Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I use for a backing ?

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 16:33

Help !!!

I'm on a roll - I want to make a BIG mosaic to hang on the living room wall .( About 20" x 36" ) The glass alone is going to be heavy . Do you know what a good backboard could be ? Something light & that doesn't flex ? I'm at a loss. I also don't know how to hang a framed mosaic that heavy . My old house has walls of Lath & Plaster - heavy duty stuff ! If you have any suggestions --- I'd LOVE to hear it !

Mucho Thanks ! ( I hope I can pull this off ! )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I use for a backing ?

I'm thinking maybe wedi board. Not lots of flex and very light. Or, you could consider using metal lathe cut to your size and a coating of cement to fill it in for the mosaics to adhere to ? I do think it is doeable also, but will be darn heavy .

o

definitely the Wedi board is what you need

Here is a link that might be useful: wedi at maryland mosaics

o

What ever happened to the people who were experimenting with a thin layer of mortor on styrene or was it blue board? (Cheaper than wedi board)

Otherwise wedi is the way to go.

Kathy would you consider making it in several pieces, like a triptych?

Kathy

o

I was just thinking of making it in 3 pcs ! You read my mind ! It'll be alot easier on the walls. I'll have to look up Wedi board - It's been so long - I forgot about it . I have some homasote here , but I keep it to solder on. Off to check out wedi !

o

that was me concreteprimrose, it works but its heavy. ChickchickchicKENs ended up weighing over 40 lbs

o

Wedi board is the way to go. I have ordered it in the past from Maryland Mosaics. It must be becoming more well-known, because now a local tile company carries it (Daltile) and they let me buy some from them even though they sell only to contractors, they make an exception for mosaic artists. After I went there and picked up the Wedi, I went to my local stained glass shop to place a large order for glass, and saw that he now carries Wedi also! Yay! And he carries MAC glue now. Anyway, you will be amazed at how light-weight Wedi is. Also, Wedi has a special hanging system you can buy. I recently found out that Michaels (our local arts and crafts shop) now carries a French cleat for hanging heavy objects. Just Google it and you will see what I'm talking about; it's a really clever and simple way to hang stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here