Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do you buy vitreous and/or ceramic tiles?

Posted by loribee2 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 21:43

I thought there was a thread on this already, but when I looked, it seemed to be directed at stained glass.

I'm very disappointed because I thought I found the perfect website (Wholesalers USA) for mosaic tiles. They have a huge variety, really great prices, and even sell inexpensive sample boards. Problem is, they've screwed up my order twice!

Anyone have a website they love for buying tiles? I've seen Wits End recommended before, but they're really expensive. More than double the price I've seen on other sites. Mosaic Basics isn't bad. They've got a good selection at good prices, but I hate that when you add tiles to your "cart", they don't show you a sample of the actual tile. It's nice to be able to see what I've selected without having to copy and paste the images into a Word document or something.

I'd also love a site that gives some good information on their products, like what size and depth the tile is, how many tiles I'm getting, whether they're frost resistant. Some sites give you nothing.

And I guess my ultimate luxury would be someone who sells sample boards on their tiles, if that's not expecting too much! There's a trillion sites out there, but I've yet to find one that has EVERYTHING I'm looking for. Maybe I've just got my expectations too high or I haven't searched far enough?

Recommendations welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do you buy vitreous and/or ceramic tiles?

We have bought lots from this company, Mosaic Mercantile. I don't know how their prices compare, but we had good service and like the product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Mercantile

o

Thanks, Silvamae. That is one of the sites I've been looking at, though they're more expensive than some others.

Do you know what C3 means? I see it being referred to on different sites in ways that presume the viewer knows what it is.

o

LORI: C3 refers to fusion/kiln work. I think the link below w/take you to a very reasonable supplier of the Vit tiles. I used to buy from them. They are not the good Italian Vit - therefore, they don't nip cleanly all the time, but if you don't do a lot of nipping these tiles, they suffice.
Vit tiles

o

Thanks for the lesson! It appears to be a thicker tile, too.

And thanks for the link! I ordered some samples from this company and hope it all works out. They seem to have everything I'm looking for as well as the best prices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here