Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grouted Stained Glass Window Over Head

Posted by addiesue (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 27, 08 at 1:45

Has anyone ever used a grouted stained glass window overhead before? Is there a danger to it? I use silicone to adhere my glass but am afraid the summer sun will heat up the silicone and make the glass fall out if I use it overhead. I want to do a mosaic on glass and mount the windows over my patio. What do you think?

Addiesue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grouted Stained Glass Window Over Head

Sounds like it would make for a beautiful extention to your patio. This is a ? for the experts. I'm still learning. I'm sure you will find the info you need here. Good luck.

o

Maybe add another layer of clear glass as a protective covering / barrier?

o

I am going to do my first glass on glass this winter to add some art to an oval widow up high in my living room. When was the last time you saw silcone melting in the sun?
Ive never used silicone. I use wellbond for everything I do. I dont think any of the commonly used cements will be effected by summer sun.

o

Clear outdoor silicone adhesive, that's the ticket!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here