Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Flower Power

Calamity_J
12 years ago

So just got a pc of wedi board cut and had bought this ceramic coffee cup creation at the thrift store, then the same day found a Italian ceramic flower nic nack all chipped up, but something drew me to it...the colors?...then when I put it next to the ceramic coffee thing...I KNEW! These were meant to be together!!!!

I am disappointed that I can't seem to cut the tiles I want to use, into 1 inch squares, the tile cutter tool I am using is bunk. grrr, I don't have time to set up my crappy little tile saw, it will have to be done tho, as I want a border of 2 colors and will need to cut with the saw....I work 9-9 tomorrow, bummer! But I like it so far....

Comments (31)

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Well hallalujah - CALAM is back to creating. How SWEET it is - the project and to see you on here again. Love it, Janeybo. I keep my saw outside all the time now, and just have to drag the 100-ft. extension cord to it, and am ready to saw away. Have used it several times on the bench already.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I bought that dragonfly at That place near yours, I am going to use scrap wedi to build a berm up where the flowers are...making it even more 3D! Cindy gave me some of those wedi board hangers, so I gotta do that first!

• cathyscache
    12 years ago

It's going to be amazing!!! Can't wait to see it finished!!

• emtnest
    12 years ago

Go Janie Go, Go Janie Go!!!!

• fldirt
    12 years ago

This will be awesome...can't wait!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey! So I got the wedi board clips on today and got the main part mortared on...including building the berm so it is more 3d....it is 18"wide x 24tall...I tell ya, it FEELS GOOD to be creating again!!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

CALAM: It's gonna be a beautiful work of art, I can tell. What do you mean "building the berm". Do you mean filling in w/mortar around all the edges? Where do you get those Weidi board clips - not that I'm gonna get W board, but could those be used on cement board? I remember NT uses a handmade clip for cement board, but those pictured here look great. I'm so glad you're back into the creating again. Don't know what to do w/myself when I'm idle. Going down to Janice's place today to see what all she has collected of Carol's for a yard sale next weekend.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Slow: I used mortar to build up with scrap pcs of wedi board, a strip in the middle of where the flowers are placed, added height for the center flowers, so the bouquet has a more 3d effect. The cup is bowed out too so it is great! You know me and my 3d...just can't have a FLAT surface!ha! Just checked it this morning and the flowers have held! I was a bit concerned since the stems are kinda like posts, but what I did was poked holes in the wedi board as needed for certain stems as another stabilizing effect. So I am enjoying doing this new and different pc, cuz I am using/doing unique(to me) things. I did want to say that this pc is inspired by my trip to Slow's place, She has a jewelery box in her main bathroom that has been decorated with flowers and I so enjoyed it while I was there(It was empty so I put my stuff in it while I was there!)Plus it reminds me of a morning ritual of grabbing a cup of coffee and walking around looking at the garden!!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh Ya, about those clips, Klinger ordered them from somewhere, I have another set of them left, but after that I will use just wire pressed into and thru the wedi board, since that would be super cheap to do. I looked up wedi board and mosaics and found a link that shows how it is done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wedi Board clips

• texaswild
    12 years ago

I'm real anxious to see the background on this piece. Huuuuuuury.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So most of background is done...justa few little details left and grouting, maybe 2 colors of grout, as I want the background of the flowers to be green. I like the mirror, but not happy with the tile yet. May need to add ball chain/etc, but gotta let it sit for now and set up.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

OMGosh, CALAM: It's BEAUTIFUL, and w/the pink tile it gives it a charming girlie feel. I love the tile. Do you mean you'd add ball chain around the little square pink ones? Now that w/REALLY sweeten the pot. Ohhhhhhh yes!!! And just where is this little number gonna hang? BTW - that jewelry box you mentioned was posted on this site. It's in my "Inside Mosaics" album. The technique was inspired by Waschbear on Flickr, using the push/sqush method - no grouting. I asked her permission to try to duplicate her beautiful "White Box" in her album. That lady has the technique mastered, and produces the most beautiful boxes I've ever seen.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

What a stunning piece! Amazing.

Someone makes their own wedi hangers out of washers and wire. I thought it was on this forum but I don't remembre.
    Kathy

• texaswild
    12 years ago

It was NT. I think she custs plastic for putting behind the washers.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

I am so loving this !!! I have a lot of those flowers gives me a idea Ha!!!!

• silvamae
    12 years ago

I love it. I am going to copy this idea, okay? Wow it is going to be gorgeous. Wonderful choice of colors and background.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I wasn't happy with it yet cuz of the top and bottom of the border had thos 2 broken tiles...so I added some blue tile to accent the pc and am now happy with it again. I plan to grout tomorrow...Slow and Calamity's grout day!lol! And then finish it off with some more accent stuff?maybe? We'll see....

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

dang thats gorgeous! you and your flower collection... I'm so jealous! lol

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I used green grout as background for the flowers and leaves, and blue grout for the rest, again, it has to dry to see the true grout color, then I'll see how and if I want to finish it/embelish it.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

That is so dang pretty I want to do one!!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

What NANA said. It is amazing how your ideas unfurl and become such wonderful art pieces. Where w/you hang this one? Truly, JANEY, it is lovely. It doesn't need anything else. It looks huge. What's the size?

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

AWESOME! the blue tiles really pulled it all together too, made the cup relate to the whole. dang it this is beautiful Jane!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Incredible. I so enjoy seeing the colored grout too. I have grout coloring but haven't dared to use it yet. Mirror and blue really go together, but I wouldn't ahve thought of it.

The green is perfect for the flowers.

Love it.

Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I never see flowers like that at TSs or yard sales!
    I'm so jealous.
    Kathy

• coppertop367
    12 years ago

that is beautiful!! have you got a new pic of it embellished??

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Coppertop!!! So Great to hear from you again!!! No I haven't added the rest yet. Debating on if I have enough ballchain..in the color I want...may have to do some painting. Like the song: I been working on the baalll chainnn,,,all the live long day...

• coppertop367
    12 years ago

Thanks for remembering me Calamity! Make sure you keep posting updated pics of this wonderful piece of art!

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

THAT IS AMAZING !!!!! My jaw dropped open !!! I never saw such a great 3-D piece ! The nosey crafter in me wants to know what you did behind the flowers --- did you get grout behind them somehow ?

Oh geeze ....... now you made me want to do
    something 3-D !!! That'll be next on my list after the clydesdales :)

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy, I built a berm up so to speak, using scraps of wedi board and mortar, them used a baggy with grout to further cement it all in. that is how they actuallymake those fine porcaline flower bowls, it is set in a bed of mortar!

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

So that's how !!! The old baggie with the hole in it trick :) That's how you got the flowers so close together ,too. I don't know why I didn't think of that.
    DUH ! LOL Sometimes the simpleist solution is right in front of my face. Thank you !!!

• cathyscache
    12 years ago

Wow I love it!!! I like the 3d too!! Great job!!

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals