Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drawing patterns on stained glass, cutting with Taurus 3 ring saw

Posted by silvamae (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 17:33

When you draw a pattern on stained glass and try to cut the pieces out with your wet saw, does the marker get washed off? I have a Taurus 3 ring saw and permanent marker washes right off in the middle of the cut. You will love this tip! I am pleased to pass on this solution that one of my students discovered. DecoColor Opaque Paint Markers come in every color and in broad line and fine line. The lines will stand up to the water from the saw. They're the kind of marker that you press the tip to a piece of paper to get the paint flowing.

To remove the marks from the glass, alcohol won't work; the directions say to use mineral spirits, but I scrape it off with an old dull-bladed knife, or can easily sand it off with one swipe of a 3M fine sanding pad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drawing patterns on stained glass, cutting with Taurus 3 ring

Oh Thank you Sylvamae!!! Great tip! I find it sooo frustrating to cut a pattern out cuz of that. They say to use contact cement smeared onto the pattern line, but it just bubbles up under the cement when I do it. So I will try this tip! I have been doing some stained glass work, but my camera is broken so I can't post any pics right now. I am about to start a lampshade, so will have to get a camera soon!!!heh heh!

o

You are welcome. I tried it and it works like a dream. I already had a bunch of those DeccoColor Opaque Paint Markers and they are about 10 years old and they still work. I don't even know where they came from; maybe Michaels or Hobby Lobby? Yep you need to get a camera soon. Maybe from Santa?

o

Just went out and bought the DecoColor Opaque Paint Markers at the local art store. They're made by Marvy. I got one black and one white, both fine point. Work perfectly!

o

Thanks for bumping this up again!

o

I've always used a chapstick without any problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here