Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
outdoor mosaic fountain

Posted by sharonsgarden (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 19:47

I am getting ready to start an outdoor fountain. I know that I can use thinset as an adhesive, but has anyone every used cement and then added weldbond to add strength. I have read that you can add a PVA to your cement for outdoor use. I believe that cement is much cheaper than thinset and thought that this might work out.

Anyone out there done this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: outdoor mosaic fountain

cement itself isn't really sticky

o

I'd advise against that. As NT said - you can't use cement itself for adhesive. Use thinset w/a polymer additive. Still singing my song of the best - Mapei Ultra Flex II, a polymer modified mortar for professionals - sold at Lowes. Just bought 50 lbs yesterday. W/never consider using anything other than that for outdoor projects.

o

One thing that I should have mentioned is that I am doing this onto a bird bath. The old bird bath has some indentations and designs that I am going to have to level out to make it work with the tile.

Can I use thinset to do this?

o

I believe that you can use the mortor in that way, hopefully the experts will weigh in.

Mixing weldbond and cement sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Rant: I'm so jealous because the neary (25 mi away) Lowes didn't have Mapei!!
I never went back after I found out and now they are closing, ha!
I wonder how I find out if any stores that I might travel by in new england have it?

Kathy

o

What a bummer, CONCRETE: You can use any thinset, but the additive is very important for adhesion. SHARONS: Yes, thinset w/be a good leveler - smooth it out w/a wet paint brush. I got that idea from NT, and it works beautifully when I apply mortar to my metal lath structures. Be sure and spritz the birdbath b/f applying new concrete (thinset) to old concrete.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here