Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to light stained glass from behind, in a ceiling?

Posted by beemer (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 22, 10 at 0:10

I will need to remove a skylight from my home. The skylight will be removed and sheathed over. Currently, it shines down in the middle of an aged knotty pine cathedral ceiling. Needless to say, I would not be able to get wood to match it to patch it.

My husband suggested a stained glass insert with some sort of back lighting. What do you think may work? Rope lights? Flouresent? We would inset it with a contrasting wooden frame.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to light stained glass from behind, in a ceiling?

The idea of a stained glass insert sounds wonderful. Have no idea on the lighting.

o

light boxes that are used in the design and manufacture of stained glass panels-to assist with cutting glass etc-utilize flourescent lights and a reflective white background. do a google search for those. Also-radiologists in the old days before digital, LOL, used light boxes to view xray films on.
I would think that would be the best way to provide bright even light for the SG panel.
You might also look for museums that display SG panels and see how they do it.

o

Sounds like a fab idea!!!!

o

beemer, when we did our remodel, I found the lighting forum here on GW to be very helpful, they really have some experts over there, and they directed me to some excellent resources &'d have not known of otherwise.

The stained glass sounds like a great solution to your problem!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here