Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shaping ceramic tile

Posted by mattie_2008 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 8, 11 at 15:37

Is there a special method to shaping tile? I'm wanting to nip/cut long (3" maybe 4") narrow tail feathers and the tile just keeps breaking off into smaller pieces. These pieces also have to have a slight curve to them.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shaping ceramic tile

The only way I know to shape tile is to use a tile saw. I have a Taurus 3 ring saw that I can use to cut any shape in either tile or stained glass. It's slow work, cutting tile, and the replacement blades are expensive. If you wanted to cut stained glass into shapes, I usually use a Toyo pistol grip glass cutter and I can score the glass with that and then break it with a Fletcher tool.

o

Mattie. as Silva says, its tricky but you can do it with nips if you understand that you can only "chew" your way to the edge and not cut anything out really. I think of nippers as nibbling away excess until you get what you want... its not perfect and it does take time to develop the skills reliably.

you are less likely to make a curved break if your cutting edge is perpendicular to the tile face and not leaning away or toward the tile surface.

o

Thanks ladies, working with (ceramic) tile is quite different than glass so it is a learning experience. Working on a small mural, will post pictures later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here