Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhubarb_stalker

start up costs for stained glass

rhubarb_stalker
14 years ago

I'm intrigued with stained glass and am thinking of taking it up as a hobby. Is it an expensive hobby? What are the start up costs for the *basic* equipment?

What equipment sources are your favorites for bargains?

Comments (10)

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

HUMMM....There are MANY more glass people here and I mosaic with it rather than make stained glass, but THERE IS A HUGE COST. First you have to go on the hunt.....forces you to visit every thrift store in a 500 county area; then you buy every pretty piece that hints at some potential (a nickle on the dollar but that forces you to buy more); then you have to find a place to put it until you are inspired to use it; then you start something and need more of what you DON'T have; then you break it all up and need jars, or gladware, or boxes or whatever to store it; then you need at least two or three kinds of grout AND some thinset; Then of course you need substrate and THAT needs storing cuz just some is not good enough...need more! Then you need studio room and many have pretty spiffy places, but I use the guest room when there are no guests and they have to tiptoe around the room praying that I have vacuumed well to protect their toes. Sorry, I am laughing and being silly, but it costs no matter how you start, but it is soooooooo satisfying.
    I hope now that some stained glass person will answer you for real. I hope you find it something you can enjoy. That's what it is all about. :)

• fldirt
    14 years ago

I would also suggest that you take a couple of classes. Look around & see if there is someone who teaches in your area. Well worth the money!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

I've been absent of late. Welcome to the forum. ALL hobbies are expensive. You can start small to see if you like it. I use stained glass for mosaics. Lots of wonderful talent on this forum in traditional stained glass. Hope you've made a start by now. Pictures, please, of your WIPs.

• phish_gw
    14 years ago

The class was cheap (like 50). My startup materials cost about $125, but I didn't have to buy a grinder because I used the one in class. It was fun to learn and fun to learn in a class. I recommend it.

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Rhu- Slow and I looked into taking a class at this place in the Spring, but it is very costly considering all you need for the class. Take a look thru the website and read what they require. I would imagine most everyplace is like this with their classes. I have all my Sister's tools,glass and everything she had for a class she took and then she became ill and passed away before she could make much. I am very fortunate to have all of this and not need to buy much but a grinder sometime.
    I am self taught and would love to take a class and learn the Right way to do this. I have learned most everything from the web and this forum. If you Google stained glass, You Tube has a lot of videos that can be very helpful.
    Good luck..

Here is a link that might be useful: stained glass classes

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

I wish you all lived close to me. I have been wanting to start a stained glass club. I would love to be able to share my studio and one night a month with others who are truely interested in knowing a wonderful art. I have all of the necessary tools (and then some) and a wonderful space to work in. I would just love to share the love with others. In a club, you could share what you know andl learn things that others know without the cost of a class, and the initial start up cost.

• rhubarb_stalker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I appreciate all the suggestions I've received concerning my query. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Anybody with such a cool name is welcome here ANY time!!! I, like Smickerdoodle, have been wanting to invite people to my studio to do/play with glass, but but no takers...I was hoping too, as I could use it to motivate me back into it again!

• anneinva_2009
    14 years ago

I make mosaics with the glass. I found a man who makes windows for churches and such. he sold a bucket of scraps to me for $20. i mean giant industrial pool chemical size. wowee. plus if you tell people, they will give you things like leftover tile.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz