Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickeemama_gw

Dragonfly spinner

chickeemama
16 years ago

Here is one of my latest project which IMO didnt turn out great, but I guess isn't that bad either.

It is a 6 inch circle with a 3d dragon fly attached with some leaves. It will have a copper half circle around the whole thing which will let the dragonfly spin in the wind and the half circle will have a post that sticks into the ground. Its my first attempt at something that has any dimension in it. I used coppery patina which turned the whole thing an aged rusty color. Not sure Im liking the patina on it. I will be making more of these for Christmas presents so this was my test one to see what I can do to improve on it, which will be to use more vibrant glass globs.

The wings have a copper mesh over them, boy was that kinda of PITA to put on!!!

Any critiques and opinions on this to help me make it better will be appreciated!!!! If you click on the picture it will get bigger for you!

Comments (28)

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Why don't you think it came out great! I love this chickee! Very creative! That copper mesh is really cool even if it was a PITA. Ya'll know I love copper stuff! I like the patina 'cause it's gonna turn outside anyway and I am not that into "new" stuff when it comes to yard art. Can't wait to see more of 'em!

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Looks great to me........................Love it......

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Cool idea!! That'll look great turning and spinning in the sunlight!! What fittings do you use to let it spin?? Some sort of ball bearing race?? I tried to do a copper spinner, but couldn't get the spinning part of the fittings figured out! See the commercailly made spinners at HD, but couldn't find anything at the hardware store.....

Pat

• chickeemama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks girls Im glad you like it!!!

Pat- For the spinner to rotate holes are drilled in center of the end cap and center of elbow joint that are at either end of the half circle made of copper. I then take a piece of copper pipe and make a flange on one end to solder to the circle and then solder a washer to the tube and insert those into the end pieces of the copper half circle. Hope that makes a little sense!!!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Chickee, I love this idea! Very creative and it looks GREAT!!!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

very cool! where else will you add the globs, I like the bug alot!!! will you show us the completed project - very interesting. How many are you going to make?

• chickeemama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice- I will post the completed project when done. The other ones (at least 2 of them) will be twelve inch circles. I will be making probably a total of 4 of them. I wont be adding more glass globs, there are five (not counting the eyes)already,those are the ones that I will use more vibrant globs to make it more colorful.

I have to wait a while to get the copper tubing cause its so expensive. Its 60.00 for a roll of it but it will go far and I'll be able to use it for all the half circles. It has to be a mallable copper oposed to the ridgid copper tubing that I will attach the copper half circle to.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Da-hannngg! I LOVE this project.
    Was this a pattern from a book? I'd like to have one for myself!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Really cool idea chickee! It's beautiful. Love the glass you used. Awesome gifts!

Hazie

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

I like it and i like your idea. Great job.

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

I love this, and would like to make something on this idea for my garden. Can you tell me what you're using for the circles?

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Oh Chickie, Love it!! Can't wait to see how you put it together.

Chris

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

Love that! I really like the curly parts and the wings. Great gift idea!

• chickeemama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bama- yes it is from a book..The Stained Glass Garden projects and patterns by George Shannon and Pat Torlen, I checked it out at the library. They have some other awesome projects in there too!!

pantherfl- I used a pre-tinned brass ring. I bought it at the local stained glass store. You can get them un-tinned but then you would have to tin it to get the solder to stick.

Im glad you like it. I wasnt to sure about the patina but like sunshine said-it would turn that way (rusty looking) in the weather anyhow!!!

It was surprisingly fast to make also. Of course I haven't made the copper frame part, so will see if I say that next when I have it done!!!

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

What a great project. I'd love to try something like that eventually. Just love garden art - and this is a beauty!

• rochelle_2006
    16 years ago

That is a great project.
    I have spinner Ghosts that hang in my trees that were made for me,and they used some type of fishing togle to let the wooden ghost spin. You might check with a fisherman to see about them.
    Rochelle

• diytrying
    16 years ago

That is really pretty. It will be wonderful spinning in the sunlight. It sounds daunting to put together...good for you.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

GREAT PROJECT!!! Patinaed copper is great! Can you tin the outside to patina it also? It looks kinda silver, I'm gearing up to do stained glass, it's always an urge to do this time of year!

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

chickee - hope you don't mind another question.... this is in response to your answer to pantherfl - "I used a pre-tinned brass ring. I bought it at the local stained glass store. You can get them un-tinned but then you would have to tin it to get the solder to stick."

I'm taking a stained glass class, and my first project is round in shape and the instructor told me to pick up a "ring" at a craft store. He said NOTHING about getting a "tinned" one. Plus, I don't have a clue what that means - can you fill me in?

I have a bunch of rings that I picked up at a thrift store (wasn't even sure what I was going to use them for but they were cheap and looked like something I might need someday :) I'm sooo bad). But anyway, I have no idea if they are "tinned". But maybe when I find out what that means, I'll know?

Thanks for your help!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Very cute Chickee.I love it and you did a great job..AGAIN

• catser2002
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm new to posting here although I have been reading for some time. I've made the same dragonfly spinner. Bought that book when it first came out and have made several of the projects.

I'm going to try to post pictures of mine on the frame. It has been outside for over a year now and has definitely "patinaed" ( or patinated ?) --- darkened --- on its own. The stands were easy to make. I've made three different sizes so far.

I didn't use the mesh on the wings. Tried it on one wing but thought the mesh covered up the glass too much so I just made some "veins" with thin copper wire.

About the ring --- I just used cheap metal rings from a craft store. I sanded off the coating on the rings then tinned them. I've made several other designs on those rings.

For the person who asked tinning just means soldering a thin layer of solder onto metal. If you don't know how to tin metal, definitely try to get pre-tinned rings if you can. Rings are not the easiest things to tin, but you can do it. It takes lots of flux and patience.

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Welcome caster! Beautiful job!
    I don't think we have ever seen 2 of the same projects here before! that's crazy!

Hazie

• chickeemama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

caster- thank you for answering lyndalu's question. I just learned about using the craft store rings, I had bought a star ring and solder would NOT adhere to it, I later learned to sand it and then the solder would stick.

I love your spinner...it looks great!!!! That book is awesome isnt it!!! I love the colors you used on the eyes and body. I like what you did with the wings. Are you making anything else in that book???

So welcome and post some more pics!!

Jane- I could not get the patina to stick to the ring..I probably should have scuffed it up first..live and learn. It would have looked better patinaed also!!!

Hazie- It is different to have to identical projects huh? I liked it cause then I can compare and get ideas for my next one. Although it made my spinner look a little more "beginnerish" in my eyes!!! Practice practice practice!! (Im saying that last part to myself! LOL!)

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well, how cute are those - (welcome CATSER). CHICKEE - not sure I understand about your copper tubing frame - half circles??? How w/you bend copper w/o crimping it? Very nice garden ornaments, both of you, and what a coincidence to make the same things.

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

I LOVE THE SPINNER>>>> what a wonderful , beauty!!!!
    It is not only beautiful.... but then to say it spins in the wind....WOW!!!!
    I love it !!!! I want one...!!!! where is santa??/
    Thanks for showing us !!!
    Happy Thanksgiving !!!!
    M E R R Y + C H R I S T MAS!!!!
    God Bless !
    susiesunshine

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

Did you ever make the other ones as gifts? Are you happy with them? I was at a SG store today, but she didn't have any of the rings that I saw. It wasn't a huge store though, so I'll keep looking. Or order online somewhere. Or maybe adapt something from the hardware store....

Anyway, I've still got these things on my list.

• chickeemama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pantherfl...I had to adapt my rings too. I learned from the gal at the stained glass store that I had to wipe them down with lacquer thinner. I will have to verify its lacquer thinner but Im pretty sure it is. (Im at work at the moment so cant go check!!!) She said there is a coating on them that makes the solder not stick. Once you wipe them down it then sticks and you can use any rings from a craft store!!!

I did finish them but did not end up using them as gifts.

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

Thanks, I'd love to make one or more for my yard, my mom's yard, etc.

I just put a hold on the book, so I should have it in a few days. Hurray for online library catalog systems!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery