Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nugentcn

painting over stained glass with another color

nugentcn
12 years ago

I ordered some pendant lights that claimed to have a border of "dark red" around the bottom. Now I've received them and there is no red in them to be found. The border around the bottom is a yellowish brown or amber. Unfortunately they cannot be returned. So I want to buy some stained glass paint and paint over this amber so that the result when light shines through will be in the red family. I'd be happy with even a rust or terra cotta color and don't need a bright jewel-toned red (I kind of don't want a bright jewel-toned red). Can this be done?

I've looked at the stained glass paints at Michael's but don't know the best type for my application. Also, is the end result a product of the paint color plus the amber, or does the paint color just completely take over? Thanks for your help.

Comments (7)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I think it would probably combine with the amber, unless it is opaque. If its opaque the light wouldn't shine through.

I've been playing with pebeo 150 paints that you apply and then bake in the oven. You can't take it off after its baked, but they seem to look the same after, so you could experiment and not cook it until you get the right look. That is assuming you can take the glass part off to bake it. Some of the pebeos are opaque. They have an O after the number or something. None of mine are opaque, but that was just good luck since I didn't know the system when I bought them.

What ever paint you use, think about what color plus amber (yellow) equals the color you want and try to buy 0r mix that color.

Also you can paint on the inside and the outside to help neutralize the amber if you need to.

Calamity is right, just grab some paint and go for it!

Good luck. Have fun and report back!

Kathy

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

sounds like a plan, however red being primary can't be made so all you can do it paint red over the amber and just get a more reddish orange. The bake on glass paints don't have to be baked on, they will cure in a period of 30 days or so...

• nugentcn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Reporting back...

I used Delta PermEnamel Transparent Glass Paint in red. It came out of the bottle looking more like a fuschia, but combined with the amber it looks like a red. The pieces I was painting over had a rippled texture, and the paint tended to pool into the valleys of the ripple and not stick to the peaks, which means that the high points still have the amber look when light shines through. I'm not sure why this is... I cleaned it and also used the surface conditioner. Perhaps it's just not a real glass and is maybe some sort of plastic. It seemed to adhere pretty well to the valleys, though. This effect with both the amber and red seems to make it have more of a swirled glass look, which is fine with me. I'm fairly happy with the result. Thanks for the help!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Success is such a sweet thing. Glad you had it w/your project. We'd sure like to see some pictures, please.

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

glad you liked it and yeah that fushia color was probably your best bet for the combination

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Do post a picture!
    Kathy

Sponsored