Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

Poppies, GOG

nicethyme
11 years ago

hi ya all... its been forever but I'm trying hard to get back to mosaics again, I started this window a few months ago and then got overwhelmed at work,,, winter is in the air and I'm trying to spur myself by posting this.... Maybe Jane can push me along

Comments (84)

• silvamae
    11 years ago

That is just absolutely gorgeous. I can see the bee! Can't wait to see the blue.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

WOW! I knew I'd find something spectacular when I saw your name.
    Renee

• texaswild
    11 years ago

OMGoodness - spectacular. YES YES YES - the bee - so natural looking. I wouldn't even have the ability to envision such a poppy field, much less bring it off so successfully. Outstanding work, NT.

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Yes it is looking great!!!

• loribee2
    11 years ago

Wow, this is really amazing! I'm having fun checking back and watching the progress. Like slow time lapse photography. LOL Can't wait to see the next installment.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you all so much... well I'm scared to go on with the sky, just not real confident in andamento. I decided on a crazy paving to prevent any regular geometric looking grout line and flow but I've only done it once before on my DD's portrait and still not thrilled with that... its my cutting skills - I'm no Sonja King! lol

• texaswild
    11 years ago

No, you're BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Based on your past work, it can't be anything but fabulous.

(not to put any pressure on you, hahaha)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha thanks Slow and Silva.. I think! lol

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Have you picked out the blue yet? Pale blue or dark or a mix? I can't wait to see the beginning of the sky!

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

WOW!!! This is sooo detailed! Love it! Can't wait to see the sky!! My mini project, I added a poppy cuz of you!!!heh heh!

• drtdgr
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to see what you do with the sky - that's an area that has me flummoxed too.

Cutting and andamento have stopped me continuing on one project. Doing sky and water freaks me out.

This post was edited by drtdgr on Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 17:12

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Nice, there's a photo of a mosaic that some young man did and it's posted on CMA and I have looked and looked and can't find it. It's the sky, the sea, and a boat, and I love the way he did the sky. Random, but when you look closely, the pieces all seem to be five-sided, but all shaped a little different. Anyway, how about the background of Sonia King's Permafrost?

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Of course I meant in pale blue, not white, but I like the way it fits together.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes! Silva i know I saw that same seascape somewhere but I thought it was someone's photos of a show somewhere??? and it WAS the inspiration for what I think I'm doing too. I THINK mine will have varying sizes according to closeness of the clouds... I've started placing the whitest areas of the clouds but am not glued yet. the blue decisions are already made according to the pieces I had in my youghiogheny glass purchase and i'm pretty happy that I seem to have a wide range of tonal values of the same blue... so now I just have to play I guess. Thank you all for the compliments here, truly I appreciate all your imput

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cloud andamento?

• texaswild
    11 years ago

You never disappoint - always a surprise. Unbelieveble! Perfection.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol one mosaic artist on facebook called me insane!

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Beautiful. Can't wait to see the blue!!!!

• drtdgr
    11 years ago

Wow, I wouldn't have thought to do the round tess. Just shows you there's a lot of ways to express scenes with glass.

I love the organic shape of the clouds. I echo silva's comment - can't wait to see the sky! Susan

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think the blues will end up similar to the water in my koi table but without the shadows... it will work like the clouds with larger on top and getting smaller toward the horizon but with a center vanishing point,,, hoping to create that feeling of expansiveness

• silvamae
    11 years ago

What color grout? Maybe more than one color?

• cathyscache
    11 years ago

Beutiful!!!! I Love it!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Silva, I'm thinking green in the flowers with white in the clouds and blue for the sky

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Sounds perfect!

• phish_gw
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see it when it's done!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well now I've used my light blue and white glass and don't like the darker tones I have... I'm either going to try and find more of this same glass or I'm switching to that cool fogged glass which will have that fog coming in look...

• silvamae
    11 years ago

What you've done so far is wonderful.

• texaswild
    11 years ago

OMGoodness - look at the gillion little circles you've cut!!! How about some wispy off-white? You'll like what you've done once all of it's in and grouted.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay well, its not permanent yet but this is what the foggy transparent glass looks like,,, I think I like it... PITA to cut though cause its got little air bubbles in it and they throw off the break sometimes

• drtdgr
    11 years ago

I've seen the bubbly glass before while cruising for new glass. I think it's very cool.

Living in the Pacific Northwest gives me a lot of exposure to fog. I've been wondering how it can be replicated.

I have a vision of a stand of alder trees in the mist.

I've been impressed by a mosaic depicting the Cascade Mountains using a version of foggy glass with the grout lines delineating the form of the mountains.

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Looks good to me.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

drtdgr, ooh that would be awesome... this glass sure would work for it too. I bought this sheet on Susan Turlinton's advice, we were at the Youghiogheny factory and she pointed out the affect you get when you layer it on another color, said she thinks Kelly Knickerbocker uses it a lot in her layered abstracts. Since I got it I've been thinking about it looking like ice and think it would be cool to put it over alcohol ink painted fall leafs and build some or parts of them in matching sg like the froze half in and half out of ice...

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Sheesh! I liked that blue sky! lol! Love seeing that koi table again!

• drtdgr
    11 years ago

Wow, small world, nicethyme. Kelley Knickerbocker is showing her works at the Seattle Mosaics place I go to.

I was wondering why they cost so much! I'll have to look at them again. Susan

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

KK is a groundbreaker where mosaics are concerned...

I know Jane, I did too, wish I had more of it I would have done it all in that one,, alas I am out

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

finally done cutting and fitting. now I have to glue all that fogged glass down

This post was edited by nicethyme on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 10:18

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

LOVE that background! I can hardly wait to see it glued so you can set it upright and we can see it lit from behind!! WOW, even your background is "fitted"! It just raises the bar!!! Love the poppy heads!/stems! Of course those leaves are super amazing!!! All the colors are super, and the bit o blue is so great! Sheesh, just can't say enough good stuff about this piece, it hits every bell and whistle I'd want!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you J, I am very excited about this window... I am planning a super cool frame treatment...

I'm grouting today

This post was edited by nicethyme on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 15:11

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I'm done.. but of course lighting in my basement stinks so I'll shoot pics of the whole thing tomorrow in natural light (and back lighting)

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

OVER THE TOP Wonderful!!!! Love the crackle paint!!! Love that color and the grout colors too...WOW!!!

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Oh wow, can't wait to see the final pic! It's beautiful . . .

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

YAAAAY I'm done! this one was hard to get through, but I'm pleased.

• drtdgr
    11 years ago

That is so gorgeous. I just don't know what to add to that.

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Same comment I posted on Flickr - as my late friend Carol - known on this forum as Flagtruck - used to say to me when she thought I'd done something great - YOU HUZZY!!!!!

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Yes, you nailed it. Gorgeous.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OH HA HA HA HA HA love that one Slow! and thank you everyone.

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Yes to what every one said .So so so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• SadieSadie
    11 years ago

Absolutely STUNNING! Beautiful piece.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.!!!! as Slow would say!...lol!

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County