Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellow_rose

GOG window done - different technique

yellow-rose
16 years ago

I've finished my window and as promised here is a different techniqe. hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_mosaic/article/0,,HGTV_3258_2219550,00.html

There are a few things I will add. I tape the pattern to my work surface and then the contact is taped over that. This holds it down if I put the glass back up, recut and reposition. Be sure you check the base glass against the cut glass for size. If you don't have a grinder, you can't recut it! You can grind after it is grouted. The best part is to use a 1/16" notched trowel for the silicone, this puts on t

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

he right amount, little to no cleaning! After it is glued, slide it onto something flat, turn it over and press the glass down. Be sure to wait till dry to remove contact paper. Here is the wip and the finished window. Hope this help some and give you some new ideas!!

Sorry it screwed up - haven't got the time to fix it.

Comments (20)

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Like an indirect method for GOG?

Very nice window!!

Maria

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

That's lovely.

I'm partial to grout so it's not for me but I'm glad you like it!

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Very very pretty. Great job.

• meadel
    16 years ago

It's beautiful!
    Lori

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

I like it but the link you gave didnt take me to where you wanted it to go. Can you re-post it? It said something about request not found.

Im not quite sure how you did it, I didnt understand what you added but it looks really great!

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

Its very beautiful, but I couldnt get on the link either. Didnt quite understand how you did it.
    Bianchi

• yellow-rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry about all of the confusion. I couldn't copy both the web site and the pics. And DH was wanting to leave. Shrty, this could be the indirect method. I don't know what it is called. M.Wench, this project was grounted it is a greenish color. The picture doesn't show it but the butterflys and hummers are iridized. I hope after you see the directions, then my added notes will make more sence. Let me know if you have any more questons. I'll try not to add more confusion. http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_mosaics/article/0,,HGTV_3258_2219550,00.html

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Thanks for that Yellow! It is the indirect method but I don't understand why they list a removable glass, indirect can be done more easily on a vertical surface than direct application.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

WOW Yellow this is one of the most BEAUTIFUL windows I have ever seen. I did try to post to you earlier and could not get the link then could not get my post to go through and gave up. So glad I came back. You did a wonderful job and I love the light green grout.

Chris

• texaswild
    16 years ago

What a perfect job you did w/this project - so neatly put together. I remember seeing that episode on HGTV, and she made it look sooooooo easy. Some day I hope to try the indirect method. No way could I make such perfect puzzle pieces. BEAUTIFUL. Where w/you display this window?

• yellow-rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I thank all of you for your nice comments.I took another pic of it in direct light to show the iridized glass on the hummers. That really makes it sparkle. And I'm so glad the site is getting you where you need to be. Slow, I'd hang this on a wall. It will show better with light bouncing off of it than coming through it. I can't figure out how you guys apply your silicone the direct way. The last window I did was a pain in the rear, appling the silicome to each little piece of glass. But it was a more tepicle mosaic.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

I'll be damned - it IS grouted!

Thanks for clarifying.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

DOH!!! I got caught up in the method end and didn't remark on the project... I'm an idiot and that is BEAUTIFUL!!! nice work Yellow, very pretty.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Rose, what a perfect job of placing your garden of flowers in those panes. BEAUTIFUL window!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Thanks Yeller for that link! I can get lost on HGTV with all the mosaic projects and etc.!
    I really like your window. It looks more like a copperfoil window with the precision grout spacing. Very nice job of cutting! I LOVE the glass on the hummers.
    Beautiful art piece!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Very nice! I understood better after I read the link. Something still isn't clicking though...what does this mean?:
    >>>Be sure you check the base glass against the cut glass for size. If you don't have a grinder, you can't recut it! You can grind after it is grouted.Do you mean along the edges? I really like the idea of a 1/16" trowel. I could have used one (better yet 1/32" I think )for my coffee table project, instead of just spreading the silicone with a toothpick, which still left it too thick. 'Course, I'd have needed a trowel about a half-inch across is all since I could only lay about two square inches at a time before the silicone started to skin over.

Blah, blah, blah. Sorry. I like your window!

• very_vintage
    16 years ago

Hi Yellow,

I love your window, it looks like real leadlight. I was just wondering exactly how you apply the silicone and does it look the same on the other side? Can this method work for larger panels? Do you get much silicone seepage or grout seepage under the glass?
    Sorry for all the questions!

Renee

• yellow-rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the nice complements!
    Lady, what I was trying to say is to check the size of the glass against the pattern piece before glueing it. I didn't once (I learn fast) and I had to grind the edges after to make it fit the frame. The 1/16' trowel is the trick! Anything smaller, there isn't enough contact, larger and you're cleaning out grout lines. And doing it all at once eleminates that skin!

Vintage, questions are how we learn! I know I've asked some dumb ones. I apply the silicone with a trowel. The 2nd picture shows the back, you can see the trowel lines. I did them in a swirl to look like texture through the clear glass (which is purple). You can see this in the 1st picture. The lines don't show on opaque glass. Yes, you can use this for larger panels because you set the clear glass on over the stained glass. Very seldom do I get seepage. My grout is quite dry. And I don't RUB in it. It's like cooky dough. I hope this helps.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Yellow, Your explanation makes perfect sense now thank you!! I might have to try the indirect method like this on my first gog..that is when I actually get to do one.

Your window turned out so lovely, I just love it!!!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Thanks so much, I do understand perfectly now! Thanks also for the tip not to go shallower than 1/16".

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County