Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseandfox

Tool tip and finishing question

roseandfox
15 years ago

Tool tip: I "buffed" yet another grozier to uselessness, so I whined to HH (handy hubby). Being a packrat, I have several hanging around (groziers, NOT HHs...) so HH took the oldest one and ground it down to the fresh grooves. He kept a small bucket of cold water handy for tempering. The plyers a good as new! Yippee -- saved $$$. Looks like they could be ground down several times.

Finishing question: Have not decided on the front edge of the frogbath countertop. HH suggest a hardwood (cherry) edging, like he made for my kitchen counters, BUT the cabinets are painted (frog/pond design of course)so the wood would look odd. - Don't like painting the front edge, paint scrapes off? - What is your experience with mosaic-ing the front? HH is worried that the pieces would pull off. This sink will be used, as it also serves as my laundry room. But we're "easy" on stuff...

This is what happens when you jump into a project w/o thinking, ha! -- But that's the fun of it.

Comments (4)

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Hey, Fox. Professional tilers have been tiling the front of countertops for years in nearly every kitchen and bath prior to the popularity of granite and other materials. I think it would be important to not have much variation at all in the thickness of the pieces (to avoid pulling them off), so you might want to buy one type and thickness of a professional tile, and then grout really well so you have no edges. You could play with the tile colors and lengths (maybe a stripey look?) to pull it all together with your mosaic I think. Good luck in your decision! It'll be fun to see this finished!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

OH OH OH!! A HH!!! How jealous I am!!! lol! (Mine is sorta handy...just has be be dragged/nagged kicking and screaming...lol!)I would just continue with the glass on the edge...just my idea. WOW! I just can't believe how wonderful that would be to just get DH to grind new "teeth" ...or fix anything like that! Reminds me of My Dear Ol' Dad! He was like that too...I guess thats why it's so frustrating to have DH not be like that! My Dad was a genius and my best friend...so I guess it's hard to fill boots like that!lol!

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

Fox- I have to agree with the rest here and tell you to continue the glass to the front of the countertop and then grout as normal. I think this will hold up for you as well as anything and look the best too. Looking beautiful.. I love it.

• roseandfox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the good info!! I think I'll do a sample piece first, just to see for myself how it goes.

*Clarification on groziers*: these are the flat-jawed kind, about 1/4" wide, soft metal (Knipex), the grinding trick wouldn't work with the curved braker/grozier combo...

Calamity: I know what you mean. I grew up with handy men (father, grandfather). They fixed/built everything themselves and the women helped. I assumed that's how everybody did it. So I lucked out big time when I got married!! It was quite a while later that I found out not everybody had a HH -- We have been working together for 46 yrs now - I am indeed lucky.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County