Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Frame for Kate's Painting

texaswild
14 years ago

Have had this since last Christmas. It's a watercolor painting that Kate - my DGD painted for her Mo. Since I don't care for the painting, I've had a problem coming up w/a frame. I sprayed it seven layers of watercolor sealer, and used OSB for the substrate. The little slate tiles are from Lowes, and the yellow satin finish glass tiles were purchased from a surplus store in town. Grape-colored 3/4" tiles trimmed to 1/2" were used for the edges. Tomorrow's sealer w/shiny up the slate and charcoal grout. It felt good to be mosaicing again, even though it's something I don't LOVE. There were so many colors in the painting I tried not to draw attention away from it.

Frame

Comments (20)

• gibsona
    14 years ago

Glad you're back at your workbench. We've missed you. :0) ~Ann

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Ditto Ann. Nice job Slow.

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

I like it. You did good gal coming up with something that would compliment this painting was a challenge which you met and exceeded.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all. I cut petals for colorful flowers to go around the edges - couldn't help myself, and since my tumbler stopped working, I dug out my ice cream freezer. What a nice tumbler that turned out to be. Hope to get this project finished today, w/the hangers on the back, sealing and the flowers on. WHY do I most always neglect to put the hangers on FIRST???!!!

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Wow nice frame...No doubt she is your GD! You can see that wild bohemian style in her painting....LOL!!!! Nice job..I always forget the hangers too...Much easier putting them on before but I always end up doing it after

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooooh YES, CATH - took me three times to put the hangers on, then had to put washers on the six screws, and then file down cuz they were a still a bit too long. I never learn. THEN, I was disappointed that I didn't notice I'd bought non-glossy Tile Lab sealer!!! I couldn't resit adding a little more color. Might be tacky or gaudi, but hey, that's me - call me gaudy. Don't care.
    Frame finished

• gibsona
    14 years ago

I love the flowers! They look like they are holding the painting in the frame. I'm sure she'll love it! ~Ann

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Oh the flowers are great!!!! I love em...and I'm sure yur daughter will too...Her daughters painting and her mothers frame!!! How COOL!!!! What a great gift...

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

You did an amazing job complementing and enhancing the painting. Nice that a gd inherited talent!
    kathy

• iminmystudio
    14 years ago

I love the frame and the painting.

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

I do too!! looks great!

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Really nice job, Slow. It's hard when you don't like a piece and can't alter it, isn't it? I love the flowers too. They add something special, but don't subtract a thing. Well done.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, thanks, y'all.

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Hey Gaudy! Just couldn't resist!
    Not gaudy at all, they look just fine. I agree with Ann, they kind of make the painting appear "suspended" in the frame. Was that the right word?

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

well, I think you did a fab job to be doing it on something you weren't crazy about. At least it is done and you can move on to bigger and better things. Good job Ms Gaudy....

• addiesue
    14 years ago

I don't think it looks gaudy at all! Nice choice of colors too. I love it!

Addiesue

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Slow, you did a great job, and I'm sure it was especially hard for you since you didn't care for it anyway.

It doesn't look gaudy to me, and to anyone who says our Slow is that, shame on them, they are just silly uneducated people in the ways of true ART!!

I heard you've been absent a lot, glad you are back. I'll try to check in more often too. Hope you had a nice thanksgiving.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, have been absent - busy as a cat covering poop on a marble floor. Hope to get back to mosaicing after the holidays and PV trip. Thanksgiving was WONDERFUL. I posted pictures of the trip on the conversation side. Thanks, y'all, for your comments.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    14 years ago

this is the first time I've been back in a month..
    oh, where to begin...
    first off, I love that painting..it's random, unique, abstract, colorful and has wonderful movement in it..
    give her my compliments, will you?

all around the house, I see my supplies for mosaic and it calls to me but there have been so many things that I've been up to, that it's never given me a chance to even begin to pull it out again..

I will though, you can count on it.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

You had the Perfect colors to go around this frame!!! And I too, love the flowers!!! Good Job!!! Jane