piece of artistic work.

o

Looks so great! Love how you are sticking realistic with it!!!

o

I'm so so bored with the green fill that I took a little break last night and added a bee in there. Of course, I was worried about clear wings in the green field so I touched a little alcohol ink to them for a smudge of green tone.

Bee

o

Darling.

o

Well how sweet is THAT?! Don't know how you work such teensy details to perfection. Looks like a real bee, and it's a perfect addition.

o

thank you both! I am so happy to be done with the foliage,,, whew

greens are done

o

That is just absolutely gorgeous. I can see the bee! Can't wait to see the blue.

o

WOW! I knew I'd find something spectacular when I saw your name.
Renee

o

OMGoodness - spectacular. YES YES YES - the bee - so natural looking. I wouldn't even have the ability to envision such a poppy field, much less bring it off so successfully. Outstanding work, NT.

o

Yes it is looking great!!!

o

Wow, this is really amazing! I'm having fun checking back and watching the progress. Like slow time lapse photography. LOL Can't wait to see the next installment.

o

thank you all so much... well I'm scared to go on with the sky, just not real confident in andamento. I decided on a crazy paving to prevent any regular geometric looking grout line and flow but I've only done it once before on my DD's portrait and still not thrilled with that... its my cutting skills - I'm no Sonja King! lol

o

No, you're BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Based on your past work, it can't be anything but fabulous.

(not to put any pressure on you, hahaha)

o

haha thanks Slow and Silva.. I think! lol

o

Have you picked out the blue yet? Pale blue or dark or a mix? I can't wait to see the beginning of the sky!

o

WOW!!! This is sooo detailed! Love it! Can't wait to see the sky!! My mini project, I added a poppy cuz of you!!!heh heh!

o

• Posted by drtdgr z8PNWTacoma (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 6:03

Absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to see what you do with the sky - that's an area that has me flummoxed too.

Cutting and andamento have stopped me continuing on one project. Doing sky and water freaks me out.

This post was edited by drtdgr on Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 17:12

o

Nice, there's a photo of a mosaic that some young man did and it's posted on CMA and I have looked and looked and can't find it. It's the sky, the sea, and a boat, and I love the way he did the sky. Random, but when you look closely, the pieces all seem to be five-sided, but all shaped a little different. Anyway, how about the background of Sonia King's Permafrost?

o

Of course I meant in pale blue, not white, but I like the way it fits together.

o

yes! Silva i know I saw that same seascape somewhere but I thought it was someone's photos of a show somewhere??? and it WAS the inspiration for what I think I'm doing too. I THINK mine will have varying sizes according to closeness of the clouds... I've started placing the whitest areas of the clouds but am not glued yet. the blue decisions are already made according to the pieces I had in my youghiogheny glass purchase and i'm pretty happy that I seem to have a wide range of tonal values of the same blue... so now I just have to play I guess. Thank you all for the compliments here, truly I appreciate all your imput

o

cloud andamento?

Poppy WIP

o

You never disappoint - always a surprise. Unbelieveble! Perfection.

o

lol one mosaic artist on facebook called me insane!

o

Beautiful. Can't wait to see the blue!!!!

o

Wow, I wouldn't have thought to do the round tess. Just shows you there's a lot of ways to express scenes with glass.

I love the organic shape of the clouds. I echo silva's comment - can't wait to see the sky! Susan

o

I think the blues will end up similar to the water in my koi table but without the shadows... it will work like the clouds with larger on top and getting smaller toward the horizon but with a center vanishing point,,, hoping to create that feeling of expansiveness garden pond

o

What color grout? Maybe more than one color?

o

Beutiful!!!! I Love it!!

o

Silva, I'm thinking green in the flowers with white in the clouds and blue for the sky

o

Sounds perfect!

o
This is so beautiful!

I can't wait to see it when it's done!

o

well now I've used my light blue and white glass and don't like the darker tones I have... I'm either going to try and find more of this same glass or I'm switching to that cool fogged glass which will have that fog coming in look...

sky is coming along

o

What you've done so far is wonderful.

o

OMGoodness - look at the gillion little circles you've cut!!! How about some wispy off-white? You'll like what you've done once all of it's in and grouted.

o

Okay well, its not permanent yet but this is what the foggy transparent glass looks like,,, I think I like it... PITA to cut though cause its got little air bubbles in it and they throw off the break sometimes

poppies

o

I've seen the bubbly glass before while cruising for new glass. I think it's very cool.

Living in the Pacific Northwest gives me a lot of exposure to fog. I've been wondering how it can be replicated.

I have a vision of a stand of alder trees in the mist.

I've been impressed by a mosaic depicting the Cascade Mountains using a version of foggy glass with the grout lines delineating the form of the mountains.

o

Looks good to me.

o

drtdgr, ooh that would be awesome... this glass sure would work for it too. I bought this sheet on Susan Turlinton's advice, we were at the Youghiogheny factory and she pointed out the affect you get when you layer it on another color, said she thinks Kelly Knickerbocker uses it a lot in her layered abstracts. Since I got it I've been thinking about it looking like ice and think it would be cool to put it over alcohol ink painted fall leafs and build some or parts of them in matching sg like the froze half in and half out of ice...

o

Sheesh! I liked that blue sky! lol! Love seeing that koi table again!

o

Wow, small world, nicethyme. Kelley Knickerbocker is showing her works at the Seattle Mosaics place I go to.

I was wondering why they cost so much! I'll have to look at them again. Susan

o

KK is a groundbreaker where mosaics are concerned...

I know Jane, I did too, wish I had more of it I would have done it all in that one,, alas I am out

o

finally done cutting and fitting. now I have to glue all that fogged glass down

poppies

This post was edited by nicethyme on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 10:18

o

LOVE that background! I can hardly wait to see it glued so you can set it upright and we can see it lit from behind!! WOW, even your background is "fitted"! It just raises the bar!!! Love the poppy heads!/stems! Of course those leaves are super amazing!!! All the colors are super, and the bit o blue is so great! Sheesh, just can't say enough good stuff about this piece, it hits every bell and whistle I'd want!

o

Thank you J, I am very excited about this window... I am planning a super cool frame treatment...

I'm grouting today

poppies

This post was edited by nicethyme on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 15:11

o

I think I'm done.. but of course lighting in my basement stinks so I'll shoot pics of the whole thing tomorrow in natural light (and back lighting)

Poppies

o

OVER THE TOP Wonderful!!!! Love the crackle paint!!! Love that color and the grout colors too...WOW!!!

o

Oh wow, can't wait to see the final pic! It's beautiful . . .

o

YAAAAY I'm done! this one was hard to get through, but I'm pleased.

Poppies

backlit

o

That is so gorgeous. I just don't know what to add to that.

o

Same comment I posted on Flickr - as my late friend Carol - known on this forum as Flagtruck - used to say to me when she thought I'd done something great - YOU HUZZY!!!!!

o

Yes, you nailed it. Gorgeous.

o

OH HA HA HA HA HA love that one Slow! and thank you everyone.

o

Yes to what every one said .So so so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Absolutely STUNNING! Beautiful piece.

o

B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.!!!! as Slow would say!...lol!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here