Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kerapoxy black grout

Posted by iminmystudio (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 16, 09 at 17:26

In a previous post I've questioned black grout bleeding white when used as a water bowl, this week I picked up my Kerapoxy grout made by Mapei it is an epoxy(2pac)grout which the Mapei rep says will solve all my problems.

Well I used it last night and although it was very messy and sticky to use after a final clean up I was really happy with the look, until I went out 3 hours later to find the grout still soft, I was expecting it to harden really quickly and by the time I went to bed I had tears of frustration thinking 'I give up on water bowls!'( I'll add here it was $120.00 AUD for 10kg)

I woke up this morning and it is almost hard but still a bit sticky and where the grout is thicker I can push it in, like it has a crusty outer shell with a thick gum center. I was under the impression you had to work quickly with this stuff as it set very quickly, I am now hoping I'm wrong and by tonight I can be happy again.

Has any one else used this product? I'll ring my supplier when they open but I just needed to rant, thanks.

Deb.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kerapoxy black grout

It worked !!
Took a while but by Saturday it was hard and not sticky, and it is rock hard, hubby says I probally got the ratio wrong when I mixed it so it took longer than normal to cure but he tells me with 2pac products once they harden that shouldn't matter? well I'll fill it up with water today and see what happens, wish me luck.

Deb.

o

Deb, what happened?

o

I am so happy the grout has dried glossy black and my bowl is water proof, left it over night with water then tipped it out and let it dry naturally so any residue would be left and it has dried without any white stains.
I think I have finally figured out how to show you some pictures so maybe I can get more involve on here!

I have loaded my pictures onto photo bucket..

http://photobucket.com/itzoriginal

the bowl I have just done is on page 5 it has the dragonflies, I'll try to work out how to put photos onto post for next time.

I have been selling my work for years now and have wanted to make huge water bowls like you see in Asia for gardens or I imagine large bowls at the front door with floating flowers, I'm so excited that I have found a grout that I trust 100% so I can sell them with confidence.

Cheers Deb.

o

BEAUTIFUL work, INMY: The fish table is wonderful, as well as your water bowl. Love your lamps, especially the little one w/white sea glass w/beads. Glad you found a good grout, and also glad you'll be posting pictures. Your work is gallery-quality.

o

Thanks slowmedown I find you guys on here a great inspiration. I love making it all to the point that at times its all I want to do, it drives my poor husband insane.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here