Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Birdbath

Posted by silvamae (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 10:50

Hi all. I'm starting my first birdbath and suggestions, warnings, comments, welcome! I am planning to piece the base together with three objects, and glue those objects together using thinset. The base of each object nestles nicely and fits well into the adjoining object. This is the technique I used on the glass totem I made last year. Using Mapei Ultraflex 2 with polymer mortar as the adhesive. Is this going to work? Any cautions? This baby will be outside all winter. The tess is from broken plates, thick and not as hard as porcelain, all made in Italy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Birdbath

Looks great to me .I have done one like that I used a terry cotta pot but I did coat it inside with thset .I do not know if it really mattered are not but it has been out side for about 4 or more years and you know where I live .The plate I set in the middle did break but the rest is good.I think it is a good idea not mosaic the in side .[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/nana7/mosaic/birthbath003.jpg[/IMG]

o

Okay, I'm worried about the plate that I intend to use as the base. It's "freezer to oven dishwasher safe made in Japan" and I'm going to take a chance on it. I will coat the terra cotta pot part of it with thinset as you did.

o

Ooooooooh - that's gonna be fun to watch. SILVA: All I can tell you about terra cotta is beware. Do as NANA says and coat that sucker as much as possible w/the Ultra Flex inside and out. I know your climate, and wish you well. I've had a loss here on two terra cotta pots. My birdbath in the back yard - Matilda - that I made from pots has stood up all except the bowl. It's still intact, but the outside of the saucer, where I didn't mosaic, fell off. All that's holding it together is the mosaic on the inside. Every year, I think I'll slap on some thinset and mosaic the outside, but never get to it. I think if you coat the inside - or heck, why doncha fill it w/concrete - it'll hold your tess on the outside and not break apart. You bowls w/probably be ok. On my first walkway mosaic, I used some crummy, chalky dishes, and that crazy mosaic hasn't lost a tile, and we had a bad winter last year. Anxious to watch your WIP. NANA - I love your birdbath - so cute.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here