Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Framing a GOG .. question

toomuchglass
16 years ago

I remember that alot of your GOG's are done on windows that already have frames. If you've ever made one that didn't have a frame - what did you use ? How did you hang it ?

Comments (10)

• LinLee
    16 years ago

My current gog is on glass that I will
    be putting in a frame. I don't plan on hanging it in
    a window, but if I were I would probably just paint the back of the frame black.
    Plan to hold the picture in with a couple dabs of silicone
    on the edges...that's how the original mirror was set in it.

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Glue hangers to the piece, drill holes for chains, frame it myself. These are all things I have done.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

This is a good question. I've been wondering if anyone has purchased large photo/poster frames, like 16X20 size, and GOG'd it. But then the glass has to be secured in the frame because it wouldn't have the backing so what would you do? Use silicone? Anyone have experience with this?

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I would say silicone would be best. You could use staples, or framing points , but you'd risk breaking your glass. Another option would be wood strips nailed to the side of the lip. I have a stained glass window that was done this way.

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

My stained glass store has raw wood stock for framing stained glass and mosaics. The stock is milled and then kerfed so the glass fits right in (like a traditional picture frame but sturdier).

Mosaic GOG adds a lot of weight and I don't think silicone will hold if you are talking about reinforcing the frame with it. I would make sure the corners were braced very well before hanging it.

I like cleats or French cleats to hang heavy objects.

Here is a link that might be useful: cleat hangers

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure silicone would be enough but I'm sure DH would know how to secure it.

MW, those frames sure sound interesting but I haven't seen those at all. I've looked online occassionally but never seem to find something like that. Is there one manufacturer that makes them or is that something your SG store offere independently.

Thanks for the feedback.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was wondering if 2 frames - back to back with the glass in between , would look ok . That way - it would look good from the back and the front .... This it's do-able ?

• rchovey
    16 years ago

The one I framed was going outdoors (the frog pond panel), I made the frame out of plastic top-cap for plastic lattice panels from HD, reinforced the corners with L-brackets.

Here is a link that might be useful: GOG panel

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

TMG, I'm glad you asked this question. I have been wondering the same thing, as I have decided to turn my coffee table top into a hanging instead, and mosaic the coffee table separately. (Need to finish that table top! Keep waiting for my new work area to happen!) My plan is to take an old window frame, take it apart, cut it to size, and put it back together. I like BAMA's idea to secure it with nailed strips. I think that would work dandy. And I am sure that MW's advice is sound, to reinforce the corners. I have thought that as well. The GREAT minds think alike, eh? :) Show us the end result!
    Btw, Jerry's Artarama sells artist frame millwork. Check out their website at jerrysartarama.com.

Roni

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Here's the direct link to Jerry's custom framework.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jerry's Artarama frames

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services