Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drtdgr

Finally grouted rocks

drtdgr
11 years ago

Whew! Grouted using Laticrete for the first time. It was different from my normal brand. I really like the grout, the thinset not so much. Found out it's a lot different grouting on an uneven surface than a flat one.

This rock I regrouted on top of thinset and added leaves, which I like a lot more.

Comments (8)

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh crap I forgot the picture. My brain is mush. I can't figure out how to post more than one picture at a time either, so I apologize for the multiple postings.

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't got to the picture I was referring to yet, but this is the butterfly I posted as a WIP. Danged if a couple parts fell off during grouting, but Liquid Nails came to the rescue. Susan

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, finally the pic I referred to originally. Good grief.

• texaswild
    11 years ago

BEAUTIFUL work. Wish I could find large rocks that weren't so danged expensive.

• anneinva_2009
    11 years ago

I pay 50 cents a pound. how much do you pay? Also did you tape around the design or simply wash off excess grout. I used the GE II for the glue. I didnt feel like using thinset. I wonder if it will matter.

• oldcrafty
    11 years ago

Beautiful work. What a clever way to dress up a plain old rock!

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Yes those are cool!!! Come see me slow and we can find all kinds HA! Ha!

• drtdgr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gosh, thanks so much for the compliments. I worked really hard on these. I wish I could send all of you rocks - I pick
    them out of the Tahuya River bed for free.

I will never run out of rocks, believe me.

I used thinset on the flower and the butterfly as an adhesive, and then applied Latricrete grout.

The heart was done with just Latricrete grout, no other adhesive. As you can probably tell I really like Chris Emmert's rocks and that's what she says she does.

When it firmed up, I took an exacto knife and cut away the excess grout around the edges. I used vinegar and muriatic acid to clean off any remaining grout.

Of course, they still need sealing when cured. I don't know why GE silicon wouldn't work. Maybe someone else on the forum can answer that. Susan

Sponsored