Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I leave stuff outside if covered year round?

Posted by phish (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 11:21

I've made some outdoor mosaic pieces but I use mosaic glue from the craft store (not the weldbond, geII stuff everyone discusses here that I don't understand). So I generally keep my stuff outside in the summer and bring it in in the winter. There is one piece I would like to keep outside year round, and would keep it on a covered porch. Do you think it would survive? When stuff is outside, is it the cold or the rain that damages it? (if just rain, that wouldn't be an issue if it was covered)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I leave stuff outside if covered year round?

What is it made of, and where do you live? I've had a mirror that I made on plywood about six yrs. ago - hanging on my front porch, so it's sorta protected. It's still in good shape. Also have a cedar post - my backyard pedestal w/the turbine on top that's been outside about the same length of time. On the mirror, I don't remember what adhesive I used. On the pedestal I used thinset. I did have to re-grout the pedestal last fall - was showing cracks. Eventually it'll fall apart, but so far so good. Yours depends on the substrate and where you live. I live in E TX, where the weather isn't extreme - excepting last winter!!!!! Was awful. I did lose a terra cotta planter - was partially mosaiced. Other than that, things go through the winter here pretty safely.

o
It is made of ceramic

and I live in Michigan. So the elements are somewhat tough (at least compared to Texas) but so is the substrate. I guess I could try it for a while and keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

o

Help. Can I leave a stained glass mosaic? to hang outside in winter. The stained glass are:
1) glued on double thermal pane window
2) with Marine glue for outside
3) using outside grout (that is used on outside ceramic tiles)

o

Anne05, I'm going to say "probably." It should be okay.

o

I would think a major problem in Michigan or other cold places would be water getting in cracks in grout or under tiles, freezing, and breaking up the mosaic. Longer it's out there, the more likely to happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here