Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flagtruck

UPDATE many projects

flagtruck
15 years ago

Here are a few of the projects I have been working on. Mainly repainting the outside of the studio, working on the window frames on the front porch covering them with shards. A chandelier I am working on to hang on the porch. A few frogs and lizards to climb the walls of the studio outside,a reorganization of the outside workspace and reorganization of the inside. I will add some pics of the garage workshop that is now done and ready for tile making. I know it doesn't seem like much, but the windows are very time consuming as I am using a lot of mixed media and will not grout. That's all folks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Many projects

Comments (50)

• pghgardnewbie
    15 years ago

Flag,
    Can I come live with you, pretty please? I can camp out in a corner of your studio and be no trouble at all. :-)
    Seriously, I am in total drool mode looking at all of the materials- it would take me forever to get all that together (with nowhere to put it, either).

Everything looks great, too, and I especially love the frogs- the big toes just make me smile.

Hope the projects go well- I look forward to seeing more!
    Jenny

• klinger
    15 years ago

Wow, everything looks wonderful. I love the colors you chose for your studio,
    Cindy

• texaswild
    15 years ago

What PGH said! One w/have to see her Paradise to appreciate the whole picture. I'm so blessed to have her as a friend. She inspires me more than I can express.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Flag I'm drooling too. I think this is every Mosaicers dream. To have all your wares displayed around you like this to look at, enjoy, and to grab to do the next project. The colors are brilliant. I would have been afraid to use your choice of colors, but you have combined them together perfectly. Congratulations on you new work area.

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

That has to be the most adorable studio I have ever seen!
    What a joy it must be to work in there. You have done such a wonderful job. I can see all the stuff lined up so nicely
    through the windows. To be that organized! It's a mosaic wonderland!

• bamasusanna
    15 years ago

Oh Flag!! You HAVE been busy. I LOVE the new color of your studio!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to you all. It is a lot of fun. My neighbor came over today and told me she liked the fun colors too. I just don't like drab and I am certainly not a beige person so I am sure these will keep me smiling all thru the dull winter months. Everyone is welcome to come here and enjoy. I am going to Slow's tomorrow but won't take my paint. ROFLOL She would probably show me the way to my car...without the paint. She has wonderful colors in her workroom too. Ain't nobody plain in Texas..thanks again you guys. You make all my hard work worth it.

• silvamae
    15 years ago

What a wonderland. I love all the colors and the organization and wow at the window frames. What divine energy and imagination!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

What a great place to create!
    Your right, no plain in Texas!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I am soooo blown away!!! I am gonna be late for work, but I just HAD to look at your album again!!!lol!!!

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

that is terrific, nice working space, wonderfull colors.

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a few new pics of the progress I have made, and little more progress on the window, a new Roman shade I made for the window(only 3 more to go) some progress on the chandelier and a view of the south side with one coat of the tangerine paint. That's all folks, back to the sewing machine tonight..

Here is a link that might be useful: progress photos

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Flag, I'm just so ENVYOUS it's not decent!! LOL. I love love love everything about this, and you are using so many of those bright fiestay colors.
    DOUBLE TRIPLE HOLY DAWG SNOT like BAMA alwasy says. and more.

where did you get all of those cool jars you used for the tess?? I especially love those round candy jars, have found some but they are so expensive it's not in my cards yet.

You should start having mosiac/art tours to your workshop and grouds, anad then then the tour could stop off at Slow's too!!!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mer- most of my jars are canning jars the large candy jars are from SA. Most of the plastic candy jars are from USPlastics.com. I have ordered a lot of my plastic containers from them. They are a lot cheaper that the Container Store which is where Sonia King says she gets hers. lol..I am certainly not in a class with her!. As for the tours, too time consuming usless it is one of you guys and you are always welcome. I think Slow is due to bring her daughter and her friend this weekend. Her yard is so neat, she keeps coming up with off the top ideas...
    Thanks for the kudos, I just love the bright colors and I am sure they will move inside here before long, I have already been looking at my sewing/laundry room and thinking tangerine and grape..lol..

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I love, love, love this studio and want to live there in my dreams! The colors are so cheerful and there are smiles everywhere I look. What a wonderful thing to do for yourself, Flag!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Ooooooooooooh. I was mistaken when I said I'd noticed Roman shades on your window before. You're replacing the one I saw. THIS IS WONDERFUL! Re FLAG's back gardens, I could pitch a tent and never leave that wonderful place. I never tire of visiting it.

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Down with the bland, up with the bling. Yes,my friend, I am replacing the white with color....lots of color. As for the tent, it would have to not have too big a footprind as I don't have a lot of flat open space here. Thanks Slow, you are running me a close second on Art Park. lol

• shrty411
    15 years ago

You've created such an awesome space!! I love the windows and the wonderful colors!!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Shorty. I wish you could ALL be here to see it in person and we could have a big Mosaic party.

• bamasusanna
    15 years ago

"Art Park" *snicker*

• gibsona
    15 years ago

Flag, I can't tell you how much I want your workshop!! It is sooo organized and so fun. Got a question, on the window frames - did you put up backerboard or is it just the regular wood? Think that will be the first idea I steal!! ;0) I swear one day I AM driving over to see you and Slow! Can't wait to see the next updates!
    Have a good one!
    Ann

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann- I am using thinset right on top of the chartreuse paint on wood. These two windows are under the porch and protected a little from the weather. I have purchased cedar fence boards that I am goint to rip to fit around the porch posts. This will make the posts look fore substantial and I intend to mosaic each board drilling holes for mounting to the posts and putting dowels in the holes while mosaicing. I will then clad each post with mosaic also. I had thought about using the hardibacker board on the posts, but the cedar is much less expensive and will last forever. I will just use thinset on the cedar also. When I do the two end windows I will do them on backer board or cedar as I don't want to mosaic from a ladder. I am using a two step ladder to reach the tops of these windows and it is the pits going up and down.
    Good luck and go ahead and do it, I think it would be awesome for us all to have mosaic around us all the time.

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

I can't look anymore flagtruck!
    It makes me so envious! I'm ready to take out a loan to
    to do that kind of studio!!!! You are killing me!LOL!
    It's just too AMAZING! I want your life!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are a few new pics some headway,,but then. I'm not as fast as my buddy Slow. There are also some details of the window facing close up. I will get back to this tomorrow, kinda under the weather today.

Here is a link that might be useful: a few update pics

• roseandfox
    15 years ago

You guys are making me breathless!!! The work is beautiful and so fast! I never thought of myself as slow, but compared to you, Slow and a few others here --- I'm a SNAIL --- arrgghhh.... GOOD WORK!

• gibsona
    15 years ago

OMG! Now I reallly love the windows! NO GROUT!! Looks like it's just "find a spot and stick it down". Beautiful!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks you guys. It seems hard to do as I do not want any of the background color showing thru. I really don't know why, but just a rule I made up for myself. I am working above shoulder height and the going is a little slower. I have alost finished the last roman shade and will hang it today. I went to walmart for some more cleats to wrap the cords on and only in a kit now. So, I will have to make some from beads or something. It is cool here so it will be a little later when I get out today. Thanks again for the compliments.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Beautiful, as usual. Love every detail, and some I recognize from our Dallas shopping spree. Me? fast? NOT.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I just love that it's so chaotically colorful and fun and then SEEMS so random, but I KNOW it takes so much thought to have it actually play out so perfectly. It is wild and wonderful. I adore those window frames!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, just WAIT 'till y'all see what else she's gonna do w/it all.

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

I loved looking at your pictures, Flag!
    What fun!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Eye candy is such an understatement! What a thrill to see a couple of familiar tessies! Love it, love it, love it.

• roseandfox
    15 years ago

Just perused every one of your posted pix -- what a JOB (your work - not my drooling...) Your studio looks wonderful, very inviting and happy. -- Thanks for letting us visit (wish I could do it in person!) - Outstanding work.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

GREAT PICS!!! I feel like I've come for a visit!!! I'm off to work with a smile on my face...ahhh...Eye Candy!!!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys are really TOO MUCH. I have been in a slump for a week or so and was slowed down week before last by a heart attack and trip to the hospital, I am regaining my strength and you all make it worthwhile to keep on keepin on. I am sitting here now looking at the front porch or the studio shining in the west sun and wanting to be back out there. It has been a mite cool today, but tomorrow I am in the studio working even if I don't get the outside windows finished. Thanks again to all of you for the lovely compliments.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

We are SOOOOOOOOOO glad to have you back, Flag!

• gibsona
    15 years ago

OMG! Hope you're doing ok. Looking at that view has got to be good medicine! Keep up the amazing work!
    Ann

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Flag you have my prayers for your continued recovery. Please take care of yourself. I hope that you can get out to your workshop today.It will probably do you good even if you just do a little sorting or the like. Keep us posted ok?

• roseandfox
    15 years ago

Don't Do That Again!!! OMG -- I hope you are on the mend and all better!! Think good thoughts and plan more projects -- that'll get all your good endorphins going. We are pulling for you...

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the good wishes. All is well, I am gradually getting my strength back. Nice weather today and I got quite a bit done. I will keep you posted.Thanks again.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

OMG! Darlin my prayers for your quick recovery are goin up!

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Holy Moly Flagtruck!!! I just went through all of your pages and am blown away! How fun is that!!!!!Looks like a lifetime of art at your park!!! Hope you are feeling better too...I have a question about your mosaic sticks. Are you using thinset? And, if so or whatever you are using are they holding up good? I did one on a 2x2 piece of wood and it fell apart in a year or so.
    Just love your work and would love to see it in person too.. if I ever get to Texas will have to look you up...fabulous!!! Dottie

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks txfern.. I am getting better and stronger every day. Dottie, the sticks are made from some scrap lamiated plywood left over after my son cut out some hunting bows. The first ones I did fell apart too as I sealed the wood with waterseal like for decks...NOT a good idea I find out later...the waterseal has something in it that eventually repels the thinset..so I have a couple that are peeling. The red and blue ones in the pics and a green one, I used 2 coats of KILZ latex primer...let it dry and used thinset and also DAP acrylic adhesive...I did not grout the red or blue one...just layered tess on it, then sealed it all over with tilelab sealer. So far they have held up...The major lesson learned is not to use waterseal on anything for outdoors. I cannot attest to the longevity of them, they are approaching their second winter here in TX. Good luck. Carol

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Oh Flag, sorry to hear you were in the hospital, but good to know you are back home and on the mend. Try to relax and enjoy all this beauty around you that you've created. Don't push yourself too much.
    by the way, i posted on Carl's that Delphi has a workshop contest, and I think you should enter, Surely you have the coolest place around!!!

take care and I am finally making some of those cool concrete block stands. But.. i can't find the right tiles to cover the holes!!! any ideas. they are so much fun, did one with my ugly tiles to get rid of , and trying another with the rest of them...

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mer- if you can't find the 6" tiles at lowes or hd, get some concrete backerboard and cut with razor knife to fit, thinset it over the holes and then tile. Hurry up and post pics. I am doing better and the weather is turning better. A salad plate or bread & Butter plate will work also over the holes...good luck .

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

OMG...I am just now catching up and so glad to hear you are on the mend! What a scary thing to have happen! Your place is the happiest place around, so I am sure you will soon be back to your normal self! But don't over do it...we like having you around, ya know!
    Please take care!!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Thanks Flag, and enter that contest!! You're place is just awesome and truly drool worthy, so don't slip in any of it we all might have left around on the pix. ROFL

• gretch1964
    15 years ago

Dang women, i sure hope you are up and at them again and on the mend. Hugs.

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Gee, Flag, so sorry to hear you were sick!! Hope you get back to normal soon!! AND take care of yourself!!!!!!!!!!

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Oh Flagtruck! My heart goes out to you! I can't believe you
    are back at it already. You are Amazing Woman!
    Sorry I wasn't here to get the updte on your heart attack.
    I ended up going back to work, and haven't been online for a while. You are just amazing! So glad you are ok.

Sponsored