Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickeemama_gw

Tutorial 4 craftylady morton diamonds

chickeemama
16 years ago

Ok here goes...I am not a teacher but I will try!!!! This will be for a 60 degree diamond.

1. I am assuming you already have your strip of glass cut..if not cut a strip of glass to your desired width. Your bar lock will go into hole 16 on the right side of the cutting bar. To do other angles look on page 5. of your booklet

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

2. You need to cut a piece of scrap off the glass to make your first 60 degree angle. DONT THROW THIS PIECE AWAY. I have marked my piece with a "T" so you can see where the top is.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

3. Now this is the tricky part..turn the piece of scrap over, bring down the cutting gauge on the cutting bar and place the glass as shown. You can now see the "T" through the backside of the glass. Place your Glass stop in the hole closest to the piece of scrap and tighten down so the scrap is sitting against the glass stop and against the cutting gauge. Move cutting gauge back up to top of the cutting bar. Remove piece of scrap glass.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

4. Put your strip of glass back under the cutting bar, with first 60 degree angle facing to the left. Cut your first diamond. If the first diamond placed on the glass strip (sorry no pic for this) is wider adjust the glass stop to the right. If the strip is wider adjust to the left.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I hope this makes it a little clearer!!!!!

Comments (21)

• chickeemama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

For all of you out there..this is a left handed tutorial!!! Sorry I forgot to mention that!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I'm sneaking a peek too! Thanks soooooo much Chick. I'm clipping this for future reference.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

thanks, Lefty Barb is going to have to try and show righty Maria LOL

Maria

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Bless you for doing that Chickee! As I was reading and looking at your photos, I thought "I hope she tells them it's for a lefty" then I found the other thread. Once you do it a few times, it's easy. I'm working on a lazy susan for a SIL who we'll be visiting this weekend. My design will include some kind of diamond, I hope!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

thankyou Chickee, that was very cool as I want one of these one day. But do you now have to break each one off before scoring another? that's kind of a PITA! It's more efficient to do it free hand, doing all the scoring on one whole sheet before breaking... thats a bummer

• chickeemama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice- I know how to do the strips in multiples but as far as the diamonds go I can do one strip at a time then break them apart. I wonder if you could do the speed method with the diamonds??? Maybe I'll use some scrap sheet glass and try...then if it doesnt work I wont care!!!!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

NT - how do you score them free-hand? They go pretty fast one at a time, but it sure w/be nice to score a whole sheet like I do the squares, but I haven't studied how to do it and make them perfect. Do you use a ruler and marker?

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

I just do a series of straight lines then turn it and do approx 60 degree lines. No I don't measure, just move a straight edge along by eyeballing.

But man I want one of these systems... should I start hinting for Christmas now? LOL

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

I think I'm going to put it on the top of my list too.
    Thanks for the tutorial Chickee!

Hazie

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU CHICKEE!!!!! I'm going to print the pics and try it out. I did kinda follow this a bit but what stumped me was when I had to set up the bar lock for a 60 degree angle. I looked at those stupid pictures and couldn't figure it out. I'm looking at the mat thinking why the heck did we mark all these numbers on here if they just don't tell you move the bar lock to hole 16. To me, that would be SO much easier! In the instructions it says the system was designed by a left hander and he feels the only thing you actually need to do on the left side is cut strips. Then everything else is done on the right. Do you agree with that? Also, why DID we mark all these numbers on the grid?

Don't worry Maria, once I get this figured out, I'm showing Colleen and if she gets it, then you should too! LOL

Barb

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Thank you Chickee...I did it! I can cut strips, squares, one triangle at a time and then cut that triangle in half. I cut 60 & 45 degree diamonds.

{{!gwi}}

I'm still having trouble with the part about adjusting right or left depending on whether the diamond or the glass strip is wider. My adjusting the glass stop to the right in this case didn't seem to change anything. At least they look like diamonds!!!!
    {{!gwi}}

In regards to the page with the angles in my book it's on page 6 and I'll be darned...they DO tell you what number to put the glass stop in for different angles!!! I do believe that when I saw that page yesterday, my eyes just glossed over cause I didn't know what the heck they were talking about since I hadn't even cut a strip of glass yet! LOL

I'm reading it over again from the begining but I think I'm getting the hang of it! I think I'm even ready to show Colleen how to do it!

Thanks again for your help Chickee!

Barb

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Chickee, THANK YOU! What a wonderful teacher you are! I am a rightie but think I could reverse this and do it. I will try it later this week. We are having N'easter full of rain, rain, rain. The ocean has washed over some of the dunes onto the highway.

• chickeemama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad it worked out...to check the angles on the strip you need to turn the straight edges just like you cut them, on your picture you have the points sticking up turn the diamond just a bit to see if its they same size as your strip. Hopefully that made sense.

I agree that the book was written horribly and I do everything on the left no matter what the book says!!!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Keep practicing Barb LOL!!

Maria

• chickeemama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh I didnt get you to tell you..your diamonds look great!!!!! Love the color you chose to!!!

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Good news Maria, I was able to tell/show Colleen how to do it and she was able to understand it too! I think I'm ready to show you whenever your schedule permits. Let's make plans, okay?

Barb

• shrty411
    16 years ago

LOL I feel another cleaning session coming on!!

Maria

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

Thanks so much, chickee....I've clipped this for future reference. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Thanks Chickee,

I am looking into getting this system. I thought you just ordered the system and now I see there are different pieces to it. AAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH I do not have a clue what to get but I WANT it!!! LOL

Are there certain pieces that are a must? I see the grid and the bar. The stop piece. And I KNOW this is dumb. I assume you are using a hand held glass cutter or is that built into the system too?

d3bbi, The good thing about being a leftie,like I am, is we naturally turn things around because we usually have to see directions done for righties. I looked at the pictures for one second and thought AH these are leftie pictures. GREAT!!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

All the pieces you see come with the portable glass shop system. All you choose is your grid size, maxi or mini. (The grid squares are the same size 1/2", but the overall size is different.) Some retailers offer a package with the grid included, others you'll have to buy it seperate.
    There are also other add-on doo-dads available but I don't have anything else but what came with the PGS. I use the Maxi grid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portable glass shop

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Thanks Bama!! I have it on my to do list to day to get ordered. Gee wonder if I need to call credit card company and let them know I am going to be ordering some STUFF??? Heheheh I hardly ever use it and going to use it big time today. OH BOY!!! Thanks Again Chris

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living