Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Deanna's Birdbath WIP

texaswild
11 years ago

A lady who bought one of my birdbaths a couple years ago asked me to make another one for a flowerbed at the entry to her home. Got the bowl made - a sunflower. There'll be two more flowers - a tall one and a medium tall one,stems, leaves, a mushroom, hopefully a frog sitting on a leaf etc. Gonna have fun w/this one.

Comments (44)

• toomuchglass
    11 years ago

That's looking like the the start to another masterpiece !
    I love birdbaths. I can't wait to see yours done. Will you post some WIP's ???

• silvamae
    11 years ago

That is truly going to be one-of-a-kind - I can't wait to see it further along!

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Looks like a great start !! can not wait to see the next step.

• loribee2
    11 years ago

Fun! Can't wait to see more!

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Very AWESOME!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank y'all. Of course, I'll post WIP pics.

• ItsmeChickadee
    11 years ago

Slow, how did you learn to make substrates? I'm fascinated by the things you create. It looks like yet another mosaic avenue to explore!
    Becky

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, ITSY: CALAMITY, KLINGER went to the Hacienda Mosaico in Puerto Vallarta Mexico eight years ago to take Riana's workshop. Look on "Concrete Garden Sculpture - Wouterina de Raad's website to see her wonderful garden sculptures. We three had the most wonderful experience during that workshop. It has become very addictive to me, and I can't seem to find a stopping place. My house is too full to put anymore wall stuff, so I had to move it otside. This technique w/withstand any extreme climates. I've gone back to the Hacienda every year since - not always to take a workshop, but to mosaic things for Sam, the owner. Going March 3 to take Susan Weschler's workshop. It was her Buddha project that inspired me to make one for my bedroom. Check my album - "Inside Mosaics" to see it and the Fireplace Turned Grotto. There's so much one can do w/this technique. Hope you'll give it a try. I put a tutorial on Flickr - my Flickr name is Ratherbmosaicing. Check that out too.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Re-read my message. Left out CALAM and KLINGER and I went..... Also check out Hacienda Mosaico on-line too.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

I actually have a link on my desktop to Susan Weschler's web site and I look at her stuff often and try to imagine myself doing that. If I win the lottery or otherwise come into some unexpected money, can I come with y'all to the next one?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Doncha just LOVE her style of art. Have you watched the video of how she makes the shrines? If any of you are interested in making a Buddha shrine, I bought two - one on Amazon.com from Alpine - for 80. w/free shipping. Making that one for my KS daughter Suzie, and the last one from Lamps Plus - $79 w/free shipping - put that one in my bedroom w/the tree. I've seen them for $59 now. Link follows for mine - totally different than Susan's - just inspired by hers. I felt it needed some greenery nearby, so built the tree too. Pictures are in the album of my bedroom to show why and where the project was to be placed. I already had a set of Buddhas in the room. I'm Southern Baptist, and my Baptist friends think I've left Christendom for enlightment or that I'm a heathen or worshiping graven images, especially w/the shrines and the wonderful Catholic art I build. GEESH - do they not have an ounce of artistic appreciation. I love religious art - no matter whose religion, and respect the same.
    Buddha Project Pics

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to address your question, SILVA, about joining us. Are you kidding me???????? I w/soooooo love to meet anyone on this forum in PV. Because of my serious back problems, I sorta expect this w/be my last trip, but hoping not. BTW - one doesn't have to take the workshop to stay there, so check out the Hacienda site, write Sam a message on room rates - double occupancy. They're very reasonable, especially w/what you get - breakfast, lunch and a whole body immersion in the most wonderful art you'll ever see - at the Hacienda AND in the town. I especially love the picture of CALAMITY and me looking up at a bronze statue on the beach - our first trip there. CALAM and KLINGER have returned a couple/three times too, but not for workshops.
    Hacienda Mosaico

• silvamae
    11 years ago

a dream . . .

• loribee2
    11 years ago

Love you, SLOW.

• drtdgr
    11 years ago

Oh, my goodness. All your work - deliciously bodacious.

The thought of the proper church ladies thinking you've gone to the dark side - priceless.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love y'all too, LORI. Here's the update. One Morning Glory down w/a few small ones up from the bottom and another one on the top. They aren't easy to make!!!
    Update

• loribee2
    11 years ago

Wow, that is really turning into a work of art. Wasn't expecting the extra flower off to the side. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally figured out an easy way to make the Morning Glories. Got a late start today - got a new doggie, and have had looooooots of things to do.
    Update on birdbath

• silvamae
    11 years ago

That is going to be fabulous; can't wait . . . and do tell about the doggie. What kind and is it a puppy?

• ItsmeChickadee
    11 years ago

Cool! Thanks for the link. I gotta try this (when I'm not busy)! Yeah right! Susan Wechsler's studio is about 5 minutes from where I work. I've visited it a couple of times on studio tours and been inspired.
    Becky

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Oh My, you are giving me ideas for my plain jane project!!!ha!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhh ITSY: Wish I could visit Susan's studio. She is sooo accommodating. She's building and sending to me a niche b/f the workshop, since I wasn't interested in making a Spirit House. I LOVE her work.

I'm adding Cosmos and leaves to the birdbath today. Have a prospective student coming to watch.

W/post a picture of my new dog on the conversation side. Don't want the OT police to get me.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Progress report. Had to tie it down in three places to keep it level and from falling over. Hopefully, it'll stand straight when all the bottom parts are concreted. WHY do I continue to create nightmares?!
    Birdbath Update

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Fabulous!!! Just had a BFF Day with Klinger and she is gonna have to post a WIP pic or two, she is working on a project!!! You look AWESOME Slow!!!! Love this masterpc of yours!!!

• ItsmeChickadee
    11 years ago

Oh my, that is fantastic! I love being able to see it from it's inception and can't wait to see the finished product. You are so inspiring!
    Becky

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Oh yes it is looking great !!! Lot of work.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

YES - tons of work, but the spot where it'll be placed calls for something spectacular. This is my effort to make something unique and large enough to make a statement in the flowerbed at the entry to a very fancy house on the ritzy part of town. Thanks, y'all. CALAM - do press KLINGER to post her pictures of her WIP. Give us a hint what it is. Anxious to seeeeeeeeeeee, please.

• loribee2
    11 years ago

Wow this is really amazing. Love the new pictures! I'm curious though, is there a tube or opening in the flowers to let the water drain through? I wonder if they'll fill up if it rains?

If you were going for a statement piece, you nailed it. Can't wait to see how this one looks finished!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Lori - there w/be drainage holes. Going to suggest she plant inside the flowers - drapy succelents or in the large Morning Glory, perhaps an annual - Petunias or Impatiens - whatever.

• oldcrafty
    11 years ago

I'm always amazed to see what creation one little lady can come up with! This is awesome to say the least and it will be a planter as well!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Had to do major surgery on it, and have been busier than a cat covering pooh on a marble floor, so can't get back to it until after the holiday. Thanks, CRAFTY.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

Really now, slow. Your lack of ambition is alarming.

grin

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

geez, you are definitely the BEST with that mesh... I can't even dream of building stuff like this. AMAZING

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not true, NT. I've seen you work w/it. If I can do this, ANYONE can. Of course, practice makes it easier. I had to perform major surgery on it - won't go into it, but I hope it doesn't need surgery on the heart-shaped leaf. Again, I didn't make the stem strong enough, so...... Hope to begin mosaicing tomorrow - busy time of year to be playing w/my toys for other people.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

aaah, I see where you had the issue, I've been slowly picking away on an idea for long stem toadstools and finally decided I had to build on bent rebar to carry the awkward wt,

this is a dreamy compilation

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

WOW that is so going to be cool!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally took a picture of this horror. I lost interest in it over the winter, then had to finish it to keep from asking Juan to carry it off to the dump. Hated every minute of slapping on tiles, so didn't sell it. Birds don't care if it's ugly.
    Birdbath from Hades

• wackyweeder
    10 years ago

ugly-you have not mosaiced in too long and have lost your mind.
    Its stunning and I would love to have it sitting in my flower bed. Its not even a birdbath its a piece of sculpture!

• silvamae
    10 years ago

What's wrong with Photobucket; does anyone know? I clicked on "birdbath from Hades" but it goes instead to this beautiful piece of sculpture that slowmedown did last year.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL. I can't believe y'all. Thank you anyway. I first had Juan dig a hole to bury the footer, but then needed to add a plant that Jeannie gave me, which looks dead at this point, so he moved it out a little from the fence. W/move it back to the fence when I pull the tomatoes out in the fall.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

LOL Silva and Jenny! I agree that there is nothing wrong with this, maybe it didn't come out the way you envisioned it, but I'd be proud to have this work of beauty in my yard!

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

I am with the others I like it.

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

I look forward to seeing this in person!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again, y'all.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years