Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Pet Grave Marker

texaswild
14 years ago

Finally consulted w/my friend to get approximate size for his dog's marker. Here's what I accomplished today, after finishing the frame. I had planned to start mosaicing the "fence", but don't trust the weather staying nice enough to finish, so w/wait 'till spring. Fashioned the cross from the diamond mesh - one layer, and mixed a very thick mortar and covered the mesh to shape. The cross pieces I notice are too high, but they aren't attached to the center. Don't have a clue how I'll mosaic it, but he has given me license to do whatever I want on the whole design and mosaic. Her name/dates w/be under a light-colored transparent glass.

Beginning the Pet Marker

Comments (20)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Two layers of mesh and ready to mortar tomorrow. The flaps on the bottom plus about two more inches w/be buried and in concrete for the footing. I might add a 3-D mesh vine/leaf thingy. Still no ideas on mosaic designs.
    Ready for Mortar

• iminmystudio
    14 years ago

That is a lovely thing for you to do for your friend, I love the cross I didn't realise it was bones until I enlarged the picture it looks fantastic.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Slow this is gonna be great....I need to make a marker for our Ranger we lost last year but I'm sure when I do get around to it it won't be as cool as yours....great gift

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Lookin good. What a great idea.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Finally got Christmas gifts finished, and now am back to my friend's dog (Shelby) marker. I made a cemetery-sized marker -- 20" wide X 32" tall, even though she is buried in his back yard. I took a cue from TEX's bottle cap tess, and used beer bottle bottoms and the bottle caps w/half marbles inside, surrounded w/BBs to encircle the bottoms. Separating those, I used tiles I bought in Puerto Vallarta. I'm liking what I've done so far.
    Pet Marker

• meadel
    14 years ago

Hi Slow!
    You are such a source of inspiration ! I just love looking through your pictures. Even though I am absent from this forum for long stretches, it's like coming home when I do.
    This is a wonderful memorial for your friends dog! I know it will be fantastic when it's done.
    I'm going to have to try this method someday. Maybe in the spring.

( I'm compelled to say though it seems inappropriate, that when I saw the picture with the half a bone.. that I thought it was boobs ! Ok.. I didn't have my glasses on.. but it so reminded me of that post of Janie's where she spelled 'it" with a "t" in front. I had a good long laugh.. I'm still laughing at that post.... )

: )
    Lori

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

WOW! I think you have outdone yourself on this one! LOVE the pattern and the beer bottle bottoms. I am crazy about the sm tiles u got in PV> Don't suppose I could talk you into bringing me a few dozen when you go this time? I could send $ with you or pay when you get home. Please, please.....I am sure Tracy loves this marker. It is great.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

This is interesting... I still haven't tried to make a marker for my Mara dog and now ya got my thinking.. I hadn't considered using that method. Very cool with the bones shapes.

I saw bone NOT boobs but now I seem to want to make that typo - Thanks MEADEL! LOL

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS! MEADEL!!!!!! WHAT HAVE I DONE???!!!!! I looked, and sure enough - on the name plate as big as you please is what you so delicately describe. I don't remember CALAM's post, but I'm laughing too at what my picture looks like. Groooooaaaaaan. Hey, Lady, it's good to see you back. I miss your work so much. Show us what you've been up to. FLAG: GASP!!!!! A FEW DOZEN????? I am allowed 55 lbs. per bag. My tools alone w/be about 10 lbs., clothing for a week and any purchases I might make - I just hope I don't have to pay overweight this year because of the tools required for my class. You sent me a website recently on Ebay where the tiles are actually cheaper than they are at the tile factory in PV. Posting a link for you.

Mexican Tiles

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Little progress today - housecleaning took priority.
    Outlining

• ans_garden
    14 years ago

Hmmm, note to self: add housecleaning to list of get-ready-for Christmas to-dos...:) Do you mind telling how you made the structure itself & how heavy the final piece is - can you lift it? The colors are great and I love how the cross is made of bones, but I also noticed the flowers on the sides look paw prints. All together, so sweet.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Love the side border!!! And the outlining of the bone cross!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all. ANS: To make the structure, I used diamond lath - the wire mesh used in plastering. Two layers of the mesh, then applied concrete mortar. It took nearly one sheet of the mesh, and nearly a whole 60-lb. bag of mortar. If I hadn't put the wings on the base for putting the structure in the ground, and if it was on the floor, I probably could lift it, w/much difficulty. Won't even try. My friend w/have to come pick it up.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Little more progress today. My friend came to bring Shelby's tags and is VERY pleased w/how I'm mosaicing this. Said he'd like me to make HIS memorial marker!!!!!!! Yeah, right!
    Today's Progress

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

oh I love the flowers! its your new calling Slow! lol J/K

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

New calling, NT?? You mean making cemetery memorials? I have to admit that I'm lovin' every minute of this one. Got the front finished gluing. Probably won't get to work on the back until after Christmas. BTW - the green in the center of the cross is Shelby's tag. The beauty of the watered gold mirror can't be captured on camera.
    Front gluing finished

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Except for a final cleanup and a vinegar bath, it's finally finished. Over three hrs. to grout!!!!! Hate grouting.
    Marker Finished

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

3 hours of grouting!? You lucky dog!!! I sooo love the sides, with the bottle bottoms, they are like rondels!! Ya, I am very partial to that blingy mirror stuff!!!ha! I've been thinking about a cross in the back yard, similar to this idea, like a big ol' celtic cross, 5ft high!! Maybe make it with styrofoam wrapped with mesh/mortared, with a pc of rebar to anchor it in the ground...hmmm, still pondering on this idea...anyhoo, this turned out Super! Another Slow inspiration!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, CALAM. He's picking it up today. He LOVES it, and can't wait to show it to his wife. He is also coming Sunday for his first lesson in mosaicing. They went to San Miguel last week, and he said he went to art galleries, and now wants to make some art for himself. He was so excited yesterday when he came - all fired up and inspired - just like when I return from PV - FULL of inspiration. Your cross plans sound wonderful.

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

I am so glad to hear that he liked the marker. I did too, I thought it was beautiful and I;m sure they will cherish it. I can't seem to get inspired since I have been sick and shut in. I am on the mend and will try to get started again, maybe you will jump start me when you return from PV. You lucky dog. I know it will be nice and warm down there.
    Great job on the marker..

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!