Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden rock

Posted by drtdgr (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 19:10

I was inspired by Chris Emmett's rocks to finally make one.

It still needs to be grouted, although the thinset really almost filled it in.

I used contact paper and set the tesserae into the thinset, but just could not wait for the thinset to dry, and almost immediately peeled it off. That's why the thinset looks so pitted.

Can you use just thinset and not grout? Of course, this would be outside.

I was thinking of adding some leaves too - looks a little unfinished to my eye.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden rock

That is cool. I like it a lot and it makes me want to do a rock too. I agree; some green leaves, maybe three, would compliment the pink.

Yes, you can use thinset and not grout. I believe one of our most knowledgeable posters, especially on outdoor stuff, Slowmedown, would use thinset AS grout sometimes. I have used regular grout on outdoor pieces and they are still okay, but I'm pretty sure I remember her saying that using thinset as grout was the surest way of making it permanent.

o

Yay! Thanks, Silva. It really would make the process a lot faster to just use thinset. Susan

o

i love your garden rock! i've been wanting to try one too. yours is great. and i kinda like the rough look of the grout!

o

Thank you, wishdish! I want to make a lot more. I love rocks. I plant to give them for Christmas gifts - I'd better get going on that.

o

Your rock is really pretty. I picked up a few last year to do and they still sit where I piled them.Too many other projects in the works. I need to get some thinset. So far I have only used silicone. I like the look of the dark thinset as grout.

o

Looks great! This too, is on the To Do List!

o

Yes that turned out nice .I want to do one also maybe one of these days!! Yes I use thin set a lot for out door stepping stones.

o

Very pretty!

o

Thanks everyone! I'll post more pics as I make more - Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here