Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ernie85017

Making special grout

Hi!

I am making a house number plaque. I figured I should make it compatible with the seahorse mailbox. The bottom is seashells, top numbers and white tiles to match the mailbos.

I would like to make grout from some sand I have. I thought it would look better between the shells. I was going to mix it with Elmer's as it won't be in the rain. But Elmer's probably won't wear well in the long run.

What would you make it with?

Comments (13)

• wackyweeder
    12 years ago

I have heard of people using weldbond for that-Im not sure if mac would work or not.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

You could use a sand colored grout.
    Mixing craft glue with sand makes me a little nervous. You could "grout" with mortor and sprinkle sand on top, or silicone and sprinkle sand on top.
    I think I would just go with sand colored grout.
    Kathy

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What is mac?
    I really want the texture of the sand that I have. When I get an idea in my head, it's not in my elbow. My father used tosay that, and I still don't know what it means. Stubborn, I guess.
    Silicone and sand sounds possible.
    Still mulling it around. Anyone else with ideas?

• silvamae
    12 years ago

The problem I see with using glue and sand for grout is that you may make a mess on your tess that is not easily cleaned off. If I get MAC glue on a tile and I fail to completely wipe it off right away, I have a hard time cleaning it off later; it leaves a smear. Same problem with silicon. To accomplish what you want, I would grout with sand-colored sanded grout and then while it is still wet, the instant I wiped the piece off, I would then cover the piece with the sand you have, press it firmly into the grout, and then brush the piece back off, with the goal being for the sand to stick to the grout lines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

• texaswild
    12 years ago

If I were doing your project, I'd use regular sanded grout, and while it is wet, push my sand into it?

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Grout is basically a cement mix and it is made with sand (or at least the sanded one is), so it seems like you should be able to make it with your sand. But I have no idea how.

I found this link on e-how on how to make mortor. I suppose you could try it. Be careful if you do.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: diy mortor mix instructions

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

I'd do what Slow suggests, use a tan grout and then press dand into it before its cured.

Silva has it right about the glue and sand mix, i sometimes grout pendants with micro marbles and its a friggen mess to clean up glue and marbles off the tess

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I knew you all would have answers. I didn't think about glue residue. I would be the one to leave just enough behind to make it look bad.
    Nice, I was thinking of microbeads for another project. Which glue to you use?
    I will have to experiment with all your ideas later today. WIsh me luck.

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

I was using weldbond just because I figured I could clean it easier than anything else

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is what I ended up doing: I took the premixed mortar and mixed a LOT of sand in it. So it looked like more sand than mortar. Pressed it into the spaces and used a dry paint brush to poke it in firmly so it kept a "sandy" texture. Wasn't sure this would work.

Today, it's dry and it's strong! Not something you would want in a piece that truly needed grout, but fine for an ornamental use.

I have a little sample drying to see if spraying it with clear spray paint will make it look like wet sand. I like that look better. Otherwise, I don't know what to use to make it look like wet sand. Any ideas?

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Try clear nail polish. On my Cleo bench/planter, I wanted the grout to shine so I used spray varnish. Worked fine.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't understand the differences between polyurethane and varnish and clear spray paint.
    Would varnish come off with time? I was thinking of making the shells shiny by sealing with it.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

There are two kinds of polyurethane - water-based and oil-based. I hate working w/the oil. Varnish is oil-based and the spray was so easy. Used a whole can on Cleo, and it gave the effect I wanted. If it comes off, I'll re-spray it.

Sponsored