Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

How was this made ?

toomuchglass
12 years ago

I swear - I need a refresher course on grouting because it's been so long. On another forum , someone asked how to uae spent bullet casings. Another lady posted this picture --- A "Man's birdhouse" ... I love it ! On the walls - do you think the grout is laid on and the stones were just pushed in ? Is it finished with a thick coat of poly urethane?

I just HAVE to make one for my son ( and me of course !)

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• wackyweeder
    12 years ago

Grout will not hold things-its not an adhesive type product. They either used mastic or thinset to push the stones into. And then either polyurethane or a thick glossy stone sealer I would guess.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ahhhh-- thinset --- that makes sense !!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Good grief. This is spooky. I just posted "Carol's Urn", and then started reading the forum. When I came and saw Carol's post, I thought someone had brought it up, and when I first read toomuch - I almost lost it - You KNOW what I was thinking, TOOMUCHGLASS. Nice to see you still check in here periodically.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL - Slow !!! It's that spooky time of year !
    You know we all think alike.... ;)

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

wow i agree with Slow... my eyes couldn't believe I was seeing a post by toomuch. how the heck are you? geez... and yeah the birdhse is cool

• texaswild
    12 years ago

I probably confused y'all as much as I was. I was so danged confused. I was thinking of Carol, of course, after working on her urn and posting it on Flickr, and her Flickr name was Toomuchtwodo, so when I read your post, of course, my eyes only went to "Toomuch". I thought someone had bumped one of her old posts. And THEN when I saw a response - again my mind only saw "Toomuch". Then my mind went nuts for a few seconds, cuz the whole time I was working on the urn I felt she was watching me. The pieces from her stash seemed to be all fitting perfectly. She was soo good about cutting her tiles and organizing them. I was sorta talking to her in my mind - it was like she was there cutting the pieces as I needed them to fit. It was a very spiritual thing, I tell you. I definitely felt her presence.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That IS EERIE !!! I would have freaked out,too ! I'm sure Carol *told* you where each piece should be :)

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

I under stand fully .I made a cross for a friend of mines mother a few months back who more or less starved her self to death.She was a girl scout of mine many years a go she had a sp in my heart .Any way while I was making the cross I swear she set on my shoulder all the time I was making it .Her presence was so real.Then when I got through with it she was gone.So real!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

There really are inspired pieces, I believe. I felt the same when I was making a shrine to my DD and her nursing profession. I felt God's presence through each piece I put on it. To this day, I can't read the book I made to go w/it w/o crying. It brought tears to my student's eyes last week when she read the book after looking at all the pieces in the shrine. Real inspiration, indeed, NANA.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Since it looks smooth, shiny and gray, It resembles PC-7 brand epoxy putty. Epoxy is good for holding together disparate materials like used in that project. It can be tooled smooth before it sets with some xylol on a gloved finger or tool.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: PC-7 epoxy