Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadel2

Patina help

meadel
15 years ago

I just made my first SG sun-catcher ( pic later) I cleaned it well ( even used flux remover) and applied the patina, but only part of it took it ! I cleaned it again but it still won't take on the rest !

I used 60/40 solder and patina for lead. Any suggestions on what I can do to get it all colored?

Comments (9)

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All it took was a shake of the bottle ! duh !
    I was going to give this to my sister who's name translates to "oak" but I think that I'll keep this one for myself .

(disclaimer: There is NO political meaning in this, it's just a fall decoration. I do love trees,especially big old oaks ! Reminds me of my pet squirrels too.)

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Beautiful SG. Glad you figured out what was going. Kind if frustrating. Then you feel like duh. Been there and done that. I can see why you might want to keep it.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Looks fine now!!Will brighten up fall days!! Jan

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. Glad you figured out that one. You know? Call me nuts over mosaics, but this w/be a perfect piece to put in a mosaic for the focal.

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ya'll ~ I am glad I figured it out too ~ Funny how fast that patina settled.
    I need a lot more practice to get lighter folder lines. I recently took a class in decorative soldering and just love to melt that metal ! ( reminds me of the "Terminator" guy too ..haha)
    Slow, If you're nuts so am I ! I can see that too ! And although I love stained glass, I don't think that is my passion to create. I don't think I can be patient enough or precise enough for it. But I do see incorporating soldered stuff into my mosaics, it's an intriguing media.

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

I have had a real hard time having the copper patina to take. The other's seem to work ok. I have used soldered pieces in my work before, and it's really cool! I have noticed over time the pieces I soldered react to the grout.
    I was told I need to make sure I polish the soldered pieces really well before and after grout, to keep them from tarnishing. Can't wait to see what you do with the new idea!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

And there I'm nuts again cuz it wouldn't bother me to have the solder tarnish. I even put rusty pieces in my work - rusty nails, washers - whatever. IMO it adds interest.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Ohhhh, Lovely!!! I scored 2 books on decorative soldering at a yard sale a few yrs ago, and Still haven't really done anything in the way of decorative solder. But I have noticed that I still love doing stained glass but have gravitated towards my usual thing these days...3d!!! I saw a guy at a Christmas Craft Fair a few yrs agao, and all his work was decorative solder, it pretty unique around these parts and I was impressed with his work too! He displayed a GORGEOUS Nativity Scene...(still on my "To Do List"! LOL! Copper patina is always hit and miss for me but I did hear that it works better if the piece is really clean and dry...I'll have to remember to shake too!!! I also learned that adding a bit of salt to black patina makes it even nicer, I put it in a dish and add salt, then sponge it on with a little pcs of sponge(and some latex gloves!lol) and I have also used a toothbrush to apply iy. then I clean it really good and use carwax with silicone in it and it keeps shing for a long time! Jane

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz