Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mosaic Shoes

Posted by becky_ia (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 15, 11 at 18:16

Hello from Iowa!

Been a pretty long time since I have posted anything and it feels great to be back to working on any mosaic!

A couple of weekends ago, my husband's nephew's wife (Barbara) and a friend (Amanda) who is an elementary art teacher asked if they could come to learn how to mosaic a "shoe". Well, I have never done one, but am always willing for a new challenge and said yes. So the week before, I hunted in every second hand store I could for suitable shoes. I researched what to do with them in preparation (used Laurel Skye's book). Filled the toes with thinset, and rigid wrapped them three times.

So they came Friday night and we worked a couple of hours. Saturday put in about ten hours. Grouted and cleaned them up on Sunday (another two hours) so they were able to take them home with them Sunday afternoon.

Here are pictures of all three. I am very pleased with both gals shoes, as this was their very first mosaic and I thought they turned out fantastic! I asked then if I could share with everyone here, and they said sure!

Becky

Becky's Shoe

Barbara's Shoe

Amanda's Shoe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mosaic Shoes

Those turned out cool!!

o

I bet Slow will like these...I believe she likes this style of shoe! That 1st shoe is so gorgeous! Love the grout color! and the 2nd one has that firey middle stuff! I see some of it on the 3rd one too, is it mirror?

o

awesome, you must be a good teacher

o

Oh boy oh boy - how beautiful - all three. Yes, I love mule-style slippers. All look like something I'd love to wear. Uh - maybe not the 1st one, but I USED to wear those types. Fabulous job - all y'all.

o

I never liked mosaiced shoes, but these changed my thinking.

o

Wow! They are all so pretty.
That pale green grout on the first was daring and it looks fabulous!
Becky you are a very generous good friend and teacher!
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here