Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Grotto Beginnings

texaswild
15 years ago

Now donchy'all laugh. The grotto looks pretty sad right now, but "I have a dream". Started this last spring, then it got too hot, then I lost interest blah, blah, blah. Almost tore it down cuz I also lost the vision. Finished cretin' it yesterday and got this much mosaicing done today. I'm still building it as I go. At this point I think there'll be a tall cross on the right - also made from the wire mesh - and on the left and maybe both sides - some round pedestals - different heights. Outside of the main piece seen here - large half bowls/vases w/be attached to the sides for planting Impatiens and ferns, and the background w/be filled in w/white rocks. I tried the white rocks around the edge for building enough area to support white shells around the face. Enough yaking - here goes for laughs.

Grotto beginnings

Comments (62)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, DAISY: I don't put any kind of spiritual significance on this piece. You know I like religious art, so dare I call this an attempt at making art? It's just something different to mosaic. I was inspired by Riana to make a grotto. I don't have her strength, to work w/the wire mesh, so it's a meager attempt. She tells me she's finished her 96 ft. bench. She wrapped the mesh around several metal chairs. It lights up at night w/multiple planters etc. She's the strongest little lady I've ever seen. I've identified the other pieces that w/accompany this piece. I'll be rockin' them on my workshop table, believe me. Getting down and dirty on this piece has been a challenge.

• klinger
    15 years ago

Oh Betty I love this, it's so beautiful. Don't put your work down, it is awesome. Rianna is very inspirational, but this grotto is really getting me inspired, to do one, hmmm,
    Cindy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, KLINGER - Soooooo nice to see you back. Have missed you TONS. Now put a fire under Janeybo to come back. Here's the progress today. Hope to grout the blue tile/mirror part tomorrow and be done w/the main feature. Gonna begin on the second act immediately. BTW - takes a picture for me to see the flaws - w/fill in that leg on the right w/a rock or two.
    Finished Gluing

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Simply stunning grotto!! I love love love it. Yes, do not put yourself down this will be awesome can't wait to see your progress.

I have to see a pix too, because when you've been looking at something a long time, it does HELp to take a step back and see it through different eyes, and the camera is perfect for that.

So inspirational !!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Is the frame done in the Riana method, Slow?

• shrty411
    15 years ago

What a wonderful project!!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I am totally blown away. You and your work rock my world.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

You Lil Heifer!!! Ya'll put me to S.H.A.M.E!!! I haven't even looked in my messy Art Room in months!!! I'm still saving up for my Throne Chair. Sounds like I got a LOT of work to get such a big project done!!! Plus I got a real collection of birdhouses going on that I wanna mosaic and have copper roofs on. I better start saving some of my energy for me and not all for work!!!

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

does anyone do birdhouses with license plates?
    I think those are cool...

and Slow...are you going to consider making some 'stations of the cross'??
    they could outline the fence and yard in a complimentary spacing around....

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To answer a couple questions - yes, DAISEY - I made the frame from rebar and wire mesh last summer. SEA - no - no more plans except for the few pieces that I'll put nearby such as I'm posting today. On top of the two wire mesh round pedestals and the wooden spindal thingy w/go those old amber light fixture globes from the 50s. I have four, but w/use three. They'll hold votives inside as well as on the inside of the main piece - w/maybe an angel to accompany. I've had the wrought iron cross in the yard for several years, and never found a place it was comfortable until now. Saves me from building the one I'd planned w/the mesh. I cut the mirror for it. Still have to paint gold the ends of the cross bar and top. Only got to work half a day today. Thank y'all for the compliments.
    Grotto parts

• pghgardnewbie
    15 years ago

Gorgeous work, as always! I am so amazed by the diversity and imagination in your work. Keep pluggin', I can't wait to see it completed!

BTW, I have been meaning to ask you- you have a plastic mannequin form hanging in one of your pics. It has a hook on top? Do you plan to mosaic it, or use it for another project? I have one just like it, but didn't think that I could use it for mosaics. I might just decoupage it and hang it in my little craft cubby.

Cheers-keep at it!

Jenny

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, PGH: I've had that mannequin for ages, it seems. Think I ordered it off Ebay a couple yrs. ago with the intention of pouring it w/thinset - w/wire mesh inside for strength - and putting it outside in the garden. W/need to make a plynth for it first, and figure out what kind of pedestal to put it on, and WHERE TO PUT IT. Decisions, decisions. You may have just inspired me to make that my project after I finish the grotto area. BTW, folks, I KNOW this grotto thingy isn't very grotto-like, it's just some fantasies I am putting together. Not much rhyme nor reason for anything I do except "playing w/my toys". Oh, and CALAM - nice to see you back on the forum. GET BUSY!!! Have missed your work. See you soon in PV.

• klinger
    15 years ago

Okay Betty the more I look at this the more I know I'm gonna do a grotto too.I just love the look of it. My yard is very much a wip as we only moved in in June. I think a grotto would be perfect in one of my new beds. I removed everything from this bed and relocated most of it. Now it's naked and I was waiting for some inspiration to get started on making it nice for spring again. Grotto is going to be the centrepiece I think,yahoo. You got me inspired for another project.
    Cindy

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Holy Moly, girl. Your name here is sure apt! You are moving right along. I just can't believe how much you've gotten done! What a wonderful piece this grotto is...what a wonderful garden it's residing in...and what an inspired gal you are!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, KLINGER - so nice to see you're inspired by my meager attempt to make a grotto. W/you use the Riana method or your wonderful concrete techniques? The more I work on this, the more I think I might continue to add pieces when I'm low on inspiration for other things. DAISY: This is pretty fast work considering no grouting w/be done except for the stars/mirror sections. Hardest part is washing the rocks to rid them of the marble dust. All you do is mix mortar, stick and squish - pretty fast. Rain is coming so I'm shutting down earlier than w/like - too tired anyway to continue. BTW - I never could hold a camera straight. It's not THAT crooked.
    Today's progress

• klinger
    15 years ago

Betty it's looking better all the time. I will do the rianna method. I have mesh just waiting. Once I get my tender plants in the green house and yard tidied a bit thats next on my list. I'm also going to be doing a kitchen backsplash for my new place this winter.
    Cindy

• bamasusanna
    15 years ago

Dang Slow!! Your back yard is the PERFECT place for a grotto!!
    This is looking nice. You never cease to amaze me.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, BAMA: Great to see you again - miss you LOTS. That's what Riana said when she was sitting at the patio table looking out in that corner (remember when we shoved the mosaicing aside and ate the stew in the midst of the mess?) Thank y'all. Here's the lates. Told y'all I make it up as I go. Bought a whole bunch of these terra cotta tiles for 25 cents a piece at an old store closing downtown, so figured they'd make great planters around the "courtyard". White Impatiens next spring????? Gotta go back to Lowes the third time for more white rocks to finish covering the little courtyard area. I KNOW what FLAG is gonna tell me - mosaic the scalloped borders - NOT. I'm thinking also of a path leading to the main - too small - path. The whole yard is covered in roots, and it's hard to dig, but I might can do it a little at a time. Whaday'all think? The last pedestal is too wet to move, so tomorrow I'll put that in place behind the two on the right, lay in the white rocks, and w/have to put the grouting of the blue tile/mirror sections on hold until next week. DD is coming next Thursday for the weekend, and I need to RAKE out the house.
    /

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Something went wrong on that posting the site for Photobuckets - trying again.
    More progress

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

OH MY GOSH! Just let me be busy for a few days and look what you get into! This is great, I am so proud of you and what you have accomplished. This will be the beam in your backyard....what a neat piece of work and so ingenius of you to use all your stored goodies. I am going to have to come check this out in person....can't wait to get a real live view. I think this is GREAT!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I was wondering where you were and why you hadn't commented. Whaaaaaa - no comments from my buddy. Get on over here. It DOES sorta glow in that far corner. Finishing up today.

• meadel
    15 years ago

Holy moley ! You've been rocking and rolling on this !! It looks great !
    I'd like to see this in person too ! If I ever get out west you just might see a stranger wandering your gardens : )

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shuttin' the shop for today - totally wiped out from digging the path. Still have to grout the inside of the main piece, get votives for it and candles for the amber globes, but got tons of other stuff to do b/f I can finish the project. Y'all have been great - watching me work - makes me smile and encouraged. Since this is the focal point of the very small back yard, do y'all think I should cover the gravel in the path w/white rock, or leave natural to go w/the courtyard edgers? Advise me please. FLAG is coming tomorrow to have a look-see.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Grief! I had so many corrections the link didn't get in there.
    Today's progress

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

I think white, but I will decide for sure tomorrow. Great job m'lady, you have been busy. I didn't know you were so good with grottos...you are giving me ideas of my water grotto...love it.

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

This is just so fun to watch. I'd love to have a place so serene to sit in the evenings. Beautiful work slowmedown,
    really inspires.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well FLAG - I've been urging you to start it. I know you're waiting for someone to dig, but you could start the structure NOW. See you in a little while. LOVE: I can see the corner from where I sit on my patio, and when my DD comes next weekend, it, as well as the mirror on the wall above the toidy planter are going to be lighted up all three nights she is here. Thanks.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

AWESOME!!! I LOVE Matilda too, she's looking Spectacular!!! That is gonna look sooo GOOD all lit up in the evening!!! I Gotta light my Flower Globe up more often...thinking of placing it where I can see it more too!!! I got up at 5am(as usual..YUK!) and sat here and went thru all 69pgs of Flag's album...WOW, what inspiration!!! Now I think I'll do the same with yours Slow!!! Somethings gotta motivate me!!! H E L P !!!!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Slow, wow, you really moved on this project! It's wonderful! I know Flag thought the white would look best on the path, but I'd vote for natural so the grotto stands out on its own. We'll see what you two decide though. Some times you gotta just trust your instincts...and you've both got a TON of THOSE. Have fun together this weekend!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The dream continues. Wanted to use the rest of the terra cotta tiles. Haven't buried them in the ground yet, but I'm thinking of using the little tulip-shaped light fixture globes used in fans that the thrift stores carry to put on top of the tiles to hold votives - thereby having a lighted path at night. Between each one, I'll continue planting the Monkey Grass I started w/yesterday. Also thinking I'll put the white rocks only on the tops of the bricks. What say y'all? CALAM - definitely, I plan to go to Bucerias. Was hoping you'd agree. Thanks, y'all.
    New Idea

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

W-O-W!!! Just trying to catch up with this and WOW!
    What a beautiful serene place you have created! So looking forward to seeing how it looks next spring with all the flowers and plants...it's already to amazing!

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

This grotto is OUT OF SIGHT! I saw this yesterday and you can not believe how it lights up Slow's backyard! She was supposed to be cleaning house yesterday but I see she added the terracotta rounds after I left her house. You guys would not believe how this became the highlight of her yard. She has done a spectular job on this. I think her idea of doing the tops of the brick outlining the path is great. It certainly becomes the focal point she was going for. The red mirror on the wall above the toidy is really great in person and so is the red primitive cross. She really goes to town when she gets started.
    I offered to help her organize her workshop, but that's not how she likes it....so....I came home with lot's of inspiration and went back to work on the studio windows.
    GREAT JOB Slow...I love it.

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

impressive and loving every step of the way on this..
    with all the seriousness of the true beauty, now I have an observation to ask a question about..

going to your photo album, on the page that shows the progress of the grotto, are the two pictures that show the toidy, with the plant in it...

the first picture shows the plant sorta droopy and in the second one, it shows the plant standing at attention..
    uh...what went into the toidy, to make it perk up???

Becky, as always, with a mind on 'tilt'

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I need a new back. Thanks, FLAG for that wonderful critique. SEA: I was wondering when someone w/comment on the drooping Elephant Ear. I took the droopy picture (to show the votive shelf that didn't show in the first picture after I looked at it) about a couple hrs. later. I KNEW I should have cut off the tall ones, like when you plant annuals, "pinch they little heads off", but I was too tired to bother. I've since changed my mind on the plant and put in a lime green Hosta. Won't be able to finish the planting of the Monkey Grass between the lights and grouting the back of the main piece until next week. House cleaning has been put off far too long. Salv. Army wasn't open today, and I couldn't wait 'till 1:00 for Good Will to open, so I went to Lowes and bought the fixture globes and put red votive holders inside to give a warm glow. I sat outside last night for cocktails w/all the candles lighted - what a wonderful scene. The path is also necessary to help me get to/from to light/snuff the candles - yard is very dark. Gotta give it another try tonight. Wish y'all could see it lighted - pictures don't work. Thanks for your encouragement. Too tired to read the rest of the forum.
    Almost finished

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

Boy, you have done a lot since I left yesterday.Just like you to be impatient and not get a bargain.lol I know these are wonderful all lit up. Good job Slow.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, FLAG. Was too tired to go back outside last evening. Hate to leave it for another week but must. To be continued. I'll be on a search for a pedestal sink for a water feature, over which I'll put another mirror. Might just hang a chandelier in there somewhere. This w/be on the wall beside the toidy planter. You inspire me waaaaaaay more than you know.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Looks awesome Slow!!! And I bet it will look lovely when Klinger and I see it in person too...all lit up!! We'll talk more about that when we see you in PV!!heh heh! I can't believe how much stuff I am scoring by working at my fav thrift store!!! I've just hit the mother lode and will have to post/brag some pics!ha!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

It's so fun to see the grotto as it really sits in the yard. It's wonderful, Slow. What an unusally spectacular project to conceive and construct. I know we'll be seeing others inspired by yours. How I wish I could be there to celebrate the first lighting with you. Great project!

• klinger
    15 years ago

Betty, wow what a big project and you've just plowed through it. You amaze me. It does look so wonderful I just love the whole look,
    Cindy

• texasfern
    15 years ago

You have soooo much energy, to say nothing of creativity!
    It is wonderful, I too, wish I could be there for the first lighting.

• wackyweeder
    15 years ago

I just saw this is done already! Holy cow!
    Its gorgeous, I love love love that cross. Its just wonderful.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Finally grouted the main piece and planted between the lights. Phew! Many thanks to all of you for encouraging, complimentary words.
    Grotto Finished

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW!! Are you setting candles in the grotto too?!! ZOWIEEEE!!!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

This is truley a beautiful, awesome, majestic place you have created! Bravo to you!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, y'all. CALAM, I thought about putting the candles in the "courtyard" tiles, but they'll have white Impatiens next spring. There are candles in the amber globes. It's really beautiful at night. Toby likes it too; it's become his favorite "business" spot - bratty dawg!

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Oh Slow, what an awesome job you did on this!! I love the path and the lights...and well it's just BEAUTIFUL!!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

SLow!!! You are so inspirationally amazing. This is just so wonderful, I kinda see it like a winter wonderland in the winter, and a peaceful destination in the summer. AWESOME!!

You go girl, i don't think you EVER sleep, didn't you just have your DD over for the weekend, and here you go getting right back to where you left off!!
    So funny about Toby.. You should take it as a compliment that he loves your new space LOL

You go girl!! Keep us all inspired

• bamasusanna
    15 years ago

Oooh Slow!! Holy dawg snot!!
    What a wonderful grotto you ended up with!
    I guess that means Toby approves.

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Wow!!!!! It's even more amazing that I thought!
    You did an unreal job on that. Such vision!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, y'all. I'm pretty pleased w/it myself. Now I need to give an evening patio party w/my friends, but it's getting chilly now, so I'm planning a spring fling at dusk.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington