Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iminmystudio

mosaic water bowl

iminmystudio
14 years ago

After years of trying different mediums I think I have finally found a black grout that won't discolour when it is constantly under water, it seems to be fine but it will take a few weeks before I feel really confident.

This is my first really large water bowl

With water and flowers

My pets love the bowls I have scatterd all over, today was hot and Bella thought this was wonderful.

Lit up at night with floating candles, the photo doesn't show how the light glitters as the candles float around.

Hope the photos work.

I have now gone out and bought a mass of bowls all shapes and sizes, I am going to have a lot of fun!!!

Cheers Deb.

Comments (16)

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Deb, your bowls are very pretty. And the night shots with the lighted candles a beautiful. Whay is the grout that you have found that works with water?

Kat

• cajunlady68
    14 years ago

Your bowls are beautiful, especially the one with the candles. The way it catches the light is fantastic!

• shasta_2008
    14 years ago

I love them, think I'll try to make a birdbath next spring. Must put it on my to do list.

• fiddlekate
    14 years ago

Your water bowl is gorgeous!!!
    Fantastic colors!
    (Love the kitty picture! :)

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

Yes they are very pretty .What kind of bowl are you using

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Beautiful!!!! So is Bella, my Bella is a siamese.

• iminmystudio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys I want to do Koi fish in the bottom of the next one.
    The grout I used is 'kerapoxy epoxy grout made by Mapie', it was a challenge to use, like trying to spread chewing gum and at $120 for 10 kg it better hold up!!
    We have a lot of 'Bali' shops around here and I try to get most of my big cement bowls from them, much cheaper than a landscape shop. I have used terracotta plant pots before and just plugged the draining hole.
    Cheers Deb.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

How utterly enchanting w/the candles. I LOVE candlelight, and am looking for ideas and inspiration. Almost thou persuadeth me to make a bowl. All I can think of, though, is it w/be a mosquito breeding bowl here in TX.

• silvamae
    14 years ago

Beautiful, especially at night with the candles. I have to make one! Slow, we could make them for use indoors as a centerpiece for a party, and for use outdoors also except we would have to empty them the next morning! The mosquitoes are everywhere here after all the recent rain and they are big and mean.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Thanks, SILVA - gonna think on this. I had a large pot saucer, but gave it to FLAG!!!!!!!!!! Dang it - every time I get rid of something, I wish I had it back. W/have to go shopping soon for bowls. Heck, I could even make one from metal lathe!!!!! Addig a wee bit of cholorox w/keep the skeeters out too.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Your bowls are beautiful!!! Great idea!!! I'm gonna have to see if Lowes has that grout here. I need something that will hold up to below zero weather.

• iminmystudio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We get a LOT of mosquitoes here as well, when I water the garden I spash water into the bowls and let them over flow a bit, also I need to change the water every so often otherwise the water will go stagnant.
    Mosaiced terracotta saucers look great lit up as well, actually nearly any thing that you can put water in looks good.

Here are two terracotta saucers lit up.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Just Lovely!!! I have this stuff called aquabac that keeps water clear of mosquito larvae.

• texasfern
    14 years ago

I practically live on my patio, what a great idea but I definately would have to use that antimosquito stuff here in Texas!

• glassyeyed
    14 years ago

Wow! these are gorgeous! two ?s, do you seal the entire bowl first and what do you use to seal it? and do you have to bring them in in the winter? I really want to make some that look like that. they are soooo pretty.

• ans_garden
    14 years ago

I don't know much about outdoor adhesives, but I'm curious why you don't just use thinset for grouting? Does it get discolored when wet? Your bowls (and Bella) are just darling. Love the mini-mosaic centers.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living