Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Lally - top portion of a full-figured mannequin

texaswild
16 years ago

Thanks, NT, for suggesting I start the mannequin. It's been fun, but I'm switching to another adhesive rather than GE II - hate that stuff. DID discover, w/ROSIE's tip re the steel wool, a better method of removing it. I used a small screwdriver to take off the blobs of silicon when the razor blade just wasn't cutting it. Then I wadded a bit of steel wool under the screwdriver, and rubbed it vigorously. Works like a charm. Also discovered that GE I is absolutely, positively the strongest. When I started out wrong on the right ta ta, as Hazie so elegantly put it, I didn't like it and tried to remove it. NOT a chance w/o wrecking the fiberglass - these things aren't all that heavy duty material, so I had to just leave my mistake. Haven't a clue how I'll do the bottom yet.

Lally

Comments (139)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, y'all really make me happy and smile this morn. Coffee is soooooo good w/these wonderful comments. The white "lacy" (that was my intention - "lace") stuff under the garter is the bottom of the little cover on her left arm. If you go way down in the album, there's a shot that shows the top. I didn't do a very good job of cutting the basket weave stuff, so had to fill in w/the droplets. The "jewels" in the garter are pieces of $General hair barrettes - the droplets are a dismantled Christmas ornament. Yes, NT bisque - it was to hold candles. STONEY - I didn't have a mental image when I started, but I tend to get things too busy and mess up any design I try to highlight. CRAFTY - too funny. Thank y'all for continuing to make me feel better about my work.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

The Queen has spoken again.Holy smoke is Lally smokin !!You know Slow I swear in my Head somewhere I KNEW you would put a garter on her.How did I know that,really I did.Was it my esp working?You are too much for words ,what talent and from the bestest Queen we could ever have.Hail the Queen!!!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Wow, SLOW, she's amazing! Slow AND Lally are amazing, in fact! :)

I'm with CRAFTY, when I read "full-figured" I thought about the same thing. Then I realized, maybe you mean she's a "full-body (minus the head) mannequin". In which case, Omar can stay home!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Almost finished gluing - all except bottoms of feet, and w/have to turn her on her side to get to them. GEESH, I'm tired of this project. I can't WAIT to get finished so I can get back into shards. And, Oh, BTW - I don't like her!!!!!
    Lally Almost Glued

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

LOL... yeah, she's definately a true masterpiece given the fact that you don't like her! LOL you didn't like your vanity either...
    you're so funny Slow.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

What's not to like??? She is absolutly the BEST thing I've ever seen!! You'll probably like her again after you've not seen her for a few days, you'll probably even miss her! What an amazing artist you are and soooooo inspiring for us wannabes!

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Well I just do not know what to say. I can not imagine why you do not like her. She is STUNNING WONDERFUL kind of STUNNING!!! I would be terrified of grouting her like I am about grouting my dresser. EEEEKKKK Gonna be a long day on that day. But you have grouted so many wonderful masterpieces I am sure you can get her done.

EWEEEE Thinking of walking of glass on the bottom of my feet. Poor Lally. She needs golden slippers.

I am sort of wondering how much weight she gained with all the glass you put on her.

She is wonderful!!!

Chris

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

She's a WILD THANG...NOTHANG boring about Lally!!! She is just spectacular Slow.....you gotta love her.....she is a piece of work I tell ya.........a great work of art...."I LOVE LALLY!"

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

SHE'S FABULAS!!!
    I can't believe how great she is. Can there be anything left in your box of treasures? She seems to be adorning
    so many cool things. LOVE HER SLOW!!!

Hazie

• emtnest
    16 years ago

Since you don't like her, pack her up and ship her to me...I would take good care of her and let you visit when you start missing her...she is such a work of art

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Poor unloved LALLY! She needs a new home where she will be showered with adoration, affection, love. I'm coming...soon....be sure to lock your doors...she might be gone before you know it! (but please grout her first!) LOL!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

ROFL! Rosie.

we could ship her aound to each of us can you imagine the cost of THAT! LOL

I want to know how much she's gained in wt too!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

There is nothing boring about this gal! She has so many points of interest, there will be no lag in conversation around her. Beautiful job, Slow!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks a bunch, y'all. I appreciate your uplifting comments. Smarty boots, ROSIE!!! HAZIE - I have TONS of jewels left. I'll probably still be able to pick her up, but the height of the table has be worried, cuz I have to lift her off the stand. May have to call Handy Man. The mannequin really isn't heavy - it's hollow and fiberglass. SHADES - I DO dread grouting this hussy! Some parts w/be done w/a brush and a slurry. Had to use long tweezers to get the pieces in between. It's another grouting nightmare. Probably shouldn't have put that butterfly on her left toe - w/probably take it off first and add later. Just HAD to see what it looked like. I create more problems than I solve. Oh, the shipping - that's one reason I'm glad I don't sell - w/be horrible to have to pack and ship. Thanks again.

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

She could be like those dwarfs that seem to travel around the world........with the red pointed hats and green jackets....or are they gnomes? Your handy man may fall in love with Lally and just carry her off to his handy truck and plop her in the front seat. I'd keep an eagle eye on him...she's a hotty for sure!!!!!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Dagnabit!! Slow you've done an AMAZING job with her. All those patterns, colors, doo-dads etc. She's one gussied up glorified lady...I mean Lally. I know the grouting will be a pain, but da-hannnng, will really pull it all together.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

grouting between... long tweezers????

this is a real visual

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

She is amazing! YOU are amazing to be able to create her! I LOVE all the cute additions... the butterfly... and that heart on her....backside! Grouting may not be fun... but she's gonna be gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!! She already IS!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

I missed the butterfly on the toe so I will have to go back and look after I finish typing. Slow she is just so great. I love how it writhes like its taking on a life of its own, it flows beautifully together. I have been so scared to start mine and keep jumping from one idea to another and just cant make up my mind. Yours is just spectacular in the slowmedown kinda way!!!! No one can ever make one like you do. I cant see why you dont like it but sometimes that is just they way it goes!!! We dont see anything wrong with it, it is fab!!!!!

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

I don't think you need anymore reinforcement....just encouragement............Lally is LOVED...........we all love your creations.............your are the QUEEN.........she is the BOMB............what a great artistic piece of art...........she is great! I wish I had your skills................you are the BEST!!!! the very BEST.............................

• shrty411
    16 years ago

She is so Cool Slow!! Don't envy that grouting job though

Maria

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Coffee still tastes better here. Even w/all your wonderful comments, I think it's just a bunch of jumbled up mixture of glass that says nothing. My conservative Dallas DD says this is her favorite piece. ????? And, OH, BTW - I forgot what grout I used on the top part. I'm always mixing up grouts to make what I want, and for the life of me I can't remember what I used. It LOOKS like pearl grey, but Lowes doesn't have any, and I'm out, so had to buy just plain grey. W/have to mix a little, let it dry and try to match the top. Another reason I dread the grouting today. Thanks anyway, y'all, for you generous comments.

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

every once in a while, there is a project that I 'showcase' and use as the background for my computer screen.
    on the page of her, are the 4 choices, so, a bit ago, I chose the far right picture of Lally....
    well, for some reason, my computer decided not to be specific and center the picture, like it usually does.
    it gives me a choice of 'stretch' or 'center' or the 3rd choice, when there are like a hundred squares across the screen.
    this time it just chose 'stretch' evidently, without giving me a choice...
    well, Lally went from this tall, sleek, slim and elegant long legged lady, to a short, fat, sqatty plus size...
    OMG!....it was like a carnival mirror!
    if you do that to your screen, then you will develop a new love for the work you've put into this project, so I think, for a new appreciation for Lally, Slow, try this...
    you just may see the beauty in what is there, right there, in all of her natural beauty!

;(*_*);

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Grout day!!! Once she's grouted you will love her again! I STILL haven't finished the TP Tower, it's so ugly WITH the grout that I can't stand to look at it!!! I can feel a manniquin project coming on now, I'm glad mine is just the torso! I'm gonna bring a few to-dads to mexico to share with everybody and I know Klinger is plotting too!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again, y'all. Not grouting this afternoon. ROSIE and I spent the morning shopping/lunching, and I need to experiment w/grout and let it dry to try to match the top. Such a dummy for not writing down what I used!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR. Re Mexico, I'm bringing a wooden base cut out in shrine shape to work on. I'll bring some goodies too.

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

As someone who doesn't have to look at her all the time, she is a treat! It's like a big I Spy game. I see tiles and globs and a flowered hoo hoo and some geode slices and....

• annieb43
    16 years ago

This is stunning.
    congrats!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This hussy is D.O.N.E. NEVER again w/I create such a grouting nightmare. I am soooooo sick of this creation. Worked almost all day yesterday just grouting/cleaning the bottom portion. She's in place to STAY. Thank you ANDREA and ANNIEB, and welcome.
    Lally In Place

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

WOOHOO HOO!!!! LOL that hussy RAWKS!!!!! I love her, she's all things woman! LOL

You RAWK sister!

btw is that portrait of you? very nice

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Slow, I think she' just wonderful! There's so much eye candy on her my eyeballs may rot out!! Everytime I look at her there's something else even more spectacular to see. I love Lally!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tnx, NT - yes - that was in 1993 - I sat for my art class right after my DH passed, just b/f I went back to work. Four artists painted my portrait, but this one was more like what I looked like then. Had lots more hair then.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Quadzillion Dawg Snot!!!!!
    I mean she's incredible Slow! Oh Man, just amazing.
    I can't wait to see her in person. BRAVO!!!!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I love the "piano keys" down her leg, they make her look musical! And the "fan-ny" with the heart below, saying "Kiss My Grits!!!" ha! OH to see her in person!!!
    (I keep checking the post box for my "SLOW" original!!!

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

She's amazing, Slow!!! And... I love the placement... with the painting of you as if you are looking at her. Perfect!
    Your mosaic talents are so VERY special. Your work always has surprises to see! I really like her very, VERY much!
    What an awesome project!!!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Wow!!! She is JUST STUNNING!!!! I love her scarf belt..so
    you! I knew as soon as I saw the portrait, that was our Slow! She fits in so perfectly in you wonderfully fun and funky home. Can't wait to see her in person some day.
    She is just WONDERFUL SLOW!!!! People will look at her in pure AWE for years to come. BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!
    So what is next??? Dying to see!

Hazie

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, aren't y'all kind! Thank y'all very much. CALAM: I just don't know what to say!!! I mailed it two weeks last Friday. Since I didn't buy the tracking option, I doubt if the post office could advise me???? It is a very large box - I'd say about 2 1/2 - ft square. I am as sorry as I can be over this delay.

• rchovey
    16 years ago

Words cannot describe it. What an absolute thing of beauty. You should be very proud of yourself.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Oh Slow this turned out so stunning!!! I love it. Wow...words just dont do it justice. Gosh I just adore her!!! The base itself is a work of art. If you described what you did to it I didnt read it or just dont remember it. Gosh Slow....I am speechless!!!

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Wordless-Speechless...(that's a first, huh).........she is just over the top fantastic Slow....She is so fun to look at....would never tire of this...........what a labor......I felt your pain grouting and gluing in between her legs! She is just wonderful. You deserve a 'rita tonight!!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow, that is amazing!!What a work!

Maria

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

WOW Slow!!! Lally turned out so WONDERFUL!!! I could look at her all day. Love the addition of the scarf. So perfect to add even a little MORE sass. You did yourself proud.

You say grouting nightmare because of all the embelishments you added to her?? I am worried about my dresser sides getting around the beads.Wondering if it would be better to use a stiff grout or wet grout??

Chris

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

WOW WOW WOW !!!!!!!!!!!Every one said it for me.

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

Lally is OUTSTANDINGLY BEAUTIFUL & one of a kind! You can look at her many times & keep finding something new or something you missed.

I love the portrait of you.

I don't know how you did all that grouting. Girlee, take a bow on that one. You did great!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My, my. Thank you all for your wonderful, generous compliments. SHADES - don't be afraid to grout your dresser. The only thing I have trouble with in something like your project, is the beads - just be gentle w/your hands, and if you lose some, GEII them back in afterwards. I tend to lose beads when grouting. On Lally, it was between the legs and around the hoo haw flowers. Should have put them on last. In between, had to take the long tweezers and a wet paper rag to wash the grout. I used a dry grout, and started wiping immediately after application. Grouting around the embellishments is no problem at all, unless they're those flowers. I used a brush to wash grout in those areas. I'll be sticking to flat surfaces for a loooooooong time. Thanks again, y'all. You make me smile.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Slow all she needs is your crown,but oh no she doesn't have a head soooo you'll have to keep wearing it my lady.Another masterpiece Slow ,remember I'm driving and have a big car...LOL just joking she belongs with her wonderful creator.Can't wait to oh and ahhh when I see her in person.She is too much for words!!!!!and all the work oh my goodness your really do deserve a big bow and like gypsy said a RITA!!!Love your picture too ,I can speak from experience about the hair too .bad thing about it it doesn't just go from the head LOL I need some of those big orange flowers like lally has LOL Sorry ladies just stating the fact's!

• klinger
    16 years ago

Wow, Slow she is so gorgeous, I love everything about her. There is so much to see and Ii keep rediscovering new beautiful pieces, a true piece of art
    Cindy

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

Love her!!! Every time I look I see something new.

I caught the link title out of the corner of my eye and thought it said Lally in Peace (like RIP, she's done). ;-)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks y'all for more smiles and a LOL at CRACK. You naughty girl. I forgot to answer someone's question re the base. I wanted her on a turntable, so had to use my cruddy one until I can find one. She's on a heavy, round metal base, and I put heart-shaped gold paper doilies over all the crud and placed her on that. Now to look for a large turn table, even though I'm not planning any huge projects in the future.

• tamar_422
    16 years ago

I just love her. I'll take another look at her every few days and find something new that I hadn't discovered before. I think she is amazing, and I just wish I could do something like this! To have that kind of creative talent, I would trade my left arm (I cut, glue and grout with my right ...)

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Slow, send that handy man of yours down to Lowes. He can get the turntable hardware in the cabinet section, and just add a top for you, out of plywood or whatever.
    I made one when I was working on my birdbath. It's worked beautifully.
    BTW: I still think Lally is just incredible!!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional