Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie10059

Back splash

julie10059
10 years ago

Well- started my backsplash & have made some mistakes, also the sticky mesh is not so sticky so now I have to work out a solution on how to transfer this to the wall in large pieces without the tile falling off the mesh, hmm....oh well another thing to keep me awake at night lol. It is in two sections & my wall color is sea foam, hoping it will look ok once it is up & grouted

Comments (30)

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Wow, it's going to look great! One thing to try is, tape everything together on the top side with blue painter's tape; that will help to move it without everything falling off. I learn everything by trial and error, myself, so I can relate!

• wackyweeder
    10 years ago

Yes, tape or I have heard something about Glad press n seal this stuff I think, or clear contact paper over the front to transfer it.
    Did you use wall repair mesh to stick your pieces on? I love the stuff for certain things, but I always keep it in a plastic bag when not using it as it does seem to dry out.
    I think it will look GREAT with seafoam, are you going to grout in that too?

Here is a link that might be useful: press n seal

• julie10059
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used the sticky mesh from tile mania & it is brand new, so not impressed with it. The tape & the contact is a great idea, I will try one of those or maybe both, thanks ladies!
    I was going to try & use black grout on the black & color match the other tile, may be getting a bit ahead of myself though :/

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

looks fantastic

• julie10059
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thinking about it wackyweeder, I will probly' try to do the seafoam colored grout on all except the black parts, thanks for the ideas, will post either the finished product or the fatality next week

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

This looks great and what every one says sounds like a great idea .Next time you use it the mesh just use a little glue like you would do with the other.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

That's really nice work - and I like the design. My, what a clean work space.

• julie10059
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks slowmedown, I am very critical of my own work & may change it a little yet, workspace is not always that clean, I just tidied up & swept off the work table. Used to be my sewing room, thus the huge table,but my eyes are no good for sewing anymore so converted it to a studio.
    You girls do such fantastic work I am very humbled by your kind words

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

Your backsplash is looking wonderful. Love the lines and the colors.

• becky_ia
    10 years ago

Very neat and precise/ I too am looking forward to seeing it installed. You are doing a fantastic job.

• julie10059
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Made a few changes & getting close to being happy with it so far, I have a mental block kind of thing going on sometimes :/

• julie10059
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update on the backsplash. I put it on the wall today, some fell off as I was installing it but fixed pretty easily. Grouting tomorrow!

• silvamae
    10 years ago

You may already be familiar with black grout - but just in case, I will tell you what helps me. It is so messy and stains your fingernails so bad. I use those thin little home health gloves when grouting, so for black grout, I wear 3 on my right hand. I have a box of small and another of medium, so I put on a small and then 2 mediums. Before I glove up, I claw a bar of damp soap so as to get it under my nails. That way, if the gloves leak, my nails are not ruined. Have fun tomorrow!

• julie10059
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Silvamea, any tips are greatly appreciated, I will take your advice & use gloves. I had nails until I started this hobby but they don't last long with wet grinding, oh well :/

• silvamae
    10 years ago

One more thing; there are these items called "cots" or finger gloves; Slow sent me some one time in an exchange but I've used them all up. I put a link below to one website that sells them so you can see what I'm talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: finger gloves

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

that looks really good installed!

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

That looks really nice. Can't wait to see it grouted . Just last week I picked up a package of finger gloves at walmart. They were near the gloves in the pharmacy area. The box contained 3 sizes - 12 small 12 medium and 12 large. A whopping $1.97.

• julie10059
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, I will have to look at the finger tips, this is great getting all these tips, what a wonderful group!

• texaswild
    10 years ago

That looks really pretty. Great job on mosaicing - nice design, neat work - can't help but be beautiful when grouted.

• Roberta.Madison
    10 years ago

Hi Julie, hope you don't mind my saying so -- that backsplash is a killer! It looked great on the bench but does so much more now on the wall. I bet it'll stand out even more when you add that black grout. It's great to look at!

• julie10059
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Roberta, I still havn't grouted it all, just some of the black, but will be very soon, (life happened, you know how it is:)) as soon as I have it done I will post again

• julie10059
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grouted today, still wet in the pic, I decided to just use a neutral color grout on everything except the black tess where I did the black grout. I am not experienced enough yet to do to much with colored grout :/
    I like the colored pottery shards, that was 2 old ugly lamps I found at a thrift store

• fldirt
    10 years ago

Beautiful! You did a great job & it really stands out above your sink. Well done!

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

It really looks great with your wall color. Great job!!!

This post was edited by crafty_lady on Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 16:50

• texaswild
    10 years ago

It surely doesn't look like a person w/little experience did this beautiful mosaic. Looks like you've had a LOT of experience. BEAUTIFUL job. What's next?

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

lovely, I like your grout choices! it looks fantastic

• julie10059
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you ladies, honestly, I have just been doing this in the last few months, I have never done it prior to that & have made a total of 2 pots, 1 owl wall art thingy', an outdoor table for our patio,1 garden rock which is not finished yet & the backsplash. I am going to do a small bench for our bathroom next. I really really love doing mosaic & appreciate all the help & praise

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

That's a very cute owl! As you have discovered, mosaics are very addicting! LOL

• julie10059
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is very addictive crafty, I have to stop looking for china & actually get to some mosaicing or I won't have any space left in my studio!

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

LOVE the owl!!!!

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone