Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itsmechickadee

Wheeled Nipper Help

ItsmeChickadee
11 years ago

I sure could use some help/advice! I am teaching a mosaic class and got wheeled glass nippers for my three students. I thought I was buying Leponitt brand nippers, but got Diamond Tech ones instead. I figured, no problem, they're wheeled nippers. Unfortunately, they don't work as well as my Leponitt ones. The wheels are loose and don't tighten with an allen wrench. The wheels are tight on my nippers. Also, the diamond tech ones have a bigger gap between the wheels and don't cut thin glass very well. Does anyone have any experience with this? Did I just get the wrong nippers? Inquiring minds need to know!

Thanks,

Becky

Comments (11)

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

I bought wheeled nippers from Harbor freight. Do not remember the brand. I had to send them back. The problems were exactly as you described and they will never work that way.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

The only thing I can think of to say is, chalk it up to experience and buy some Leponitt wheeled nippers. Take the other ones back if you can, and if you can't maybe you can reserve them for thicker items only.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

I had a pair of nippers the wheels were tight on which is good. They also did not want to cut the 1/8 inch thick glass. I took a file to the two stops on the handles and filed them down. It worked. I had to fiddle with it quite awhile. I think I used my Dremel to do this.

But the wheels being loose makes the cuts shatter and unpredictable verses nip. I wanted to try putting shims behind the wheels but it turned out the screws were rusted on one pair and they are also tapered. So my husband said. Like you I was bummed because they were smaller=lighter and felt good in my hands.

They were not Leponitt either. I want to get a pair. My nippers are about worn out and not worth buying new wheels for. The screws do not stay tight for very long.

Open to suggestions on the best place to get the Leponitt.

• wackyweeder
    11 years ago

I use the HF nippers and love them, what I do is get a small washer and put on the screw that holds the blade, up next to the blade and they tighten up just fine. The HF ones cost 7 dollars, cut way better than the Diamond tech ones, and the wheels come closer together.

• ItsmeChickadee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to play with a washer tonight and also am going to contact Delphi to see if they'll take them back. Unfortunately, they're opened, so probably not, but it's worth a shot. I love my Leponitts. Lesson learned!
    Shades, I got my Leponitts from Opus Mosaics. I love that company!
    Becky

• ItsmeChickadee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to play with a washer tonight and also am going to contact Delphi to see if they'll take them back. Unfortunately, they're opened, so probably not, but it's worth a shot. I love my Leponitts. Lesson learned!
    Shades, I got my Leponitts from Opus Mosaics. I love that company!
    Becky

• texaswild
    11 years ago

The washer idea is brilliant - gonna try that. I have a couple pairs of off-brand knippers that won't stay tight. Bought them at Hobby Lobby. Have one pair from there that no way w/the screw loosen to change blades. Didn't know Harbor F. carried them. Home Depot also has them - $12.00. I quit buying from Delphi cuz of their ridiculously high shipping.

• wackyweeder
    11 years ago

Been using them that way for several years with out a problem. Love my cheapo nippers. Not afraid to break em, LOL

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

I have been using them also and I take the screw out and put in another one with a Philips end easier to tighten.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

I'm with WW, my husband bought me a pair of those HF 9 dollar jobs and I like how light they are. I switch back and forth between those and my lepps - whatevers closest

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Hmmm, maybe I can get Slow to buy a set and send em up here to me!

Sponsored