Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stainless steel tiles?

Posted by soxxxx (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 17:37

I bought about 5 square feet of stainless steel tiles at a garage sale. They are 2x2" on a mesh backed square foot piece. They may be cut into rows or cut individually. Actually each tile is a stainless steel cap glued on to a ceramic square.

After that long explanation my question is for ideas for how to use them. What other material would be compatable with the steel look?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stainless steel tiles? more info

Researched stainless tile - advised not to use outside even though it is frost resistant, and not for floors. So I am thinking that any project would have to be inside and vertical. Also the site said to use unsanded grout and plastic tools to prevent scratching. Maybe I bought a pig in a poke (whatever that really means).

o
RE: stainless steel tiles?

They would look good combined with vitreous glass tiles, natural tumbled stone, really a lot of things. I would still use sanded grout myself; I can't stand the unsanded grout. I have used sanded grout with mirror tile and have not had any problems. When I grout over mirror tile, I grout and clean gently. With tiles this large, it would be easy to cover the tile with that blue painter's tape that you can get at Lowe's before you grout.

o

You could mix glass tile, stone or travertine tiles to create a mosaic blend

o

It would be good mixed with glass as a back splash, or as a modern mirror or picture frame.
Remember to post pics when you use them.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here