Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Box

Posted by slowmedown (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 11, 10 at 10:35

Inspired by Waschbear, an artist on Flickr, and w/her permission to post, I copied her concept for mosaicing a box in all white tess. Her work is soooooo beautiful, and I wanted to try her technique of push/squish. Didn't get the flow right, but I'm sorta happy w/the results. W/have been much better had I had white mortar on hand, but all I had was grey. This started out being HARD, but I slept on it, and the next day, I thoroughly enjoyed the process. I plan to mo a tissue holder and vase to make a set of three pieces.
White Box

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Box

I LOVE IT!! Lots of beauty for the eyes!~

o

So Dainty Slow!!! Me and Richard sure love our set you sent me!!! I get compliments on it all the time!

o

Well hey, CALAM: Been wondering where the hay you have been. Thank you both.

o

I love it slow! I too am a fan of Waschbear boxes, she just has the knack for those, and so do you!

o

Lovely; quite elegant.

o

Thanks, y'all. I'm anxious to do more of this no-grout technique.

o

Absolutely beautiful. I gotta try that no-grout thing. It sure looks good

o

A threesome. I'm convinced that I'll NEVER get as good at this technique as Waschbear, but it was fun trying. Thinking I'll go back to colors, but try the push/squoosh method. I like that when you put the last piece on, it's finished!!!
White box, vase, mirror

o

I love this !!!!

o

Ok...push/squoosh....did you use thinkset for these? DAH....ME!! Really beautiful.....

o

Gorgeous! I've never seen anything like them. Can't wait to see the color ones that you make.
Can you tell me where the technique (materials? etc) is described? My craft group could use an exciting new project.
tia
Kathy

o

Thanks, y'all. GYPSY - yes - thinset. CONCRETE: The technique - well I don't know where it might be described, but I do know that lots of mosaicists use it. I used thinset - Mapei Ultra Flex II as the adhesive, and the technique is to put a good amount in a small area, and just push the tess into it so it comes up around the tess, thereby self-grouting. Any little spots that have too much mortar, just push something small into it to fill up the interstices a bit. I haven't tried this yet w/my color madness, but w/on my next garden project - w/save the frustration of grouting hard and textured areas. Try it on a small piece first. My problem was getting a nice andamento, which I never achieved. W/take me lots of practicing. FLAG used this method recently, I know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here