Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

I love those 3D stars

nicethyme
16 years ago

but man they are soo expensive. So a bit of experimenting is in order. I'm not exactly calling this Rianna method cause I REALLY want to make it a single layer (too much sewing) so I'm thinking drywall tape and sprayfoam, then skim coat of crete.

I'm making 7, 5 for the girls to do at the BD party, one for me and one for my little DD (she has to do what the big girls do.

Color suggestions on tesserae welcome... think 10 year olds

{{!gwi}}

Comments (34)

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Those are great! Mind sharing where you found them?

Load up on girly colors! Pink is so hot with them right now.

Hazie

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, I'm making them myself. I studied those metal ones at a store last week, then using a star template found online - I cut out the 5 rays and folded them. Then it was trimming little by little till the fit together again. I used that paper as a pattern for the wire mesh. They're not perfect but I think that's cool. Betting the 10 yr olds will be wishing for a storebought item but this way they get a total original piece of art when they're done.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Wow! Those are great and what a great idea for the girlies!!!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I'd say cram as much color onto them as possible! Give em glass globs, and all your scraps.
    Really neat idea NT!

• livnlife
    16 years ago

Cant wait to see the finished products!
    What fun!
    What's the spray foam for?

• klinger
    16 years ago

Very nice, how big are they? If they aren't too big I doubt you'll need the spray foam .I love those stars too, I have a great big one above my garage door. I put it up and it took my dh about three weeks to even notice it, jeesh.Great project for little uns,
    Cindy

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Neat idea! What about beads?! Pearls, BBs, keys, lots of glass globs. Don't forget the pics!! Such a cool mom!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

livin, hopefully to keep the concrete from falling through when I coat it. I'm trying to avoid making it 2 layers of mesh, so I think fill the void in the back with foam and it becomes part of the armature

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

I retract the bbs. May not want to have to chase those around the house. (And you did curse them once.)LOL.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

I love this idea!! How creative! Im assuming the spray foam is to fill them out and then cover with the drywall tape and skim coat? Take pics of your making them (skim coat, foam etc...) I never have much luck with the spray foam..it just expands to much. But then you can trim it if you wanted with a knife so Im sure it will work great.

Im with bama..give them scraps and glass globs and let em go to town!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cindy I'm guessing they're 10".

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Wow! you made those! great job nice. They are really perfect. Is there anything you can't do?? Speaking of that!
    How are your costumes coming along?

Hazie

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I couldn't sleep so I'm up at this hr. I am soooo impressed w/these. They look so perfect. Another fun project to watch. Everything you do screams talent, artist, and original thinking. How's the mushroom coming?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thankyou. I assure you they are far from perfect. Plugging away at the mushie slowly but slowly LOL

Oh Hazie, you had to mention that! lol yep all the stuff is stitting and waiting for me to get started... I'm running out of time already argh!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

NT, how creative! Can't wait to see this to fruition. Yeah, you need your own business.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

What a cool idea! Those would make great Christmas decorations, too!!

Maria

• livnlife
    16 years ago

AAAHHHHH....how ingenious! (using the foam like that)
    Another fun thing my DH already has that I can now play with!!! LOL! I was wondering what fun things I could do with that stuff!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Love those stars Nice ..you do such neat things...Please show how your doing them as you go,if you have a spare minute to do so LOL...I know how cool they will be coming from you!!!!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Oooo!! Christmas ornaments! Great idea Maria!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So, much to the dismay of my DH - I brought this project on our camping trip! lol

I finish sewing them together, and I had wanted to try the drywall tape on the edges to give them a more "finished" edge, then I stuck a piece inside each ray too, hoping that it would discourage the foam from going through. I think that worked well.

here are the pics, Now I need to go over each one and shave the excess foam off so that I can cement them (must remember to put haging wires on them 1st!!!!)
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

That is just the neatest idea. You must be the coolest mom on the planet!
    When's the big shin-dig?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL ugh "hanging" a hanging wire... sheesh

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

early nov... haven't looked at the calendar yet...

would love to think that my crazy creative side is/was an inspiration to my daughters... that would be the best legacy I could wish for!

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

You must be the coolest mom on the planet!

I agree - those are the coolest things I've seen for awhile!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Great project. Those are going to be something else!!

Maeia

• texaswild
    16 years ago

You're a real piece of work, girlie. What a wonderful Mommy! Anxious to see what the little ones do w/them AND yours.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

WOW!! I love those! Wanna adopt me, even tho you are only young once, you can be immature forever!! lol! Seriously tho, those stars make the little girl inside me scream with delight!!! Good Job!!!

• klinger
    16 years ago

They are looking great, this is such a fun project,
    Cindy

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Gosh nice those are turning out way to cool!! Are you gonna decorate one of them? I know they are for the party but I would have had to make an extra one for myself to do!!!!! I so would be divorced if I took my mosaics on our camping trip!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chickee, absolutely - you know I have to do one for myself! LOL

yesterday I skim coated the stars with crete but I think they'll need another layer as I didn't completely cover the tape in some areas.
    Then today we went over the edges from the back sides to fill gaps where the foam didn't go andmake sure the edges are nice and strong. Yes I did remember to add a wire for hanging! lol
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Those are sooo cool!
    Your imagination is amazing. Really great job..I can't wait to see what the kids do with them. What a great idea. I suggested the girls make something at my daughter's party,
    and she was like " I don't think we will have time for that
    mom" I haven't been able to drag her in to my world much.
    Can't wait for the pics after the party!

Hazie

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

NT, your creativity is endless and your energy level must match it. I can't wait to see the finished product.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Those are so cool! Want to see the in progress pics of all those little girls!!

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Very neatly executed. Soooooo anxious to see them all dressed up, Mommy.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County