Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyronnie

Guess I'll show you what I'm working on...

ladyronnie
16 years ago

...though I don't like it much yet. I think it's because that cobalt blue, which I love, looks like "girlie hair" right now. Hopefully as I work out the design the rest of the way that will change. I have blue-green glass globs that I plan to put where you can the little x's going around outside the purple, and I plan to use crash glass for the first time as a filler, and I have some other ideas. This is a glass coffee table top, that fits inside a framed wood table top.

Those are my 7 yo DS's hands getting ready to nip some glass. He's working on a rock you can see in the background. I'll show you that too :)

My son's rock:

Ok, it ain't pretty, but he's the only one of my kids even interested in doing what mamma does, so I'm thrilled. (And yeah, I know there are some wicked corners we're gonna have to creatively grout!) Be nice to him :)

Comments (22)

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I'm Jealous!! Wish my DS would hang with me!!! Even tho my DS is 22 this month, I still call him "The Boy" LOL!!!
    That tabletop is nice! I like the pink glass and the cobalt so far.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Alright, RONNIES BACK TO GLASS!!!!! what do you mean girlie hair? the shape? I love those shapes. Always fun to watch your WIPs!!! kudos to the young man!

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

JANIE: Thanks. The pink (I call it purple, but now that you mention it, it does look kinda pink) is growing on me.

NT: Thanks for the encouragement, I need it on this project for some reason. Yep, it's the shape of those blue swirls. I like swirls, and I think these will be better when all four of them are done.

Tonight I completed the pink/purple border, worked a little on the cobalt but found I am short and will have to get more (working with scraps). I also put the blue-green glass globs on, different from my original plan. They are now in a solid row touching the pink all the way around the outside, except for around those celtic corners, so four straight lines of globs. Yeah, I hate grouting globs, but like someone said, I always say I won't use them again, but like the look too much.

DS above is calling, and I'm trying to get them all to bed. 'Night.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Oh, forget about that table top..ITS ALL ABOUT THAT ROCK!!
    It's absolutly gonna be wondrous!! He has tallent. I can see that rock in a museum someday. Veronica will be outside telling people "my son did that mosaic rock inside!!"
    And they'll be like "Suuuurre he did!" And they'll just smile and walk on by....

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Oh bama you are just too funny!!!

Ladyronnie- Im so glad you son will even attempt that!!! It will be dear to your heart forever!!!! Its awesome!!!

Can't wait to see the next wip picture as you have done so much more!!!!!! I love how it is looking and your color choices. Hope ya get up early!!!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well, it's surely nice to see you back at this kind of work, and YOUR SON!!! Yeah!! Where those wicked corners are, just urge him to add more tesserae under/around them to fill in. So glad he is interested, and good for you for inspiring him. Anxious to see your progress. Where did you get the design inspiration?

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I love that cobalt, too! I think when you get more of the deign it'll look less like a 60's hairdo!!

Great rock by DS!!

Maria

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey everybody. I'm feeling a little better about it (the tabletop that is :), still trying to figure out where I'm going with it. (BAMA, you ARE too funny! I'll have to share that with DS. He'll get a kick out of it.) CHICKEE, I WAS up early, but the only thing I did with my glass was get it off the dining room table so the boys could eat brekkie. DH and I went out for coffee and cinnamon rolls. It's our anniversary, #10 on 10-10, so guess this one's a perfect 10 :) SLOW, thanks for suggesting more tessarae on DS's rock. Some globs may cover those pokies nicely. As for my design...hmmm...I knew I wanted a checkered edge (haven't gone there yet)...I thought about a Pennsylvania Dutch kind of design and googled that and came up with plenty, have played with a number of elements but still haven't settled on anything. The swirls...guess I just like swirls. That's where I started on my bathroom vanity and it evolved from there. Oh, I also googled celtic knots, and the corners are a very simple version. The design drawn in the middle came from a stained glass window pattern I saw online somewhere. Don't know if that will actually be in there when I'm done or not. So now you kind of have an idea how I "plan" this stuff. How loosely I use that term!!!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! Bless Your Family!! I think I'd be happily married too, if I had a DH who laid tile so well!(LOL)!
    Now about that rock, I'd be inclined to "nip" overhangs and the 1/2 marble idea is good too! ( I admit, I used to wait till the kids went to bed, and "redid" bits of the Chrismas tree!lol!)

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

What??? You were a tree re-doer? GASP!
    LR, your table top is looking good. Sounds like you have a general direction to go. I like the swirls too, and cobalt's one of my favorite colors.
    Can't wait to see more!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

ladyronnie- well happy anniversary to you!!! Ya I guess as a busy mom you would be up early but not to work on the project!! My bad!! I forget how busy moms really are now that we are an empty nester!!!

Still can't wait to see the progress that you have gotten done though cause I really like it!!

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY RONNIE!!!!!

I'm liking your cobalt blue swirls!

Barb

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Happy Anniversary, Ronnie & Ronnie's DH! Wishing you many, many more years of wedded bliss!

Pat

• shrty411
    16 years ago

MAria

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

A belated HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Ronnie!

Crafty Shrty: I NEED to know how to add those animations! I am SO computer stoooooopid most of the time.

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Rosemary, you need to be on Internet Explorer and then download Smiley Central to your toolbar. This is the way it works for me...When you want to add a smilie to your post, find the one you want, click on it, and then a message will appear that says OOPS...click on #2 and then click the button to copy the HTML, I also have to click to allow access to my clipboard, then I use the Ctrl and V and click in my post to insert it. When you do your preview you should see the smilie if you did it right. Let me know if it works for you!

Barb

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Crafty: You mean like this?

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Lemme see if I can do it, too!

IT WORKS!! THANX!
    Pat

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Barb

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

gotta try too

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Wonder if they have something similar for Firefox?

Will go hunt . . .

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

They aren't the same as yours but they have the extension for Firefox!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting