Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellow_rose

Where do most of you buy your glass?

yellow-rose
16 years ago

Which do you prefer your local dealer, or online? Any perticular retailer? I'm going to need an ruby color, not sure if I should order from my dealer or go online.

Comments (18)

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Ordering online is cheaper for me than my local dealer ordering it for me. Mosaics by Maria is one of my favorites.
    She offers free shipping for over $60 too.

Hazie

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

I like Delphi but price is good at Alpine. WC is great prices but they don't give a description just a number - no use to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: alpine

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I'm a little over 1 hr away from Delphi, so I save on shipping by going there when I can. If I can't get there and need something specific, I order from them or Mosaics by Maria

Maria

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Maria - I'd go absolutely BROKE if I lived that close to Delphi! Most of my glass comes from Hobby Lobby on their 40% off coupons and from a very small local shop. She's been doing leaded stained glass for many years,has loads of scrap and a pretty good selection. If I'm really feeling "strong" I go to a VERY nice shop about an hour away from me...they've got everything under the sun, so I have to be in a fairly resistant mood before I go so I don't wipe out the bank account!

Pat

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

I've never purchased SHEETS of glass online because of the high cost of shipping and because I want to see it before buying. Most of mine has come from Hobby Lobby w/40% off coupon and a stained glass shop less than 2 hours from me. I try to order cut glass and tiles from those who offer free shipping, like Mosaics by Maria and Mosaic Tile Arts.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Delphi mostly.

• ba1je
    16 years ago

scrap glass from 3 shops -each one about 45min away. rarely i buy sheets by the square foot from them .....barb

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Local glass shop. Great people who are always willing to offer advice, help and a smile. Beth & Charlotte are the owners. The other co-owner Les passed away a few months ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: M&M

• icheer
    16 years ago

Hobby Lobby has their glass 25% off this week and they also have a 40% off coupon for anything in the store.

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

I LOVE my local glass store ( My friend's store ) for unusual glass . For regular stuff - I go to Hob. Lob.
    Here's a link to her glass store ~

Here is a link that might be useful: Heart's Desire Glassworks

• yellow-rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! Next time we go to Cal. I'll find a Hob. Lob.

• yvonne_tpi
    16 years ago

At this time of year your dealer would not be worth his/her salt if there is no red on the shelves for Christmas goodies.
    I never order online, like RT I like to see what I'm getting, even if it means going to the wholesaler, hand picking and delivering it to the dealer to pay!
    If Cal is CA. Hobby Lobby haven't got there yet!

• mosaicjack
    15 years ago

Hi,
    My favorite place to buy stained glass tiles is at:
    PIECES OF ME MOSAICS. It is an ebay store witch has a huge selection of tiles. I personally love the selection of tumbled tiles. Only ones I have every found. I included the link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pieces of Me Mosaics

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Tiles are one thing, glass is whole new ball of wax!
    1/2 the stuff I get online is not opaque enough to to use,
    I have to set it aside for stained glass projects. I NEVER
    BUY GLASS PACKS NOW!!!. It's actually worth the gas price
    to see the glass in person!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

There are 5 glass shops on this island...talk about heaven!!! And I have bought glass from the buysellandtrade newspaper(published weekly) from people getting rid of their glass and supplies. Also one of the stores has an anniversary sale every sept(my b-day month,wink!) that is 30% off, with door prizes and free lectures...niiiiccceee!!!

• kittyjhg
    15 years ago

I have to get precut shapes so I have used ebay- Mothers Earth Gallery(precut borders & triangles), Mosaic Tile Mania(love their diamond shapes--have both regular store & ebay-greater selection at online store), bluerivermosaic on ebay(got some beautiful tumbled glass-she calls it beachglass--lovely colors), and on Etsy got some petal shapes and some special cut colored petal shapes from Faro along with the glass shards from Glasshack. Hope I didn't offend any of you that cut your own shapes, it's just that I thought this info might be useful to some that cannot cut their shapes. I know it's sometimes higher to buy this way, but if you just wanted to do a few pieces or if your're like me-I go "wholehog" into anything!- it might be useful infro.
    Jeanette from MS

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Tile Shapes I've Found

• siriusmosaics
    15 years ago

I actually like to buy my online from Stallings Stained Glass and Glass Crafters. You get bigger pieces, not as expensive as Delphi and shipping is a lot cheaper.

• joyy
    15 years ago

we have a couple of stained glass stores nearby. i usually buy scraps of glass rather than sheets. i've ordered a couple of things from ebay and from delphi, too.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations